thinking about a trailor sailor - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 10-29-2019

Re: thinking about a trailor sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
4) probably wouldn't day sail much. more likely to put her in for a few days.
5) swing keel or shoal keel with centerboard, or even centerboard a requirement as some years water can get low. In fact some years would have to drive a few miles to a deeper ramp.
I don't think I would be keen on rigging a Catalina 22 for 3 days. Any more than once or twice a season would be testing my patience. Even if you eliminate items like lazy jacks and roller furling, I think a half hour would be pushing it a bit.

Rigging issues aside, C22 keels don't fully retract into the hull, giving a minumum draft of about 20 inches Add that 20 inches to the trailer height, and its not really what I would think of as a shallow ramp boat. They weigh 2500 pounds, so forget about manhandling it onto the trailer.

Sounds like you might want something fairly shallow. West Wight Potter 19 is half the weight and less than half the draft. The layout isn't bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 10-29-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

S2 6.9 is your best bet.
The S2 7.9 if you have a beast of a tow vehicle.

Love people who talk about trailer sailing like it's easy. Doesn't matter what the size of the trailerable sailboat, it takes a lot of time to setup the boat. I found the Capri 22 (wing keel), the Capri 25 FIN keel, and the S2 7.9 lifting weighted daggerboard to be about 1.5 hours from launch to stick up and sails on.

My Capri 14.2 (yes you heard right a 14 foot boat) on a REALLY good day was 45 minutes.

It has EVERYTHING to do with how you prep the boat for travel. ITS NEVER FAST! It always becomes a huge drag to do.

Want fast and trailerable, buy a laser, zuma, sunfish, or any other unstayed rig trailerable. The suggestion of a cat boat is a good one (one with a folding tabernacle). The compact picnic cat is a good choice sails like a cooler with a sheet for a sail though.

The catamaran suggestion might work.

Truly you cannot appreciate how much work it is to trailer sail until you've done it a couple times. Nothing harder than trailering a sailboat well, except maybe launching it, and rigging it and getting it all done in a timely fashion at the boat ramp (especially a busy lake boat ramp).

Suggest you get a boat slip and trailer seasonally.
RegisteredUser and boley like this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #13 of 34 Old 10-29-2019

Check out the Ventura 2300. The literature makes it sound like a miracle boat. 9.5 knots off the wind and 6.5 knots close hauled all in a 23 foot boat that has 6+ feet of headroom !!! In a hurry? Not a problem, just fire up your 90hp outboard and do 25 knots! Can be pulled by a standard automobile ( I assume that's either an F150 or a 62 oldsmobile with a 454 ). Dry weight is 2350 but I also assume that is just the boat so with trailer around 3k lbs or so. All seriousness aside I really would like to check one of these out. Maybe I would be pleasantly surprised !!!
Arcb likes this.

post #14 of 34 Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
1) Tahoe doesn't have marinas per say at least not on our end. What few slips have been condoized and go for over $50k. Buoys are for rent from home owners and resorts but average $3k or more per season.
Trailering is a chore, but $3,000 is also a chore. If you value your time at $100 / hour you could do 15 launch & retrieves for what a buoy costs….

Quote:
Kind of sounds like a Catalina 22 remains the leading contender.

Hey Minnesail..

We're about same size and pretty fit. Any particular models of C22 we should look at?
thanks
The 1986 - 1995 models are considered the best micro-cruisers. The pop-tops look nice, although I don’t have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I don't think I would be keen on rigging a Catalina 22 for 3 days. Any more than once or twice a season would be testing my patience. Even if you eliminate items like lazy jacks and roller furling, I think a half hour would be pushing it a bit.

Rigging issues aside, C22 keels don't fully retract into the hull, giving a minumum draft of about 20 inches Add that 20 inches to the trailer height, and its not really what I would think of as a shallow ramp boat. They weigh 2500 pounds, so forget about manhandling it onto the trailer.

Sounds like you might want something fairly shallow. West Wight Potter 19 is half the weight and less than half the draft. The layout isn't bad.
I’ll say this about my C22. Every time I trailer it I wish it was three feet shorter, and every time my wife and I stay on it I wish it was three feet longer.

It takes me about an hour if I’m just packing it up for the two miles home. Takes longer if I’m tucking it all in for a highway trip, or putting it away for the winter.

