A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Re: A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers.

I haven't had any problems getting parts for my 3GM30F in the 10 years I've owned it. Bought parts both online (Yes you can do that) and from local dealers. I have a .pdf parts list I found online for free but for most common things don't need it. The two online sites I deal with will give you parts for my engine by just clicking on the engine model number. Thus sounds like a local dealer issue but Yanmar is partly to blame. The restrictions on dealers only being able to sell to a restricted regional area creates more problems than it helps the dealers. And it sounds like Yanmar is not supporting their dealers with good parts search tools.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips everyone and at least confirming for me NO it is not normal to have to know your part number when walking in. I have an amazing yanmar parts guy at Niemiec Marine who has rush ordered me parts before and helped me find all kinds of oddball ones in the past. The snag I run into is like now where I'm stuck at anchor with a blown raw water pump and nowhere to ship to. Luckily a boater came by when he saw the flag and port of call to chat and I was able to dinghy over his way and ask if he minded a box arriving at his place. Good people out there!

PS I do have towboat US but prefer only to tow as a last resort. Not a fan of all that can go wrong towing until it's the only option.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Have taken to using a reliable dealer near family as the shipping address. Have parts either picked up or shipped to them. Then have them ship to wherever I’m at. Gets around variability of dealers responsiveness. Often get things quicker that way than ordering directly.
Have found knowing engine number along with model number also sometimes helpful. Apparently details may change within a particular models run. Seems helpful regardless of brand.
For common parts exploded views helpful. Get service shop manual not just owner’s manual. Find this true for all engines.
Interestingly have the non common rail 75hp turbo yanmar. So far no issues getting parts. Knock on wood. Very common engine. Previously had a Ford Lehmann on a prior boat. Getting parts was a nightmare.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am not quite sure why all the misinformation my Yanmar 3GM 30 has extensive online operation manual and part number manual. In addition I purchased the 131 page catalog

https://j109.org/docs/Yanmar-3GM30-parts-catalog.pdf

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...0-3534835.html

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...0-3534835.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #15 of 30 Old 11-04-2019
Administrator

I really don't understand why these shops are giving you a push back. The parts guy should be willing to help you find the part number. It is helpful if you have the serial number for your engine since that makes their search easier, and its easier if you can precisely describe the part that you are looking for.

I will note that my boats has a Yanmar 3GM 30 and that I have not had anything like your experience. In fact my experience has been just the opposite. I did buy an engine manual for my engine when I bought my boat and it has exploded engine diagrams with all of the then current parts numbers.

When I need a part, I usually come in with a part number, the manufacturer's descriptive name and the serial number for my engine. Invariably. the local shop looks up my engine's serial number (some parts are were changed throughout the production run), checks the accuracy of my parts number, shows me a picture on the monitor and then gets the part out of stock. I know that on at least one occasion I gave them the wrong part number for my raw water pump impeller and gasket so it was good that they checked.

Jeff
chef2sail and capta like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #16 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

If there is a post office within walking/commuting distance, you can always have things mailed to you General Delivery.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Check with the local po 1st about general del.
Some do not offer it.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If there is a post office within walking/commuting distance, you can always have things mailed to you General Delivery.

Mark
Thanks Mark, we have done this for some items and used UPS stores for some too (some receive for you...20$ a package!). It's been tough with Amazon because they dont tell you who they will ship with anymore so it may arrive USPS, FedEx, UPS, or Amazon Logistics (yeah that's a thing now). USPS offices that do gen delivery only receive USPS mail that way from what I understand. Anyways, it's just part of the adventure.

Thanks Jeff, glad to hear they arent all this way. I've always brought in my engine detail and exact part description. Not sure why needing a part # has been a hang up. Bad luck I guess... parts are due Tuesday or Wednesday and hopefully we can clear Norfolk before the weekend.

post #19 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Spare pump...to have in the future.
Youre just getting the bugs worked out now
post #20 of 30 Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Spare pump...to have in the future.
Youre just getting the bugs worked out now
I've got alot of spares but a raw water pump for this engine is around 600usd believe it or not lol. First one made 37 yrs, hopefully the rebuild kit keeps it going another 10 months.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in