Sailing failures - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 110 Old 10-22-2019

Re: Sailing failures

S stay with the plan. We used to go back and forth and probably will again. But this year left the boat in Grenada. Prior insurance required a hurricane cradle. Current one doesnít. That cost $50 ec/month. So for less than $950EC/m you can leave a 46í boat on the hard in a monitored, safe marina. You can have yacht management and leave it in the water for less than half that cost.
Of course your monthly insurance costs go down for the lay up period so the expense is manageable. Annual costs with this plan are less than it was with May to November use rest layup in Rhode Island. Yard work bills are considerably less.
Additional plus is virtually no marina bills as no slip nor mooring fees when cruising.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (10-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 10-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
One of the important things that keeps my wife and I on board is the absence of having to live in the US northeast during winter. I havenít seen snow nor experienced freezing rain since 2013. You canít believe how nice it is to not chip ice, shovel snow, spread melt or run the snow blower.

When she complains about humidity I just chuckle and say well we can change that if you want. She grins and jumps off the sugar scoop for a dip.

People evolved in a semi tropical environment. Thatís where you want to be according to your biology. The upper Midwest leads to seasonal affectual disorder, drunkenness or too many children.
Personally I still love the seasonal changes. Even enjoy a nice blizzard from time to time. But, I'm now retired so I don't need to go anywhere just hunker down and enjoy the show. Putting the boat on land for the winter makes also me want get going in springtime to launch for the season. Though my gal and I do make plans to be someplace warm for as much of January as possible usually with a sail charter somewhere I also just booked seven days on a cruise ship in December leaving from New York because the price was right and figured I could use some sea staring time while heading to someplace warm. I ignore all the frivolity on board I'm just there to enjoy the sunrise, sunset and the sea.
chef2sail and Minnesail like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 110 Old 10-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
S stay with the plan. We used to go back and forth and probably will again. But this year left the boat in Grenada. Prior insurance required a hurricane cradle. Current one doesnít. That cost $50 ec/month. So for less than $950EC/m you can leave a 46í boat on the hard in a monitored, safe marina. You can have yacht management and leave it in the water for less than half that cost.
Of course your monthly insurance costs go down for the lay up period so the expense is manageable. Annual costs with this plan are less than it was with May to November use rest layup in Rhode Island. Yard work bills are considerably less.
Additional plus is virtually no marina bills as no slip nor mooring fees when cruising.
I also thought about wintering the boat down there... in water and fly down for some winter sailing. Maybe next winter???

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #94 of 110 Old 10-22-2019

Itís a long sail on 36í boat to the eastern Caribbean. Suspect if you do it you wonít want to come back. Would pick an island with cheap fares (Norwegian, JetBlue etc.) and cheap costs to have someone check on the boat (Chatham, Dominica,Grenada etc.). Youíre not offbeat. Know of people who do this.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #95 of 110 Old 10-25-2019
bell ringer

a sailing failure is when you need to put on shoes and long pants!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #96 of 110 Old 10-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
a sailing failure is when you need to put on shoes and long pants!
You’re not kidding. While sailing around the northern US this year I was in thermals until mid June.....now I’ve been in thermals since mid September...........
post #97 of 110 Old 10-25-2019

Our traditional shakedown cruise in the early season, often has evening temps in the 30s. Daytime in the 50s is very comfortable inside the enclosure greenhouse, but we drop the hook on Block Island, so you need to get cozy at night. Warm jammies and lots of blankets.

That one Ďback on the waterí cruise is met with great enthusiasm. Then all crew want warm, short and Ts weather asap.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #98 of 110 Old 10-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
On the topic of dry chem fire extinguishers. They should be turned upside down and shaken or spanked a couple times a year. The chemicals settle in the bottom and pack down over time preventing them from being expelled properly. Sounds goofy, but tis true - I worked for a fire safety service co once upon a time.

So just just use the boat a couple times a year? LOL!
post #99 of 110 Old 10-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerly winds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
On the topic of dry chem fire extinguishers. They should be turned upside down and shaken or spanked a couple times a year. The chemicals settle in the bottom and pack down over time preventing them from being expelled properly. Sounds goofy, but tis true - I worked for a fire safety service co once upon a time.

So just just use the boat a couple times a year? LOL!
Truth. LOL. Unless, it's on one of those amazing motionless cats 😉
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquarian For This Useful Post:
westerly winds (10-26-2019)
post #100 of 110 Old 10-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Ice is slippery and dangerous. Wifey is scared of falls and wears cleats over her shoes going to and from work. She wants to get out of cold winters when she retires. We had had a plan to live aboard and move back and force from the Caribe.... seems a lot of work.
Do it. You don't have to go all of the way down to the Caribbean if you don't want to. Winter in the Bahamas beats the hell out of the northeast, and you can still enjoy the nice summers in New England. We made it from the Abacos to Connecticut in 5 1/2 weeks this past May on a 30' boat with a combination of offshore hops and the ICW. Obviously we could have done it much faster if we had taken bigger jumps offshore.

I'm originally from Southern California but spent 29 years living in the northeast before finally escaping last year when we started cruising full-time. Each winter became harder and harder to get through. The last five years were the worst. I would start getting bummed out in August because I knew that it was going to start getting cold soon.

Last February I was floating on a swim noodle in Green Turtle Cay when I told Mr. Cthoops that it was the best winter I'd had in the past 29 years. I'm never going to live in a place with cold winters again. My life's too short to be cold for six+ months of the year.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in