Annapolis Boat Show - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-14-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Annapolis Boat Show

Wife and I decided to go today while we were anchored out this weekend.

She was looking specifically for a specific kind of Keens and I kind of just tagged along. Beautiful day, mid 70s . Nice Breeze. Absolutely no crowds.

Spent some time at the Annapolis Inflateables/ Fawcettes booth talking to the Tahatsu dealer. I had been part of a survey from Tahatsu on people who had purchased their outboard propane motor. They gave me at the show a new cover made of Shot gun , a new propane fuel line, and a spare Viking propane 11lb canister. ( I already had one I had bought previously. )

Went on a couple boats.
Catalina 42.- surprised at the fake teak and holly, how large the galley intruded into the living space, lack of nav station. The wood inside all looked like veneer. And the emense cockpit which I don’t see as a positive for an offshore Capable boat. On the positive side the safe decks and oversized winches and traveler.

Visited a few catamarans as we will charter soon again and I’m thinking of it being a catamaran for space.

Hulas one of my previous favorites did not hit me this time. The Swan was gourgeous .

My favorite was the Outbound 46. I have always like their build quality. Lots of great interior craftsmanship. Safe smaller cockpit, with one helm. Protected cabin. Inside jib tracks, great sail plan, though I would I am not sold on the Solent jibs as they seem very tight. Fit and finish great with huge storage. .....impressive boat.

Last we visited the tents where I came upon a great last day deal from Landfall. Picked up en emergency ladder for $49 by Platimo. Was selling at the show for $99. Was not planning on buying but, I just told the guy I’d give him $49 for it and he wouldn’t have to lug it home...lol...he agreed much to my surprise

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/p...SABEgKu6vD_BwE

By the way I love the landfall site.
SanderO and capta like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-15-2019

Re: Annapolis Boat Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
.... And the emense cockpit which I donít see as a positive for an offshore Capable boat.
Interesting comment about cockpit size and this needs to discussed... perhaps.

I would argue that boats that are prepared for offshore are really intended to local cruising in relatively protected waters and living aboard. And so I see that there needs to be a comfortable, dry safe cockpit that works for the owner(s) when not working the oceans!

Cockpit size is... too small and not comfortable is something I find a deficit in way too many boats. I think you need room to stretch out and even lie down... and for several people at once! I found that when on board... and either at anchor or simply going somewhere we (I) are in the cockpit, crew is, guests are and often the dog(s) are. Our cockpit which I consider well designed for this purpose is essentially a large rectangular donut which allows one to lie down athwartship behind the helm, at the bridge deck or foew and aft along side the helm. No camel back seat for a helmsmen (awful!). Boat is on auto piliot 99% of the time and when there is a someone steering they can stand, sit or even sit on the coaming and reach the helm. Offshore I keep the raft behind the helm and some can sit on that if they want to steer.

Short "benches" are almost useless and remind me of a seat on a subway or bus. YUCK!

I don't see anything unseaworthy or unsuited or offshore about the Contest 36s cockit, I've always felt safe and protected there as well as comfortable. And the cushions really make it very comfortable as well. You can sleep there as well! Sunbrella cushions have a dark blue and light taupe side... dark for cool weather and light for warm weather.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030105.JPG   P1050106.JPG  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 17 Old 10-15-2019

As long as a cockpit is deep enough to keep people in it, drains fast enough to eliminate flooding, and is designed to be able to safely move in, out, and about underway, there is no safety limit to its size offshore. In fact, larger is better.

Mark
SanderO and Minnesail like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #4 of 17 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
As long as a cockpit is deep enough to keep people in it, drains fast enough to eliminate flooding, and is designed to be able to safely move in, out, and about underway, there is no safety limit to its size offshore. In fact, larger is better.

