Sailing failures - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Re: Sailing failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Bill Bryson wrote a book called a " Walk in the Woods" which was later made into a movie Starring Robert Redford, Nolte and Emma Thompson.

I think Bryson, only got 200 miles along the trail before calling it quits. Failure turned into Success?
That was a great book. Travel essay really. I thought I recalled that he went back and finished all or most by section hiking, although, that's not how the book ends, iirc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (10-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Hm, this is a secondary concern, the primary being that the fire extinguisher works when needed. But: if there is no expiration date visible on the unit. how does the CG determine whether to fine you for it being expired?
I doubt the CG would fine a recreational sailboat for this. You'd probably be required to replace them or determine expiration before setting sail again, or then you'd be fined, if caught again.

As you say, the bigger issue is that they work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #53 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Concerns for fire (for me) are mostly related to electrical and propane. I had one "over heating" experience related to 110v shore power which I avoid ... ie not in a slip running amp hungry devices. I use the 110v battery charger when I am on board in the slip in winter storage and rely on a few solar panels to keep the batts topped up. You want a good circuit breaker / protect system for sure.

Propane is heavier than air and can accumulate in bilges and explode from an electrical spark. Propane locker needs to have an over board "drain" for any escaped gas. My system has a manual shut off in a locker behind the cooker, a solenoid switch on the bulkhead next to this locker as well. Gas is only turned on to cook. Valve is closed in winter storage. Our S-2 solonoid includes gas sensor alarms. I have a sensor below the cooker. Boat is well ventilated!

I have fire extinguishers under the companionway behind the steps next to the galley and one in the aft cabin. Do not have one in the engine compartment (automatic)... but diesel is pretty hard to ignite I believe... not like gasoline or their fumes.

Fires are scary stuff. I saw a stinkpot explode on the hard at the NYAC just before its launch I think... don't know if it was caused by propane or gasoline. Could have turned into a big disaster. Fire department came very quickly.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #54 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I’ve read many books of people who have braved treacherous seas and other obstacles to solo sail around the word. The General lesson these stories have is that with guts, a worthy boat, and determination you can do it. These stories kind of pump you up to take the challenge, whether justified or not. Are there any books or stories of people who have attempted it then part way through the trip just say “**** it....this sucks...I’m going home.”? A book that can give another, and possibly a more realistic, view of the subject. I know that in the recent Golden Globe RTW Race, one participant, a professional sailor, quit early in the race saying “this isn’t for me....I couldn’t get in a groove”, but I haven’t read anything further. And better yet, if someone here had a first hand, or second hand account, it would be great if you shared your experience.

While traveling the Great Lakes I ran into some weekend sailors who mentioned a book called Fat Nerd goes sailing or Overweight Old Computer Guy or something like that. I looked it up on Amazon and came to the conclusion “why the hell would I want to read that.” Anyway, think that’s what you’re looking for.

I think a lot of people quickly give up cruising, they just don’t write about it.
post #55 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionS View Post
While traveling the Great Lakes I ran into some weekend sailors who mentioned a book called Fat Nerd goes sailing or Overweight Old Computer Guy or something like that. I looked it up on Amazon and came to the conclusion “why the hell would I want to read that.” Anyway, think that’s what you’re looking for.

I think a lot of people quickly give up cruising, they just don’t write about it.

I just looked it up, it's 'Breaking Seas.' After reading a few reviews, I came to the same conclusion you did.
post #56 of 110 Old 10-18-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
I just looked it up, it's 'Breaking Seas.' After reading a few reviews, I came to the same conclusion you did.

Thanks for the name....just bought it.
post #57 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

I think the late Robert Pirsig summed it up nicely in his Cruising Blues article:
https://classic.esquire.com/article/...and-their-cure

"But most of us had had just about all the escape we could stand; we're overdosed on vacation. Maybe we aren't quite as free spirits as we believed; each new island to visit had just a bit less than its predecessor."

"And thoughts were turning to home."

Change the point of origin to Sacramento or Cincinnati or any of thousands of places where the hope of sailing the world fills landlocked, job-locked dreamers; add thousands of couples who have saved for years to extend their weekends on the water to a retirement at sea, then sell their boats after six months; change the style and size of the boat, or the ages and backgrounds of the participants, and you have a story that is heard over and over again in cruising areas - romantic dreams of a lifetime destroyed by a psychological affliction that has probably ended the careers of more cruising sailors than all other causes together: cruising depression.

"I don't know what it was we thought we were looking for," one wife said in a St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, harbor after she and her husband had decided to put their boat up for sale and go home. "But whatever it was, we certainly haven't discovered it in sailing. It seemed that it was going to be such a dream life, but now, looking back on it, it just seems . . . oh, there have been beautiful times, of course, but mostly it's just been hard work and misery. More than we would have had if we had stayed home."
MikeOReilly and Arcb like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #58 of 110 Old 10-18-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I think the late Robert Pirsig summed it up nicely in his Cruising Blues article:
[I]...
Yup… The dream is too often based on the images in the glossy mags, or now the ubiquitous “life is grand” Youtube videos. In fact, I wonder if there is an uptick in "cruising depression” as Pirsig called it.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #59 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I doubt the CG would fine a recreational sailboat for this. You'd probably be required to replace them or determine expiration before setting sail again, or then you'd be fined, if caught again.

As you say, the bigger issue is that they work.
See post #28 in this thread: "We were boarded by the Dutch CG in St Eustis last season. The only gig was out of date extinguishers."
post #60 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
[I]...
Yup… The dream is too often based on the images in the glossy mags, or now the ubiquitous “life is grand” Youtube videos. In fact, I wonder if there is an uptick in "cruising depression” as Pirsig called it.
I agree. I think many see the YouTube videos and think it’s going to be all “reliving my varsity days” or something. I deal with this all the time with my weekender and non sailing friends. They can’t understand that it’s a lot of work and a lot of inconvenience. Everyone’s idea of cruising is different. Mine happens to be as remote an anchorage as possible and not the one luxury marina to the next style. Nothing wrong with anyone’s ideas it’s just not mine. I’m ALWAYS having to fix something. The boat basically dictates what I’m buying next and the weather controls when I leave or stay. Everything has to be planned as far as getting supplies and fuel, parts ect. You can’t just get on Amazon and have it in two days at your doorstep. It requires a lot of working with people, helping others as much as you can for free and then hopefully your own luck works out. Then there’s basic preventative maintenance which is always ongoing. I wouldn’t trade this for anything but there is a B Side that isn’t often seen on the bikini videos on YouTube.
SanderO, MikeOReilly and mbianka like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in