Perkins diesel glow plugs - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By boatpoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
cdy

Perkins diesel glow plugs

My Liberty 28 has a Perkins that runs fine - recently have had a heck of a time starting it - bought the boat in April - PO had jury rigged a glow plug button - with diesels I have had in the past usually you hit a button or turn the key halfway to warm glow plug - with this engine he has a wire that you attach to the house battery - through a fuse to a what I believe is an attachment point on the glow plug - leave it on for 5 minutes and engine starts right up - then disconnect wire - engine will start up without out it once it runs for a few minutes - but there must be a short in the wire now - no spark so no warming the plug I guess - am I understanding this correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Perkins diesel glow plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
- but there must be a short in the wire now - no spark so no warming the plug I guess - am I understanding this correctly?
Rather than a short, I'd say it is a broken connection. There may be a break in the wire, or a corroded connection. You can run a simple continuity test, a current test, or run a jumper wire from the battery to the glow plug (which is basically what he did) and see if it begins working again. If so, it means that there is a break in the wire. You can do what he did, and run a new wire, or, it might be a good opportunity to rewire it back through a push button at the control panel.
post #3 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

No glow plug takes 5 minutes to be ready for ignition. They only need to get hot enough to aid the first combustion cycle, not warm up the whole cylinder. Any chance this is powering a block/cylinder warming pad?
PhilCarlson likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
No glow plug takes 5 minutes to be ready for ignition. They only need to get hot enough to aid the first combustion cycle, not warm up the whole cylinder. Any chance this is powering a block/cylinder warming pad?
What Minne said.
PhilCarlson likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old as Dirt!

The Perkins Diesel utalizes a "flame start" system for cold weather starting assistance. The "glow plug" actually heats a drip of fuel until it ignites, which takes a few minutes. When the fuel ignites, one can actually hear a it--a somewhat "whomp" sound upon which turns the ignition key to the start position and, most often, the engine will spin right up. For more on the subject see "Perkins Cold Start Wiring" on the Cruisers Forum.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:37 AM. Reason: Correct Typo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in