Mark
Why is larger better?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 17 Old 10-15-2019

I slept on the cockpit floor once, offshore, in big seas. It was too much effort to go below take foulies off, and put them back on when we were doing 1 hour shifts. 2 off 1 on. It was too hot and stuffy below with everything buttoned up. Cockpit drained quickly, I wouldn't have minded a little more leg room ;-) on the floor. Wouldn't want a repeat though, too old for that S#@# now.
SanderO likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Why is larger better?
It's more comfortable!
Attached Thumbnails
cockpit_page1.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 17 Old 10-15-2019

Dave Ė Sharon and I were there yesterday. Too bad we didnít know you were there or bump into each other!

This was the lightest foot traffic Iíve ever seen at the show on a Monday. Maybe the weekend flooding scared people away? I also feel like there were more vendors than ever selling non-sailing related items. Iíd rather they just reduce the number of booths than allow too many kitchenware and patio furniture vendors in.

We went on a lot of boats. Didnít see anything that would make us want to trade in our current boat, but my wife likes to get ideas for her Spinsheet column by seeing whatís new. I am surprised that almost every boat Ė no matter the make Ė had a Delta anchor and about 30 feet of chain as the OEM ground tackle. If I were paying new boat money, Iíd want a lot better. But overall itís kind of sad that showing up to the show even with $300k doesnít get you all that much boat.

This was the first time ever I didnít buy a single thing at the show. It was kind of nice to just take it all in and not come home with the wallet lightened at all.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
It's more comfortable!
What he said! Of course, it has to meet the safety criteria, and larger cockpits = smaller interior space, so it is a tradeoff.

The natural way to get larger cockpits without cutting much into interior, and easily meet safety criteria, is through beam, which is why catamaran cockpits are comparatively large, as are more modern design monohull cockpits.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 17 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Dave Ė Sharon and I were there yesterday. Too bad we didnít know you were there or bump into each other!

This was the lightest foot traffic Iíve ever seen at the show on a Monday. Maybe the weekend flooding scared people away? I also feel like there were more vendors than ever selling non-sailing related items. Iíd rather they just reduce the number of booths than allow too many kitchenware and patio furniture vendors in.

We went on a lot of boats. Didnít see anything that would make us want to trade in our current boat, but my wife likes to get ideas for her Spinsheet column by seeing whatís new. I am surprised that almost every boat Ė no matter the make Ė had a Delta anchor and about 30 feet of chain as the OEM ground tackle. If I were paying new boat money, Iíd want a lot better. But overall itís kind of sad that showing up to the show even with $300k doesnít get you all that much boat.

This was the first time ever I didnít buy a single thing at the show. It was kind of nice to just take it all in and not come home with the wallet lightened at all.
We decided to go at the last minute and just stayed on the boat Sunday after spending Saturday at Cacaway. We got entry for $0. All we paid was the $10 to park at the Navy Stadium. Donna did get a new pair of Keens from Fawcetts for a great price. They matched the internet price which I showed them.

A saw a lot of Deltas too. I was also surprised to see a few mooring open, but it was the last day of the show.

I agree about the $300,000 comment.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #10 of 17 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
What he said! Of course, it has to meet the safety criteria, and larger cockpits = smaller interior space, so it is a tradeoff.

The natural way to get larger cockpits without cutting much into interior, and easily meet safety criteria, is through beam, which is why catamaran cockpits are comparatively large, as are more modern design monohull cockpits.

Mark

I wasnít talking about catamarans so letís not drift into that. Many of the production boats had huge cockpits with tables set between the benches.
Tables to be impaled upon in pitching seas. Tables to reduce the walking space in the cockpit. Tables to get in the way of handing sheets and winches on alternating sides.

The cockpits were not equipped IMHO to be safe in larger seas.

I am comparing letís say the design of the Outbound 46, the Swans, the Hylas and other similar sized boats. Itís not about price here but about design. The production boats design emphasis was on cockpit appears to be comfort at anchor. The others in terms of seaway design.

Looks like if leading jack lines on the production boats would require two different lines through the cockpit area.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in