What Mods/Projects/Designs are you working on this winter? - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

What Mods/Projects/Designs are you working on this winter?

I put my Bay Hen away for the winter today, and naturally, my mind went to what next? I have a few minor projects on the go and I am still kayaking for a couple of months yet.

1) I am adding foot pedal steering to my sailing kayak. I put the rudder together from some parts I had laying around, but when all was said and done, I wasn't happy with the control mechanism, so I bought a set of bolt on foot pedals to control the rudder, hoping to have them installed and testing by next week end.

2) Kettle bells, the off season is terrible for staying in fighting form for racing, so I am starting with 100 kettle bell swings and 15 snatches per arm per day. Should let me hit the ground running in the spring, I hope.

3) my nesting puddle duck racer is without a rig! Think I might build a lug rig and build my own dacron lug sail using my wifes sewing machine.

Any one else have projects this winter?
Minnesail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: What Mods/Projects/Designs are you working on this winter?

1) Making a Sailpack cover. Got tired of wrestling with the old ill-fitting cover this season. Want one that I can drop the sail into and zip up . Storing the boat with the mast and boom up this winter so I can check fit and make adjustments it using my Sailrite sewing machine over the winter.

2) New head hoses and installing new macerator pump in a new location to make it much more accessible.

3) Finish conversion of old diesel tank into fresh water rinse tank and install pump.
Arcb likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

1.) building and installing a new countertop and sink in the head;

2.) making sun covers for the deck hatches - got a new fully manual $100 Chinese hand-crank sewing machine this spring and this will be my first project;

3) replacing all of the fresh water plumbing lines;

4) clean the junk out of the interior lockers, put on a fresh coat of paint on the locker insides.

Edit: oh, and go sailing.....Moon is in Florida!

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

Last edited by bigdogandy; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:20 AM. Reason: Gloating :)
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogandy For This Useful Post:
CLOSECALL (3 Weeks Ago)

post #4 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

great thread!

I have an ongoing list of boat projects. Some are more cosmetic... like a cleaning and painting or the bilge or the engine... sanding and cleaning ext teak and varnishing the gloss trim and fiddles on the interor. Other projects are things like replacing some OEM wiring to lights or pumps... adding a USB port or two for handy charging or replacing one display whose LCD is getting hard to read. I might do a new anchor / chain wash system. And there's always the lightening up and getting stuff off the boat... and organizing and producing an inventory of what's left. Come Spring I will install some new running rigging/sheets and so forth.

Boat winters 35 minutes from our apartment and I make frequent visits to check and do work.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:26 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Our boat is currently stored 2500km away, so I can only dream and plan for next season. Other than some necessary repairs/maintenance, Iím thinking of designing a partial enclosure made of shade screen that can be snapped onto my solar-panel bimini.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #6 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I haven't even hauled out of the water yet to really settle on winter projects.

The only think I'm certain of, at this point, is I'll only get to about half of whatever I decide. I just can't stand working in freezing temps any longer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Projects for this winter include:
  1. Sending my sails in for inspection and minor repairs/restitching.
  2. Replacement of the engine exhaust hose – a bear of a job!
  3. Reconditioning of the teak swim platform deck (teak strips mounted to lids of storage compartments on the sugar scoop stern – I will just bring the entire lids home to work on).
  4. If I’m really ambitious I might replace the waste hose and holding tank for my aft head – but more likely that project will wait another year.

Last edited by 4arch; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:36 PM.
post #8 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago
al brazzi

I pull all my Wooden parts , seats, hatch boards etc. and refinish. I have a plywood part for off season for the companionway. Handrails are SS, Love it!! New tells on both sails, adding some to the draft on the Main and moving a set on the Genny that I can't see for the top spreader. My Boom was FULL of Bees when I bought the Boat, ran them right out no problem but never took all the working parts out of the boom to clean and lube, this ones gonna be fun!
post #9 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I need to do some re-wiring. Now that I've added more lights on the mast my current panel doesn't have enough switches. And it's in a stupid place anyway.

The decision I have to make is whether I should move the batteries when I do it. My boat is a bit ass-heavy and I think moving 150 pounds of batteries from near the stern to right above the keel would balance it a bit better.

But it makes it a much bigger project.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #10 of 38 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Minnesail
Have you experimented with the batteries to determine if moving them will give the desired results?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in