Transition to retirement - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 77 Old 10-24-2019

Re: Transition to retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Sure, but I can do that living on a boat. Some things on my list of "mental exercises":

6. Upgrade my Ham license from General to Advanced.

There is plenty to do.
Well, you missed that bus by quite a few years. No more Advanced (other than grandfathered). Have to go whole-hog Extra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 Old 10-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Sure, but I can do that living on a boat. Some things on my list of "mental exercises":

6. Upgrade my Ham license from General to Advanced.

There is plenty to do.
Well, you missed that bus by quite a few years. No more Advanced (other than grandfathered). Have to go whole-hog Extra [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/SailNet_Toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Oh yeah. I knew that. I just got the names mixed up.
post #23 of 77 Old 10-24-2019

I think I should have just kept working.... I had a business that would have been great had it not been for customers, employees and government red tape. Oh wait... now I remember why I quit.

post #24 of 77 Old 10-25-2019
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
I think I should have just kept working.... I had a business that would have been great had it not been for customers, employees and government red tape. Oh wait... now I remember why I quit.
Yea, if I make it two more I will have 45 years! I definitely picked the best 45, the future will be way too different for me. I don't think anyone will do the same thing (at least for the same company) for that long in the future world. Never wanted to work for a large conglomerate but didn't really understand why until recently.
post #25 of 77 Old 10-25-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
So how do others handle the transition from work to retirement.
like Nike says - Just Do It!
Ulladh likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 77 Old 10-25-2019 Thread Starter

Shoulda, coulda, woulda are feeble excuses for "just do it"

Then there is "but".

I am in the "but" category.

I enjoy part time teaching.

As self employed for at least 30 years I find it very difficult to not return phone calls from past clients and referrals from past clients. Part of the reason that I always had work was returning phone calls.

Last week I had a call from a past client who is now 98 with a referral for his son-in-law. I enjoyed our conversation and eventually referred the son-in-law to one of my former students.

This has now become part of my strategy to back-out of working.
JimMcGee, SanderO and chef2sail like this.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA
post #27 of 77 Old 10-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
So how do others handle the transition from work to retirement. Not picking up the phone, changing the phone number, moving with no forwarding address, learning to say NO?

Semi-retired is not the same as retired. I have promised myself that 2020 will be part time teaching and no new projects, so I will be free to sail long weekends April, May and September, October with longer sails June, July and August.

I am now at the stage where some of my students and those that I mentored early in their career, just as I had mentors early in my career, are mentoring others. That is my ongoing reward.

As some point I expect I will transition from this semi-retired state to fully retired.

Family commitments which I view as a positive, will still limit the duration of multi-week voyages, but maybe I can convince my daughter to let my grandson go for multi-day sails.
While my situation may be from a slightly different perspective due to my age, I think I can offer an opinion. Being retired military I was able to retire young. So most cruisers and travelers I run into are easily 20-25 years senior to me. For them, other than keeping in touch with kids and seeing grandkids, the transition seems pretty straightforward. For me, most of my peers might as well be in a different world. They’re still wrapped up in kids, mortgages and paying off debt. Having said that, I grew up in the “digital age” where I was an early pioneer of doing literally everything online. This has gotten even more so as the years go on. There is literally nothing I can’t do online or on the phone. However, from my experiences, a mail forwarding service is almost a requirement due to license renewals, banks ect. I actually had to close one of my bank accounts because they could not accept that my mail forwarding address was actually my address. (Simple Bank). Bank of America had no issues with this. Like many cruisers I run into, I use St Brendan’s Isle service out of Florida. Highly recommend them.

As far a totally disconnecting, is that what you really want? With social media you can be as alone or as connected as you want to be. My phone literally lives on “do not disturb” and the only time I turn it off is when expecting a call from a parts supplier or someone I’m dealing with for issues that arise. My friends know that if you want to get ahold of me, the only way is to either text me or message me on Instagram. So again, I’m only as “connected” as I want to be. My serene and remote anchorages are never disturbed by a ringing phone. Ever.

