thinking about a trailor sailor - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

Re: thinking about a trailor sailor

As I recall, it would take about an hour to rig or de-rig my C22. I never had a problem on launch ramps as my trailer had an extender on the hitch. Now, I loved my little C22, but if I was starting over, Id buy a Santana or Capri 22 for their performance. Both are fixed keels but Ive seen both on lake Tahoe so at least a couple people can launch them there.
SHNOOL and Minnesail like this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

I think it was me that said cat, but I didn't mean catamaran, I meant a cat boat with a mast tabernacle. I was thinking along the lines of a Com Pac Horizon Cat. They are much easier to rig than than traditional trailer sailers. Its difficult to overstate how much easier they are. You simply lift the mast and insert the pin. Thats all there is to it. Everything is left rigged on the trailer.

Heres a vid of me stepping the mast on my 21 foot mast tabernacle cat boat single handed, under way. Time is about 2 minutes. Which leaves you 13 minutes to take off your ratchet straps and back the boat into the water and you can be rigged and launched in 15 minutes, your wife can go get some ice cream cones while you do it, because there is no need for 2 people

https://youtu.be/T0Jf-kgbrF4
SHNOOL likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-30-2019 at 08:41 PM.
post #23 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

I don't get the 'one person' Arcb. Your son was obviously directing and I think I saw the dog helping a bit also.
Arcb likes this.

post #24 of 34 Old 10-30-2019

I'd put a vote in for a Catalina 22. I've been endlessly impressed with mine. If you have a chance, check out a 1986 or later boat, as the design was changed that year - making the 1986 "new design" better for cruising, IMO. The post 1986 boats have a separate fuel locker, and a dedicated anchor locker. The only real difference, other than raw weight and ease of set-up, compared to the C25, is the C22 has no separate head, or real galley. The cockpit & cabin accommodations are very close to the same dimensions between them. IMO, the cockpit is much better for cooking anyway, and the head really offers no real privacy to begin with. I've been using a 8 ft portabote, and 2.5 hp suzuki with mine, and it can be folded and kept in the cabin if needed. The 2.5 suzuki lays down in the port quarterberth storage area, and only weighs 29 lbs. Being able to avoid marina fees, and trailer the boat to new cruising grounds, is a great aspect. Good luck whatever boat you choose. The wind and sea are the same no matter what boat you are on-
chef2sail likes this.
post #25 of 34 Old 10-30-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Again no good headroom on this one, but the Precision 21 or 23 are good choices, again, hard to rig them quickly.

The boats that have GREAT room, are easy to trailer but aren't known for performance are the Seaward, 25, 26 ones. Again heavy, but they'll rig a bit faster than others I've mentioned, but they are well built boats, and won't be found cheap.

I was very impressed with the Seaward 26RK so much that I considered buying one new. its a helluva lotta boat for the size, and still VERY trailerable. Probably not real fast under sail. Horses for courses, she's damned pretty.

I've moved on to waters that stay liquid all year around, and am sailing a C&C 32. If I could have found one as cheap as this 32, I'd have gone 35. But my tastes/needs have changed since I've moved. Prior to our move, PA levft me pigeoned into trailer sailing and I did lots of it. I literally dry-day-sailed my Capri 22 a severeal times. It was an "all-day" affair to do. I did it one time in mid April, to prove that I could sail before my sail club friends could launch their boats (docks weren't in yet). It was a LONG day (for a lot of reasons, ie: bearing went, keel support fell off trailer, bolt broke on tongue extension, launch ramp was consumed by motor-boaters that didn't understand that I HAD to have a dock to launch, cause I couldn't JUMP from my truck onto my sailboat from the ground...). Anyway, 1:30 launch was quick but I was exhausted by the time mast was up, and I still had to bend on sails, and there was a day of sailing ahead of me. I STILL HAD AN AWESOME TIME (April 15th, and it was 65 degrees out, winds were 15-20 knots, talk about a helluva ride).

But honestly if you consider the Catalina 22, consider the Capri 22 instead (it sails better all the way around). But if you prefer more room, Consider the Precision 23, or Beneteau 235 (as was suggested)...

If you have enough tow vehicle the S2 7.9 is a heavy beast, but sails better than any mentioned, and with practice can be launched and mast stepped by one person. They even made in inboard diesel yanmar that kicked butt. Headroom sucks at 5'8" but the midship head was nice, and the huge V berth is a helluva lot of space for overnighting for such a small boat. It stands up to waves and wind well too, but is faster than a J24.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #26 of 34 Old 10-31-2019 Thread Starter
dadio917

I started looking at trailable multihulls (Coarsair, dragonfly, F22) and they look pretty interesting for our use. I think I'll start a new thread just on those. Never sailed a cat other than a couple times on a hobie when I was young....too long ago to remember.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #27 of 34 Old 11-01-2019

Would also take a serious look at the com-pac yachts. Those with the mastendr system are a snap for one person to rig quickly, sail well and are well made/durable.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 34 Old 11-01-2019

Friend sells multihulls and is Corsair dealer. Have experience with these boats. The 37is a rocket and quite safe even in bluewater but is a lot of boat. Although consairs are generally less money than dragonflies they are still more money than monos for size of interiors. Been on both Corsair and Dragonfly. If it was my money would go with Corsair. More bang for the buck.
Strongly suggest you sail one with the wife/family. They really rip in any kind of breeze. To the point my bride was uncomfortable going that fast.
Really like the 880. Definitely should check one out.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #29 of 34 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
We've done our last ocean passage and selling our Valiant 39. Wonderful boat. We live at Tahoe so are contemplating another lake boat. we had an O'day 25 in the past and this time would like something smaller and lighter. Requirements would be 1) a well designed and built boat 2) comfortable enough for 3-5 days of cruising 3) fast and easy to rig. This last one is important for day sailing. Don't want to rent another bouy at exorbitant process so want a boat that is easy to rig/derig. Boat ramp just down the street.

Catalina 22's seem a bit spartan. Ranger 23s look kind of cool. Am wondering what thoughts you guys might offer on these or other similar vessels?

Thanks!
Truthfully, consider a Catalina 25 swing keel.
Easy to come by, VERY easy to step, weighs 4100# empty,
Catalina Direct .com has everything you could possibly need, decent accommodations(near standing headroom) for the size, 6.5 kts hull speed and capsize ratio below 2.0.

It's the perfect boat IMHO for trailer/cruiser/coastal sailing.
I see people on YTube taking them to the Caribbean from Miami.
I use mine on the Chesapeake Bay and love the fact that I can get way up inside a creek for protection yet sail in rough conditions without getting bounced out of the cockpit!
I see them on Craigslist for around 5-6k's WITH a trailer.
Minnesail likes this.
post #30 of 34 Old 11-17-2019
Captain Obvious

Trailer sailor. There is no real solution. After 7 years, I am really done with the Cat 22. Years where we had decent wind it did alright. This year wind was very light and it sucked. faster boats with bigger rigs would sail circles around us. Yes I could go buy a 130 Genoa but its a slow boat. Stepping the mast and rigging is a huge chore, and I do it 4 times a year.My keel needs to be taken off and redone, faired,,,which is a hassle. Interior is really just good for storing sails and beer. In a pinch it will do it all, and has - but there are better boats. There has to be.
Minnesail and Arcb like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in