You’re dead on about the keel. When it swings up it leaves about 10” down below the boat. This makes it harder to maneuver because it’s like it has a long full keel, and it’s that much deeper than a flat bottom boat. I have used some fairly shallow fishing boat ramps, but it’s dicey.

The weight isn’t bad in calm water. I’ve gotten good enough now that I can usually launch and retrieve it without getting my feet wet, but if I do have to go in the water it’s not that hard to move around. I did retrieve it once in high winds and then it got sucky. Took three of us to wrangle it on the trailer. But we’re talking 20 knots of crosswind.

EDIT: I realize by manhandling maybe you mean when the boat is not floating, or is only semi-floating. Then yes, you are absolutely correct. You have to float it on the trailer, for sure. I back in far enough that I can float within a foot or two of the front, then winch it the rest of the way.
Arcb likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 10-29-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-29-2019

Have you considered a trimaran ? I think it's what I may do in future.
https://youtu.be/tZVXSCimKdA

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 10-29-2019 at 11:28 PM.
post #16 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

Im lost on this forum... I just got a new to me sailboat. Its a 1973 gulf coast 18 foot sailboat... I need help on setting it up... could someone please direct me to the correct place to get questions answered?
post #17 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post

My Capri 14.2 (yes you heard right a 14 foot boat) on a REALLY good day was 45 minutes.
I agree, 45 minutes would be a respectable time to rig my P16 as well. Cold hands, split rings alone can take 20 minutes. I hate split rings. Throw in a roller furling head sail and I have lost all interest in sailing, time to go for a bike ride.

Generally think Marconi Sloops are not the easiest option for a trailer sailer imo.

My Bay Hen can usually be rigged and in the water in 15 minutes. 20 if you include parking the trailer. It really is that fast. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure it wouldn't meet the OPs comfort requirements.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-30-2019 at 09:37 PM.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

Change to cotter rings.
Very quick
Arcb likes this.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

Try asking right here.

Sailboat Data.com will give you specs for your boat. A Google search will give you images that may help.

Your boat is similar to my 17 ft O day. What did you want to ask?
post #20 of 34 Old 10-30-2019 Thread Starter
dadio917

A few more clarifying points from the OP (that would be me):

We had the O'day 25 for about ~10 years pulling her around (Puget sound, Columbia river, Tahoe, SF bay) so have pretty good experience with a rather heavy (4,000lb) trailer sailor. Shoal keel with centerboard so we needed about 4' of water to unload/unload her. about 3hr. to rig, big heavy mast was hard to step and easy to loose control. So we have pretty good knowledge of the plusses and minuses.

We have a Chevy 1500 4x4 and given where we live will probably always have a decent sized 4X4 pickup so towing not an issue.

1/2hr. to rig from partial derig would be ideal, an hour would be ok. Lot faster than driving to where we'd have to moor a boat, hike to a dingy, and row out (as i said...no slips around here). Besides, rigging derigging a boat on the shore of Tahoe in the summer is not a bad thing to do:-)

Sailing Tahoe on a good day is not for the faint of heart. Wind is one thing but the swells can be pretty fun. Have done it for years. Plus, given a number of years sailing the west coast from Canada to Mexico and Hawaii and back, we kind of know what we're doing. Still, a consideration for a "new" boat.

I'm pretty good doing boat projects so would spend a little time/$ tricking the rigging for ease. Maybe slide on clips instead of rings or cotters or even small pelican hooks. Maybe a prop so mast, boom, and sheets could stay attached to tabernacle for short trip to/from ramp. Hank on jib, one for light air one for heavy.

I suspect we might use a boat about 5 times in a summer. So it's not like we'd be rigging/derigging every weekend. The rest of the time would be in our spare lot where i could do projects, which can be as much fun as sailing.

So thinking about another tailorable, something smaller than a 25 seems like it would be somewhat faster/easier than the O'day 25.

I've seen too many Hunters have problems so can't go that route. MacGregors also not something we'd be interested in.

I appreciate all the ideas. So far from your feedback the list of what to look at is:
Catalina 22, especially pop top.
Ventura 2300
S2 6.9
West Wight Potter 19

Any others? Any small cats with cabins you'd recommend? never had a cat, might be fun.
Minnesail likes this.

Dadio917
Valiant 39

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in