State Registration of Boats - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 10-04-2019

Re: State Registration of Boats

In Wyoming the county assessor takes your money for a title then the treasurer takes your money for registration for your cars and trailers then you have to go to Game and Fish to register your boat. You also need to buy an annual AIS (aquatic invasive species) sticker.

I have trouble imagining I can get Coast Guard Documentation in Wyoming. As far as I can tell the only Coast Guard Station in Wyoming was a Loran Station.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 10-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
...I have trouble imagining I can get Coast Guard Documentation in Wyoming. As far as I can tell the only Coast Guard Station in Wyoming was a Loran Station.
Pretty sure the CG’s National Vessel Documentation Center doesn’t care where the boat is actually kept. There are some minimum vessel size requirements. The hailport only needs to be a US City and State. I frequently see landlocked combinations, presumably identifying the owners home, although, there need not be any personal or physical connection to the hailport, whatsoever.
jephotog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 49 Old 10-05-2019
Senior Citizen

Wisconsin Registration Requirements:
The Wisconsin boat registration period runs for 3 years.
All motorized vessels and boats used on waters of the state; including electric trolling motors.
Sailboats greater than 12 feet in length used on waters of the state.
Boat trailers under 3000 lbs. GVW do not require registration.
Boats are registered through the DNR.
Trailers through the DMV.

post #24 of 49 Old 10-05-2019
Master Mariner

I think if you expect law enforcement to try to locate your stolen watercraft, then you should have to pay for that service by registering it.
SC will not allow you to register a documented vessel, but you are still required to pay excise tax on it annually. As your 1st and full time home the exemption is pretty fair, dropping the fee for our boat in Charleston County to around $100.00 a year.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 49 Old 10-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I think if you expect law enforcement to try to locate your stolen watercraft, then you should have to pay for that service by registering it.
SC will not allow you to register a documented vessel, but you are still required to pay excise tax on it annually. As your 1st and full time home the exemption is pretty fair, dropping the fee for our boat in Charleston County to around $100.00 a year.
I don't think many boats are stolen.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #26 of 49 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I don't think many boats are stolen.
Not many sailboats, anyway.

I found this:
2018 US Watercraft Theft and Recovery

Quote:
There were a total of 4,499 Watercraft thefts in 2018, an 8% decrease in watercraft thefts from 2017. The watercraft stolen most often in 2018 was a “Yamaha – WaveRunner® personal watercraft (PWC)” (673 thefts), followed up by the “Bombardier Corp. PWC” (417 thefts). Of the 4,499 watercraft stolen in 2018, 1,733, or 39% were recovered through 04/04/2019. The highest number of watercraft thefts in 2018 took place in Florida (25%). The Top 3 watercraft theft counties were Miami-Dade County, Florida (282 thefts), Broward County, Florida (134 thefts), and Sacramento County, California (67 thefts). The Top 3 watercraft theft cities in 2018 were all located in Florida: Miami (203 thefts), Fort Lauderdale (68 thefts), and Tampa (64 thefts). Of the 1,733, recovered watercrafts from 01/01/2018 through 04/04/2019, 52% were recovered within 9 days of being stolen. The holiday with the most watercraft thefts in 2018 was Labor Day, with 26 thefts.
Quote:
5. Sailboat
 Thefts: 33
 Recoveries: 21
 Recovery Rate: 64%
So less than 0.1% of stolen boats are sailboats.
SanderO and cherylchecheryl like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #27 of 49 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I think if you expect law enforcement to try to locate your stolen watercraft, then you should have to pay for that service by registering it......

Just for giggles, why would we not already be paying for that in our sales and income taxes? Particularly those attached to marine services that wouldn't exist without boaters. Huge revenue numbers, if you think about it. Substantially more than registration fees.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 49 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Not many sailboats, anyway... So less than 0.1% of stolen boats are sailboats.
The slow-motion get-a-way probably deters thieves. The sheriff has time to stop for coffee and donuts on the way to the dock, and still can catch them.
Minnesail likes this.
post #29 of 49 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just for giggles, why would we not already be paying for that in our sales and income taxes? Particularly those attached to marine services that wouldn't exist without boaters. Huge revenue numbers, if you think about it. Substantially more than registration fees.

" If it Moves, Tax it, If it Keeps Moving Regulate it, If it stops moving, subsidize it. "
post #30 of 49 Old 10-06-2019

Sounds like MT is sweet for registration. Beautiful state..just wish it could skip over winter.
Iirc, SD was the go2 state for rv nomads...and well still be so.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in