Sailing failures - SailNet Community
 145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Sailing failures

I’ve read many books of people who have braved treacherous seas and other obstacles to solo sail around the word. The General lesson these stories have is that with guts, a worthy boat, and determination you can do it. These stories kind of pump you up to take the challenge, whether justified or not. Are there any books or stories of people who have attempted it then part way through the trip just say “**** it....this sucks...I’m going home.”? A book that can give another, and possibly a more realistic, view of the subject. I know that in the recent Golden Globe RTW Race, one participant, a professional sailor, quit early in the race saying “this isn’t for me....I couldn’t get in a groove”, but I haven’t read anything further. And better yet, if someone here had a first hand, or second hand account, it would be great if you shared your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Sailing failures

I don’t know if it was a “failure” but along your lines....

I had ambitions to make Greenland this past summer, leaving from Newfoundland. Didn’t go aas planned. First night out the engine, running it to charge batteries, started making some bad sounds. So I diverted to St. Anthony. Got things fixed easy enough but lost my wx window. A week later I started again and the second day the engine was overheating and after doing all I felt comfortable with at sea I aborted the trip.

Now it was cold and wet and miserable. Going into St Anthony put me off course and into the ice berg track. I was poking along in the fog, cooped up below due to the cold and wet, staring at the radar for bergs as I had no visibility. I was miserable and although I didn’t put a name to it at the time, terribly depressed.

I turned for home, shortly the weather improved, I got some wind and my mood picked up tremendously.

I suspect that being in similar circumstances again I will feel the same depression. Hopefully I’ll be able to recognize it for what it is, put a name on it, and more successfully manage it.

It would not break my heart to never have a repeat of that feeling. But that may be unablvoidanke.

Who knows?
Slayer, Minnesail and mbianka like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
The Following User Says Thank You to hpeer For This Useful Post:
br3nt (2 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Marinas around the world are filled with boats for sale that aren’t continuing their journey. The Caribbean for sure. I understand New Zealand and Australia are hot spots too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

A guy hung himself in the marina in Johor Baru, Malaysia when I was there.
His engine was in parts spread around the saloon.

No, he didn't write about it.

I suggest one never read the books about cruising. Just go.

It really quite easy. You do need some money and a bit of luck. More luck = less money. And to sail conservatively because breaking kit is not replaceable at sea no matter the luck or money.

In general there is no book in failure... But there's no book in Easy, either. There's only books in drama.
People tell me to write a book but I tell them it wouldn't sell. Who wants to buy a book called: "Marks Circumnavigation, It was Nice, Nothing Bad Happened".

Mark
Slayer, SanderO, arf145 and 7 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Slayer, not sure this is what you are looking for. I can think of 2 that are close, although I think you are working on more failure of the spirit than unavoidable bad outcomes, although in many of the stories here those 2 items are correlated.

Heavy Weather Sailing by Coles
Total Loss by Jack Coote
Slayer likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
Slayer (2 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Biggest failure....that easy....when I joined Sailing Anarchy
BarryL, Slayer, capecodda and 4 others like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

No question that there are a lot of solo sailing attempts that have not gone as planned and the sailor abandoned the attempt. There was Donald Crowhurst in the first Single Handed Around the World Race. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=donald+cr...l_9sa0gdzt2q_e

Another one from that race is Bernard Matessier though he didn't actually quit sailing just dropped out of the race on the final leg in the Atlantic when he was far ahead and would've been the sure winner. He elected instead to continue sailing half again around the world to Tahiti. https://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Bern...0982957&sr=8-1

Last edited by roverhi; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:24 PM.
post #8 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Does this count?

I set off to explore the west coast of Newfoundland in 2018. I motored 15 miles to the first anchorage, dropped the hook with the intention moving on the next day. One day bled into the next. Soon it was week into week, and finally month into month.

After nearly three months we hauled anchor, motored the 15 miles back to the dock, and called it a season. It was the best “failure” of my cruising life .
Slayer, eherlihy, SanderO and 5 others like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #9 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Will confess I had the first boat I ever had built for me! In fact the first new boat I’ve ever had with the intention of going rtw. Had it together. A good strong boat. 30 years of experience including multiple ocean passages. Enough funds. Retired so enough time.
Thing I didn’t have was the wife entirely on board. Her kids health went south. She said “I won’t be more than a days flight away from family “. That meant including the time getting to an international airport. She has two grown kids with arrthymogenic right ventricular dysplasia. Although both have in dwelling defibrillators but they can die at anytime.
She’s my world. A boats just a boat. Easy choice. It wouldn’t mean anything without her along. She’s done passages. The passage is less stressful for her than being away. She’ll go when she thinks things are safe. Otherwise she flys and meets me.
Maybe it’s sour grapes but have come to believe the rtw thing is some egocentric fantasy for many. Some need it for themselves to feel validated. Some just like to sail and almost unintentionally end up doing it. Don’t know which I would have been but think the latter as we always talked “let’s go to the leewards. Then maybe the windwards. Then maybe the ABCs. Then maybe Panama. Then the SP....”
Do I miss it ? Yes. Do I regret not doing it? No.
Slayer, eherlihy and SanderO like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 110 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
A guy hung himself in the marina in Johor Baru, Malaysia when I was there.
His engine was in parts spread around the saloon.

No, he didn't write about it.

I suggest one never read the books about cruising. Just go.

It really quite easy. You do need some money and a bit of luck. More luck = less money. And to sail conservatively because breaking kit is not replaceable at sea no matter the luck or money.

In general there is no book in failure... But there's no book in Easy, either. There's only books in drama.
People tell me to write a book but I tell them it wouldn't sell. Who wants to buy a book called: "Marks Circumnavigation, It was Nice, Nothing Bad Happened".Mark
Even with my slightly more dramatic seafaring adventures, I'm not sure many would be interested enough to read a book of my voyages, though quite a few have suggested it.
However, and perhaps it's because I began my adventures before there was a "get out of a scary situation for free" card (the USCG), there were a few books worth reading as text books for survival at sea in extreme circumstances, IMO.
First and foremost, "Once is Enough" by Smeeton, a book which literally saved our lives because, in similar circumstances, after of reading that book, I knew exactly what to do to stop the sea water ingress without a moment's thought. And moments meant a lot in a hurricane at sea after a capsize!
Though I do not for a instant believe how the authors explained either vessels' sinking, I did find these 2 stories of their survival thereafter of terrific import, again in the days before the free card.
Survive the Savage Sea and 117 Days Adrift. However, both these stories reinforced my resolve not to abandon my vessel until I had done everything within my power to stop her sinking, and then only to step UP into my life raft/boat, and not a second earlier.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in