Converting to internal halyards - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 10-23-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Converting to internal halyards

I kind of understand why some people prefer things at the mast. Fewer blocks, less clutter on deck.

But what are the benefits of external halyards? I guess if you lose one it'd easier to re-run than if you lose it up the mast. That's really all I can think of.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 10-23-2019

I answered this for myself at least M. It would require at lot of effort(dropping the mast for starters) to solve a non existent problem.
I can think of a few other non problems that I could tackle as well. There should be a worthwhile payoff unless one just enjoys spending time and money on their boat.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-23-2019 Thread Starter

Oh yeah, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

But most new boats come with internal halyards. There must be a reason they don't do external.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #14 of 22 Old 10-23-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I kind of understand why some people prefer things at the mast. Fewer blocks, less clutter on deck.

But what are the benefits of external halyards? I guess if you lose one it'd easier to re-run than if you lose it up the mast. That's really all I can think of.
Couple moreÖ itís easy to see if you have a developing problem since the whole line is visible and can be inspected. The other issue that sometimes happens with internal lines is that they can get jumbled with other internal stuff like wires or rivet heads or bolts if not properly contained. Internal halyards can also become sources of noise, again if they are not contained properly.

The major negative of all-external is that it doubles the challenge of silencing them all when at anchor/dock. It also means 100% of your line is exposed to the elements all the time.

I donít think itís a big deal either way. I think most new boats come with internals b/c it makes things look cleaner. It certainly wouldnít be an issue for me, either way. My boats have always had externals b/c thatís they way they came to me. But I wouldnít bat an eye if my next boat (IF there is a next boat) came with internals.
Minnesail likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-23-2019

Quote:

I think at some point it just becomes easier to have things at the mast. Think of the forces on a 45 foot boat and having to have the lines run through that many blocks to get them aft, takes a lot of work. You also have more space at the mast to store all the lines.

Still having things run aft makes everything easier, especially single handing. Internal halyards are a classy touch. What's your next upgrade, bow thruster, electric winches.
Minnesail likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-23-2019
al brazzi

I'm set up with everything internal and aft. Selden makes really nice equipment. I like how you staggered the two double exit blocks, nice solution.
Minnesail likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 10-23-2019
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That's interesting. I'd drop sails the other way around, because the main can essentially self tack if I needed it to.
If I use one sail its the Jib, the roller just adds too much flexibility and we can roll it up to a sliver and bring all the way in at the last minute. Plus its more powerful alone than the main is IMO.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
If I use one sail its the Jib, the roller just adds too much flexibility and we can roll it up to a sliver and bring all the way in at the last minute. Plus its more powerful alone than the main is IMO.
If the jib is on a furler, I can see the benefit, even though it still requires more complication if tacking is necessary to approach the slip. I got the sense the OP's was hanked on.

Whatever gets one to the slip is fine by me. Each rig behaves differently, I suppose. I'd expect to get enough of a main down into a stack pack on most tacks, unless it was really blowing stink.

Probably the last boat I sailed onto a dock was a 26ft and that was pushing a decade ago. Time flies. I've never sailed my current boat onto the dock, but I've sailed it into many anchorages (not very crowded ones). Of course, I always end up head to wind in that scenario and our main furls too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-24-2019 Thread Starter

Yeah, my jibs are hank on. The boat is small enough that I don't have to crank a winch to tack or jibe, so it's really not a big deal if I need to flop once or twice while coming in. My usual technique is to backwind the jib before dropping it, that way it all lands on deck instead of in the water.

My main does *not* fall into the stackpack unless it's pretty much completely de-powered. Should it? If thereís any pressure at all the slugs bind in the tracks. Maybe I need to lube the slugs better? Huh. Iíd always assumed thatís the way they all were.

Itís interesting how different people use their boats. Different sizes, different purposes, different boats. I recently chartered a 49í Jeanneau. One of the people on the trip was part of the crew that won this yearís Trans Superior. Pretty much the same size boat, but it couldnít have been more different. They did a lot at the mast because they had a crew of 12 and were doing constant headsail changes. Makes sense for them.

I guess on any boat where raising the main is a major enterprise, going up to the mast to do it isnít that big a deal. Still seems like a pain to me, but if that's what you like go for it. But on my boat where raising the main is a 10 second hand-over-hand affair, going up to the mast to do it is silly. Ditto the jib, since I donít have a roller furler itíd be silly to have to leave the tiller and hop up the mast every time I wanted to raise or lower the jib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Still having things run aft makes everything easier, especially single handing. Internal halyards are a classy touch. What's your next upgrade, bow thruster, electric winches.
Definitely, Iím going to upgrade my 50 watts of solar to 450 watts to power the bow thruster and the ice maker

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #20 of 22 Old 10-24-2019

Quote:

I can't tell from the pictures what is going on here but this looks to me as though a deck mounted spring loaded blocks or under mast plate with blocks should be in this setup to transition from vertical to horizontal.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in