Sailing failures - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 110 Old 10-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionS View Post
Yeah it was all the commercial traffic I had to dodge that kept me from going below long enough to work a solution. I’ll give the kettle a whirl as it sounds like a good idea. Was a weird situation on the Hudson. Just one of those things- wrong place and time. Had to wait out that storm one way or another though. N/NE winds against the Gulf Stream make for a wet and bumpy ride. Won’t be there if I don’t have to be.
I never had a problem in the Hudson but, I have all chain. Though I know several boats where their rope anchor rode got wrapped around their boats keel. That was in calm conditions. Must not have been fun in the weather you experienced. Was on my boat for a Nor'easter a few years ago on a mooring would not do it again voluntarily.
I’m currently moving a boat south; the ground tackle arrangment is (was) less than ideal. Great for where the boat came from (Great Lakes) but not good for full time use. Basically 20’ of 5/16 3b and 150’ of 9/16 three strand.

The mooring I snagged that night wasn’t much better- the current/wind combination caused the boats to lie with the ball slamming against the side of the hull all night. I tried various spring lines on the mooring pennants with no success. The current couldn’t overcome the wind and the wind couldn’t overcome the current so the boats were caught in the battle. Another boat near me almost got holed by its own dinghy due to those conditions. TBH in retrospect I would have been better hove to offshore.

OP: I think there is a distinct difference between cruising for a while and then moving on to other things as opposed to what I think you’re asking; started cruising and for one reason or another quickly decided “nope, not for me”...or quitting outright due to lack of money, overwhelming repairs ect.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

Re: Sailing failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Then donít live in a city. No grass, trees or space to play.

Not much in the suburbs either come to think of it.

Definitely a minority life style.
You should check out Minneapolis! Weíre all trees. The city owns and maintains the boulevard trees to give our streets a nice canopy.

When our park system was developed in the early 1900s the goal was to have a playground within 1/4 mile of every residence, and a rec center within a 1/2 mile. With a few exceptions that is still the case to this day. Rivers, streams, waterfalls. Three sailing lakes. All lakefront property in the city of Minneapolis is public land, as is a lot of the river and stream front property.
MastUndSchotbruch and Arcb like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #83 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
You should check out Minneapolis! Weíre all trees. The city owns and maintains the boulevard trees to give our streets a nice canopy..
It's true! But then there is the 10 months of winter....

post #84 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

And all to owe PEOPLE! Yuck!

Iím sorry but no. No city is the same as a rural setting let alone being on a sailboat in a deserted anchorage.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #85 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
It's true! But then there is the 10 months of winter....
Well sure, there is that.

I like to think that the cold separates the true believers from the posers.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #86 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

One of the important things that keeps my wife and I on board is the absence of having to live in the US northeast during winter. I havenít seen snow nor experienced freezing rain since 2013. You canít believe how nice it is to not chip ice, shovel snow, spread melt or run the snow blower.

When she complains about humidity I just chuckle and say well we can change that if you want. She grins and jumps off the sugar scoop for a dip.

People evolved in a semi tropical environment. Thatís where you want to be according to your biology. The upper Midwest leads to seasonal affectual disorder, drunkenness or too many children.
SanderO, bshock and mbianka like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #87 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
.....The upper Midwest leads to seasonal affectual disorder, drunkenness or too many children.
I'll go only if I can pick the option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #88 of 110 Old 10-21-2019

Quote:
The upper Midwest leads to seasonal affectual disorder, drunkenness or too many children.
I'm about as upper midwest as you can get, and I'm afraid I tend towards two out of three of those things...

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #89 of 110 Old 10-21-2019
Old soul

Quote:
One of the important things that keeps my wife and I on board is the absence of having to live in the US northeast during winter. I havenít seen snow nor experienced freezing rain since 2013. You canít believe how nice it is to not chip ice, shovel snow, spread melt or run the snow blower.
Even though Iím a Canadian, and have remained in Canada the past four winters, Iíve spent most of my time in the Florida of Canada: the Okanagan. I havenít seen real snow or actual cold for four years now.

This winter Iíve signed up to spend our winter north of Calgary, and then in semi-northern Ontario. Weíre definitely going to be shovelling lots of snow and dealing with serious cold.

Should be fun Ö maybe?

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #90 of 110 Old 10-22-2019

Ice is slippery and dangerous. Wifey is scared of falls and wears cleats over her shoes going to and from work. She wants to get out of cold winters when she retires. We had had a plan to live aboard and move back and force from the Caribe.... seems a lot of work.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in