A raft up question and a near miss. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 10-06-2019
Dirt Free

Re: A raft up question and a near miss.

The boat at the far end of the anchorage, away from the dinghy dock and all the other boats .... thats me.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 10-06-2019

I don't trust raft ups especially by stick pots.

Some years ago we anchored in the area we prefer in Newport Harbor, north east of Ida Lewis. It's a bit shallower there and we've never had any issues of dragging and set 100' of chain.

So after dinner I pop my head up for a look around and see 4 or 5 (can't recall) less than 30' power boats rafted together and now just forward and to my stbd side. They had dragged. No one was on board. I suspected that their anchor with short scope had hooked my chain and I was holding them. I called the harbor master who came out and dissembled the raft and moved the boats one by one. I don't recall where he put them, but in the process the Oldport launch arrived with the (probably) inebriated owners... who got a tongue lashing from the Harbor master... or maybe more. No damage probably because the harbor master was able to save the disaster. I imagined they were familiar with this and know exactly what to do. He may have cut the anchor rode that had snagged my chain and moved the entire raft with his boat and was going to set an anchor on one of the other boats... when the owners arrived.

Of course you can't control someone from anchoring up wind of you and even too close or dragging... or a wind shift. But you can move YOUR boat when conditions change and should be prepared to do so.... quickly. I can do this with the electric windlass and have re anchored multiple times for the above reasons. If an anchor is crowded I prefer to anchor near to what appear to me salty cruiser's boats who I presume know how to properly set an anchor... usually they have chain and a snubber... and if I can ask nearby boats how much chain they have down.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 23 Old 10-06-2019
Old soul

Here’s a pic of one of those famous power boat rafts. It’s heading out to sea here, with most of the people on shore partying. I was just about to jump in my dinghy when, luckily, someone emerged from one of the boats and managed to motor the lot back into place.

Bizarre… seriously, what is it with power boaters and rafts? I just don’t get it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGA0903.jpg  
SanderO and Minnesail like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-06-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

and folks wonder why i donot do raft ups....
SanderO and RegisteredUser like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #15 of 23 Old 10-06-2019

Its a havasu girls gone wild thing
post #16 of 23 Old 10-06-2019
al brazzi

15 Kts when you anchored and 25 later, crazy. Anyone who doesn't know what the weather will do (who does really) and overnight to boot. Just bad seamanship. We do rafts and break up or put away overnight.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post
I don't need to ask myself. When we anchored the wind was blowing 15 knots where I dropped the hook and 25 knots in the place we moved to later. By the time we reset the wind had dropped to less than 10 in that location.
Just offering a perspective you might reconsider next time. You should be able to handle 25kts with your ground tackle. A gaggle of rafted stinkpots is a much bigger risk that you can't manage on your own. I'd take the 25kts any day.
wymbly1971 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
15 Kts when you anchored and 25 later, crazy. Anyone who doesn't know what the weather will do (who does really) and overnight to boot. Just bad seamanship. We do rafts and break up or put away overnight.
If your anchor is properly set in 10 knots it should dig in more and the wind pipes up to 25 knots especially with the correct scope.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #19 of 23 Old 10-07-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Bizarre… seriously, what is it with power boaters and rafts? I just don’t get it.
Nor I. One of the things about sailing that I find most appealing is how few people are on my boat.
SanderO and MikeOReilly like this.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-07-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We raft up sometimes. Three boats is the limit.

While we like our privacy, sometimes it’s fun to have a party without having to go in the dink. For some of my friends with small kids it’s a giant PIA.

We always are about safety. We watch the weather as well as impending weather. T storms are a no no. We always discuss with the other boats the safety. The anchor being used, the spreader placement, the boat traffic, placement of fenders, springlines etc.

When we want to be alone....we are. When we want to hang out rafted together....we are. Rafting when done properly certainly does not take away from the sailing experience.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in