Sailing failures - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 110 Old 10-13-2019

Re: Sailing failures

On passage our inflatable is deflated, upside down and lashed to the fordeck. It stay put when green water washes over the boat. So Marks scenario isnít in our bag of tricks. Have seen more than one boat lose their dinghy or wreck their davits leaving it hoisted in the davits. That scenario seems a good idea for KKs and Norhavn but not for many sailboats.
Out raft is certified on schedule and stored in the cockpit. The ditchbag is an arms away. Same thoughts different execution.
Thought about those combo raft/dinghy thingies until got to mess with one. Didnít think about it any further. Iíve been tossed out of my dinghy going back in to pickup the laundry. Just hit a wake the wrong way from momentary in attention looking at the phone. My bad but wasnít texting rather looking at the time. Donít like that idea either. Now if alone in the dinghy will put that red loop on my wrist rather than its usual place around the mounting handles.
Think Iíve made every mistake possible but seem to keep learning new ones.

A word to the wise. Especially to the charter folks. Check everything including all lockers before you take off. I trusted a guy Iíve done multiple Bermuda races with and a very good yard that I still really trust and think is the best around. But só-t happens.
mbianka likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 110 Old 10-13-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Because every one of those long sea survival stories say how they saw multiple ships go past them while they were stuck in an immovable life-raft. With a fast dinghy I can motor over and bang on the hull while firing rockets into their bridge.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I want at least one of my lifesaving devices to be a proactive mobile vessel. Our dink rides fully inflated on the foredeck for offshore sailing, with only a gas tank or two and a sharp knife between being on deck and in the drink ready for action, as in pic below.
Inter island the davits work fine, though.
Attached Thumbnails
ss stern to.jpg  
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 110 Old 10-13-2019

Capta that’s an excellent setup. If I had room would do the same. It answers a big theoretical bugaboo of mine. Everyone focuses on sinking and weather. Another concern not often mentioned is fire. Getting off the boat and away from it quickly would seem wise. Would think risk higher in cold water setting with the heat on. But don’t know and don’t know the real risk of this occurrence. Have seen boats needing rescue from fire. People are commonly in the water or sometimes have time to launch a raft. But hard to get a raft to move any distance. You’re dependent upon differential drift.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 10-13-2019 at 11:04 PM.

post #24 of 110 Old 10-13-2019
Master Mariner

A fire ate sea Is a truly terrifying experience.
My first sail to Hawaii as deck hand at about 15, I was on night watch alone a number of days out from San Diego when I saw flames coming out the portholes of the engine room under the cockpit.
With the only access to the engine room through a hatch under the seat of the forward port corner of the cockpit, it meant dropping blindly into a fire and smoke filled room, a rather uninviting thought. But so was this beautiful wooden ketch burning to the waterline and being stranded in the drink hundreds of miles from shore pre-EPIRB or life raft.
Fortunately, I found it to be an electric fire and killing the genset did the trick, but the 15 or 20 seconds it took to muster the courage to drop into that engine room are seconds I'll never forget.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 110 Old 10-14-2019

After weíre safely in and settled we do the following. Weíve taken to put the loop on mooring lines around the cleats anchored to the dock or slip. The lines to the cleat on our decks is secured by a single figure eight so easily and quickly removed without need to leave the boat. Our engine key is left in when on the boat.

Think many fires are due to shore power plugs and in the Caribbean shore power columns. Iíd much rather have to replace my dock lines than my boat. I have no trust that the surrounding boats have a safe set up. I have no trust in the yards on this. Even the fancy dan ones.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #26 of 110 Old 10-15-2019

We could quicken things up if instead of saying "sailing failure" we just went with "sailure"
bigdogandy and RegisteredUser like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #27 of 110 Old 10-16-2019

Fuel shut offs should be a considerable distance from engines and generators. Although we have shut offs near things we have secondary ones under the saloon floor.
However my big bugaboo is the propane solenoid. Ours is on the OPPOSITE side of the boat from the galley over the nav station seat. Had a pro captain tell me thatís stupid as itís inconvenient. I know heís an idiot as having the quick shut off no where near the most likely source of fire on a boat is infinitely wise. We also shut off at the solenoid then the stove. So line sits empty when not in use.
We keep our fire extinguisher under the sink so itís near but accessible without getting too close. We keep a fire blanket there as well as setting off an extinguisher means a mess.
All extinguishers are ABC rated. There are multiple whole boat electrical shut offs in various places. as electrical fires are number two.
We have had grease in a pan go up once but otherwise in 35+ years no fires. Used a fire blanket. Did have a shore power plug melt once as column had an internal fault. Column was scorched and itís internal wiring melted. Yard bought me a new cord. Didnít plug in the rest of our stay.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 110 Old 10-16-2019

You guys are ahead of me in this thinking.

I do have 5 fire extinguishers and one is kept in a deck locker.

We were boarded by the Dutch CG in St Eustis last season. The only gig was out of date extinguishers.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #29 of 110 Old 10-16-2019

When does a failure become a disaster?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #30 of 110 Old 10-16-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
When does a failure become a disaster?

When CNN gets hold of it.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in