What Mods/Projects/Designs are you working on this winter? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 10-22-2019

Re: What Mods/Projects/Designs are you working on this winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
--Remove Toecrusher (the original centerline cleat)

Literally laughed out loud.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 10-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Some of these posts are reaffirming my decision to go with a boat with no; coring, wood, blackwater, freshwater, electrical or through hull systems. I don't think I have anything at all to do on my main boat. I guess some varnishing on the little bit of wood there is.
I swear you started this thread just to have the opportunity to say that.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 38 Old 10-23-2019
Always learning...

This is our first winter with Pinniped. We hauled out on Monday. Our new cover from ShipShape is arriving tomorrow, so in the next two weekends, we will make a trip north to get her under cover. Other than that, there are just a couple minor winter projects—winter in Erie, PA can be pretty rough, and we are two hours away, so there’s not much boat work happening on the boat itself! At-home projects include finishing the hatch covers I had started earlier (to see if we liked them before I built all six of them), and making some new pillow cases and pillows for the berths. I’ll also be buying a few things for installation in the spring, including a windex and a new VHF.

Come spring, the must-do major project is the bottom job. Items on the want-to-do list include installing the new VHF and windex, finishing repainting of the deck, cabin trunk, and cockpit; cleaning up and painting a couple of dings in the topsides from the previous owner; replacing the head hoses; rebuilding the head pump; adding some 12VDC outlets for USB chargers and such. I really want to paint the topsides down to the waterline, but I think that would require more time than I have. Many of these things can be done in the water, too, so I’ll probably prioritize the stuff that is easier to do on the hard.

Jonathan

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35

post #24 of 38 Old 10-23-2019

Funny, the more I think about it the more I realize how quickly the list grows!

Soon the boat will come out of the water for a week to have some gelcoat repairs , a new chainplate installed and the rig tuned, all of which is an insurance claim.

While the boat is out of the water I will repair a couple of rust spots on the iron keel, put on a couple of coats of antifouling and install a new Flexofold prop.

Once the boat is back in the water I want to varnish the cockpit table and service the engine.

Depending on how the boat budget holds up I would like to get started on installing an wifi network, upgrade the audio system, install a battery monitor, and plan the addition of solar panels.

I'm sure I can dream up a few more things but the budget is just about exhausted for now!

Fortunately most of what I am doing is basic maintenance and upgrades, not major repairs. That's one advantage of a newer boat.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #25 of 38 Old 10-23-2019

2019-2020 work on hard;

- Bottom ablative paint in the spring, every year
- Top side paint November, last done two years ago
- Deck paint November, last done four years ago
- Cockpit paint November or spring, last done 10 years ago, sanding
and some repair

- New lazarette hatch. This covers the outboard in well. I upgraded
from a 6hp to 8hp Tohatsu which has a slightly larger cowling that
just touches the hatch. This may not need to be done after I correct the prop leg offset. (see next item)

- Change the slope on the mount for outboard in well. Something is
maybe not level, the prop is slightly offset from center and results in a wide arc of travel when the tiller is centered. The prop leg is about 3 deg from vertical if I assume the rudder is vertical when the tiller is centered. I may also lower the outboard mount 1/2" to 3/4".

- Relocate battery lower and centered.
- Relocate electric panel. There is nothing wrong with the current location, it is just in the wrong place for me.

- If I have time in the spring, new cockpit and cabin cushions.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA

Last edited by Ulladh; 10-23-2019 at 03:41 PM.
post #26 of 38 Old 10-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
- Relocate electric panel. There is nothing wrong with the current location, it is just in the wrong place for me.
Mine is in a really stupid place. Right at the foot of the companionway, just exactly where you're likely to hit switches with your foot. Even more than the switches, that's also where the 12v outlets are, and I'm always knocking the USB adapters out. I really need to move my panel.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #27 of 38 Old 10-23-2019

My electric panel which for a 20ft boat is bigger than one would expect is located so that I need to kneel on a settee to see it. It will be relocated so that I can see it sitting on a settee or standing on the sole at the base of the companionway ladder.

For too many times I have missed the light that tells me shore power is connected.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA
post #28 of 38 Old 10-24-2019

It's the end of my first season with the Suncat, so it's mostly just cleaning, winterizing, mouse-proofing (ha!), etc.

Beyond that, I don't plan to internally combust next year, so I'm looking into the various small electric outboards.
Arcb likes this.

Renae
post #29 of 38 Old 10-24-2019
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Mine is in a really stupid place. Right at the foot of the companionway, just exactly where you're likely to hit switches with your foot. Even more than the switches, that's also where the 12v outlets are, and I'm always knocking the USB adapters out. I really need to move my panel.
Mine is in the same place, never thought about moving it but the Battery switch could stay and I have considered a second panel at the Nav station for a couple of years now for added accessories. Maybe one day but not this year.
Minnesail likes this.
post #30 of 38 Old 10-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
It's the end of my first season with the Suncat, so it's mostly just cleaning, winterizing, mouse-proofing (ha!), etc.

Beyond that, I don't plan to internally combust next year, so I'm looking into the various small electric outboards.
I use a Minn Kota 74 lb thrust motor on my 22’ boat and and that has always been enough for me, including driving into heavy wind and a couple times towing other similar sized boats.

But the 74 adds the complication of being 24 volt and requiring two batteries. Since your boat is lighter I’d say a 55 lb thrust would be more than adequate for you.

Unless you want to get fancy and go with a Torqeedo! Those are sweet.

Congrats again on the Suncat. I love those Compacs. They look so fun, and so easy to rig.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in