Sailing failures - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Case in point- Last week I got caught on the Hudson River during the Nor’ Easter that blew through. Between the strong currents and the high winds, my boat was doing 360’s in place right over the anchor. Eventually the rode caught the centerboard that’s partially hanging down and broke all kinds of parts, not to mention leaving my drifting into the middle of downtown NYC’s portion of the Hudson River amongst massive commercial traffic. So there I was in my underwear at 11pm trying to gain control of an out of control boat. A few days later the top cap of my headsail furler foil comes off, leaving the top of the foil exposed. Of course the halyard snags it and I couldn’t roll the furler in- 20 miles off of New Jersey. Two days later the mishap in the Hudson had apparently tweaked the centerboard packing gland and I suddenly found myself taking on 20 gallons a minute, at night, in commercial traffic mid way up the Delaware River. Then this morning I go to start the engine and suddenly the high temp alarm goes off. Apparently I sucked up a plastic bag in the raw water intake. While trying to figure out what was happening, standing there looking at the diesel, the breather gasket let’s go and oil starts spewing all over.........welcome to cruising. Did I fix everything? Of course. But it hasn’t been scotch and bikinis for the last two weeks. Nice sunsets though. 🤙AA
mbianka and Whalerus like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Re: Sailing failures

Still new at it but have found the following helps.
For several years went back and forth to the Caribbean. I really like passage. Wife doesn’t. I don’t mind seeing family occasionally. Wife wants more contact. So this year for the first time left the boat in Grenada and stayed in our house for the summer. Total boat break. Other than SN no sail related activities.
We take two extended boat breaks during the winter. Xmas and spring. Total of 5 weeks off the boat. Beyond family time do at least one land trip.
So approach it as having two homes. Two divergent lifestyles.

On key things do my own work. Just don’t totally trust yards. But whereas I used to do the bottom, pull varnish, wax and do all the lesser skilled work now write check. Sure price it out and try to keep expenses down but have taken to the “you get one pass” attitude. Rather miss a few meals in restaurants, getting fancy clothes and other stuff like that than be doing grunt work.
Sure I’ll do grunt work when bored and stuck on the boat like when making water but surprisingly just cutting down on mindless maintenance work makes a huge difference in your attitude towards the boat.

Used find a spot anchor snorkel, read and hangout. Now do more land exploring, more involved cooking and non boat stuff. Also still have the smaller more difficult islands to see. And there’s charity work to do.

You need to shake it up. You need to not be unidimensional. Ben Franklin said”boredom is a sign of lack of intelligence “.
wsmurdoch and mbianka like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #63 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
On the topic of dry chem fire extinguishers. They should be turned upside down and shaken or spanked a couple times a year. The chemicals settle in the bottom and pack down over time preventing them from being expelled properly. Sounds goofy, but tis true - I worked for a fire safety service co once upon a time.
Here's an idea: Mount them horizontally on a bulkhead. Every time you tack you'll be agitating the chemicals.
chef2sail and br3nt like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #64 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Way too new to the idea of sailing to know if it's different for boats, but in general. Extinguishers should inspected once a year and depending on the type expire 5-10 years.
post #65 of 110 Old 10-18-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
This is an epic story that will keep you entertained for a few hours.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...-atlantic.html

I met Doug, Interesting guy. He bought another boat even bigger after losing Triumph.

Do you remember the one where a member here signed up as crew for the Transpac, and the owner of the boat owned Chinese restaurants and had his wife and 80 or 90 year old grandmother on board. The aforementioned crew member kind of mutinyed because the owner didn’t have enough water or something. He tried calling a Navy ship to be rescued. I can’t remember all the details but it was a crazy story. At one point the owner’s wife showed up here and started defending her husband. It was a few years back but it was a contentious thread.
davidpm and Minnesail like this.
post #66 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Rockdawg?
post #67 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionS View Post
Case in point- Last week I got caught on the Hudson River during the Nor’ Easter that blew through. Between the strong currents and the high winds, my boat was doing 360’s in place right over the anchor. Eventually the rode caught the centerboard that’s partially hanging down and broke all kinds of parts, not to mention leaving my drifting into the middle of downtown NYC’s portion of the Hudson River amongst massive commercial traffic. So there I was in my underwear at 11pm trying to gain control of an out of control boat. A few days later the top cap of my headsail furler foil comes off, leaving the top of the foil exposed. Of course the halyard snags it and I couldn’t roll the furler in- 20 miles off of New Jersey. Two days later the mishap in the Hudson had apparently tweaked the centerboard packing gland and I suddenly found myself taking on 20 gallons a minute, at night, in commercial traffic mid way up the Delaware River. Then this morning I go to start the engine and suddenly the high temp alarm goes off. Apparently I sucked up a plastic bag in the raw water intake. While trying to figure out what was happening, standing there looking at the diesel, the breather gasket let’s go and oil starts spewing all over.........welcome to cruising. Did I fix everything? Of course. But it hasn’t been scotch and bikinis for the last two weeks. Nice sunsets though. 🤙AA
We have found deploying a kellet and would have prevented a wrap around the keel or centerboard. We use it anytime there are strong reversing currents to anchor in..

Why would you have been in the channel on the Delaware?
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #68 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Here's an idea: Mount them horizontally on a bulkhead. Every time you tack you'll be agitating the chemicals.
That’s good to know

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #69 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Do you remember the one where a member here signed up as crew for the Transpac, and the owner of the boat owned Chinese restaurants and had his wife and 80 or 90 year old grandmother on board. The aforementioned crew member kind of mutinyed because the owner didn’t have enough water or something. He tried calling a Navy ship to be rescued. I can’t remember all the details but it was a crazy story. At one point the owner’s wife showed up here and started defending her husband. It was a few years back but it was a contentious thread.
The member also had a”past”. Very contentious chap

The story went that he led a mutiny and caused issues on that Transpacific Race as he thought he knew better than the captain. There was very little vetting done by both sides before they left. He basically spend the voyage criticizing the captain who had done the trip half a dozen times,
He bragged about taking Chesapeake charter boats out in high winds and practicing MOB
Slayer likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #70 of 110 Old 10-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionS View Post
We have found deploying a kellet and would have prevented a wrap around the keel or centerboard. We use it anytime there are strong reversing currents to anchor in..

Why would you have been in the channel on the Delaware?
I came in late and didn’t pay attention to the normal current of the Hudson when factoring in an outgoing tide. 99.99% of the time, it is me who screws myself....... Thanks for the tip though, it’s a damn good idea.

I was entering the C&D canal- shoals on either side between the nuc plant and the eastern canal entrance...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in