I know many cruisers who literally cruise from one luxury marina to the next. They really haven’t left anything behind. Their choice obviously. But I think for many they choose to stay very connected to everything and everyone. Basically what I’m saying is that you yourself choose how far away you want to be from everything you’re talking about leaving behind. You don’t have to choose one or the other. There are times when I spend months alone exploring and anchoring where there are few, if any people. Other times I spend weeks in a port making friends and draining the local breweries.

So back to one of your points, at first it was a little difficult to adjust to “not really having to be anywhere” and the realization that “no, I don’t even have to keep my phone turned on, let alone answer it”. I’m still dealing with some of these things from time to time. I found that I started placing “timelines and schedules” on myself in the absence of them being imposed by others. I’ve had to actively work on reminding myself that I can go and stay anywhere for as long as I like. When I find myself stressing over self imposed schedules, I’ve often just dropped the anchor and spent a few days reading books. After a day or two I do realize that those schedules, self imposed or otherwise, really didn’t matter that much in the first place.
SanderO, mbianka and wymbly1971 like this.

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 77 Old 10-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post

So back to one of your points, at first it was a little difficult to adjust to “not really having to be anywhere” and the realization that “no, I don’t even have to keep my phone turned on, let alone answer it”. I’m still dealing with some of these things from time to time. I found that I started placing “timelines and schedules” on myself in the absence of them being imposed by others. I’ve had to actively work on reminding myself that I can go and stay anywhere for as long as I like. When I find myself stressing over self imposed schedules, I’ve often just dropped the anchor and spent a few days reading books. After a day or two I do realize that those schedules, self imposed or otherwise, really didn’t matter that much in the first place.
I semi retired at 45 and did freelance gigs for 15 years. Stopped working totally five years ago. Now that the sailing season is winding down I'm turning to some land based projects that have been on my mind for quite awhile.

Going through a major tyding up project here at the land base. Starting with some files in file cabinets that have not been opened in ten plus years. Not sure why I thought it important to keep things like telephone bills from the 1990's or the hotel bill from a 1994 trip to Tahiti but, there they were. Shredded such items into confetti sized pieces until the shredder overheated. Went through a four draw file cabinet filled with alphabetized files that I had labeled over the years. When I was done those four draws of files now just fit in 3/4 of one draw. A lot of what I thought was important in years past has now been carted off for recycling and it feels good. There was never any schedule or pressure to get it done . I just do things when I feel like it. Embrace the freedom.
chaz likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #29 of 77 Old 10-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I semi retired at 45 and did freelance gigs for 15 years. Stopped working totally five years ago. Now that the sailing season is winding down I'm turning to some land based projects that have been on my mind for quite awhile.

Going through a major tyding up project here at the land base. Starting with some files in file cabinets that have not been opened in ten plus years. Not sure why I thought it important to keep things like telephone bills from the 1990's or the hotel bill from a 1994 trip to Tahiti but, there they were. Shredded such items into confetti sized pieces until the shredder overheated. Went through a four draw file cabinet filled with alphabetized files that I had labeled over the years. When I was done those four draws of files now just fit in 3/4 of one draw. A lot of what I thought was important in years past has now been carted off for recycling and it feels good. There was never any schedule or pressure to get it done . I just do things when I feel like it. Embrace the freedom.
I almost never look at the paper I filed away... It will go into the incinerator soon.
mbianka likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #30 of 77 Old 10-26-2019 Thread Starter

I started my clean-out of papers and files a few years ago.

Assume house burnt down, what papers would be the most difficult to replace, keep those.

Assume house was flooded, what papers would I try to preserve, keep those.

Everything else goes into boxes to toss, shred or set aside to toss or shred later.

Then I think about a relative who died about 10 years ago without a will. We spent about 6 months going through has papers and cleaning up the mess he left. I don't want to do that to my kids.

Now I can tell former clients that I don't have copies of the documents they are looking for, and then I don't waste sailing time looking for them.
DinghyRace likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in