Sailing failures - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 110 Old 10-27-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing failures

Not everybody dislikes the colder weather

Living someplace where every bird is a rat with wings doesn’t appeal to me. Visiting is OK and enough for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 110 Old 10-27-2019

We just took a swim off the beach at Grenada Marine. I got chilled in the water and was cold when I stood up and the breeze hit me. Brrrrr!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #103 of 110 Old 10-28-2019

Now that the leaves are falling and the boats are off the water I'm really starting to crave snow. I was just down looking over my snowshoes, and I've been riding my winter bike in preparation. Bring the snow!
MikeOReilly likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #104 of 110 Old 10-28-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Now that the leaves are falling and the boats are off the water I'm really starting to crave snow. I was just down looking over my snowshoes, and I've been riding my winter bike in preparation. Bring the snow!
Me too! I’ve avoided real Canadian winters the past three years by spending it in the Okanagan (Canada’s Florida). But not this year. Alberta-bound, then northern(ish) Ontario. Lots of snow and cold. Fun, fun .
Minnesail likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #105 of 110 Old 10-28-2019

Send pictures.
MikeOReilly likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #106 of 110 Old 10-28-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
That's just absolutely freaking insane!!!!!!!!!! I'm upset that I put on a pair of socks yesterday!
SanderO, Minnesail and mbianka like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #107 of 110 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Boat should be coming out this week. Meanwhile enjoying the peak Fall colors here on the Isle of Long. Will spend part of November winterizing the water system and projects on board. Jumping on Cruise Ship in December for some sea staring time and warm water swims. Most of January will be spent in Bonaire including a week on a sailboat. Come back for a little taste of winter maybe jump on another Cruise Ship last minute if the feeling strikes me. Key West in April. Bahamas in May. Then the sailing season begins again here in my local waters.
SanderO and Minnesail like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #108 of 110 Old 10-28-2019
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Well this thread seems to have evolved into why we like cold weather or no! For the record, love the snow and snow sports though last season cost me with a season ending injury that also took out much of sailing season. Still not 100% and may never be but will be back on the snow again and also heading to the boat this week. We gave up sailing decades ago to raise family, career and if boat ownership is ever considered foolish, try buying a small farm, then go into debt against it in retirement to start a new family business, oh and buy that sailboat of our dreams from 1989 when we first quit sailing. I had always dreamed of cruising around the world since reading Robin Lee Grahams book The Voyage of Dove. We have the boat that could do it, small by today's standards but not from the days of our youth, the Pardeys, etc. The dream is still alive but realize we have made our berth and now have become accepting of it. An earlier post speaks to his wife not being prepared anymore to go, we find ourselves there now as well. Almost three decades away from sailing also means we never developed the muscle memory for what to do in all situations and are still relearning. It is ok, simply being aboard our boat brings contentment and satisfaction that a least part of our plan did happen, Interlude came into our lives. Alfred Lord Tennyson's quote about love can certainly be subsided for dreams, as it is truly better to have dreamed and lost than to never have dreamed at all. We are better for it, and as the OP first questioned about stories of failure, no it is not a failure it didn't happen, failure is never having a dream or trying. Ya never know though, we spent much time one recent morning while at a marina in Annapolis talking with a couple on their boat, much like ours, who were getting ready to leave for points south and eventually a Pacific crossing. They were about our age, so there go many of the excuses! Meanwhile also getting ready to dust off the skis and snowboards!
mbianka likes this.
post #109 of 110 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Send pictures.
I'm actually not quite ready for snow. I still have some yard / garage / boat stuff that needs to be done before the snow covers us.

But mostly, once the leaves have fallen and it's cold, I want some snow on the ground! Much better white and pretty than just brown and cold.

We did get some great fall color this year.

The Minneapolis side of the Mississippi river, as viewed from the Ford Parkway Bridge

A Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum)

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 10-28-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #110 of 110 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I had always dreamed of cruising around the world since reading Robin Lee Grahams book The Voyage of Dove. We have the boat that could do it, small by today's standards but not from the days of our youth, the Pardeys, etc. The dream is still alive but realize we have made our berth and now have become accepting of it. An earlier post speaks to his wife not being prepared anymore to go, we find ourselves there now as well. Almost three decades away from sailing also means we never developed the muscle memory for what to do in all situations and are still relearning. It is ok, simply being aboard our boat brings contentment and satisfaction that a least part of our plan did happen, Interlude came into our lives. Alfred Lord Tennyson's quote about love can certainly be subsided for dreams, as it is truly better to have dreamed and lost than to never have dreamed at all. We are better for it, and as the OP first questioned about stories of failure, no it is not a failure it didn't happen, failure is never having a dream or trying. Ya never know though, we spent much time one recent morning while at a marina in Annapolis talking with a couple on their boat, much like ours, who were getting ready to leave for points south and eventually a Pacific crossing. They were about our age, so there go many of the excuses! Meanwhile also getting ready to dust off the skis and snowboards!
I think most who get into sailing had similar dreams and plans at various points. Though through experience and aging issues those plans sometimes change. I know they have for me. Long passages to far destinations no longer interest me. Though in my younger years I was go go go and learned it was not all fun. Sometimes it was boring drifting along waiting for the wind, current etc... Sometimes frustrating when things broke.

I spent most of this season just sailing a few miles to a nearby port on Friday and rented a mooring for the weekend. I enjoyed watching the mooring field fill up with the weekend sailors. Then watch them depart on Sunday. I'd head into town for meals or BBQ on board depending how I felt. I would leave on Mondays when most of the powerboat owners were back at work and their wakes were not rocking and rolling my boat as I made my way back to my home port. I enjoyed each trip. Often I was the only boat out in the area. I still did my usual passage planing. Looked at future weather forecasts. Checked the tides and currents to decide on departure times to make for the quickest passage even though it was just a short hop. Just needing a two hour weather window allowed me to do more sailing than trying to reach further destinations which I had already visited anyway in my younger days. The late Warren Zevon's advice was to "Enjoy every sandwich" to which I would add to one should enjoy every sail. Even if it's not across an ocean.
Slayer and SanderO like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in