A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Re: A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
......hopefully the rebuild kit keeps it going another 10 months.
No jinx intended, but I've had very little luck rebuilding raw water pumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 11-05-2019

Yanmar and Yamaha are THE most protected dealerships out there. If you're in the Caribbean and want parts, you have to go stand in front of someone, or have family do it Stateside, and ship it down. I bought several Yanmar engines for sailboats several years ago (Pearson 10M, Bristol 35, etc.) and did my own install. HOWEVER, with dealer protection, I was expected to pay close to 45% more for the engines by going to the local dealer. No taxes, just markup because you're trapped. When Mastry or Mack Boring somehow shipped one down (can't remember which) from a Stateside dealer, it wound up in the local dealer's warehouse. They wanted their 45% additional profit. And it was completely paid for, including shipping. They wouldn't let me have it "because the owner was off-island and unavailable for the next week or so." I offered to drive my 3/4 ton GMC through the warehouse doors and get it, the manager relented and had the boys load it with a "ha ha you don't have a warranty, then." Well, sonofagun if I didn't get a full warranty from the Stateside dealer after I did the installation and sent him requested photos. Yanmar has a good product. So does Yamaha. But there is some serious gouging going on out there. Hmmm. What was it? Years ago. Filters? Something. Can't remember. Over $100.00 from the "local" dealer and $11.00 off the shelf at the dealer in Florida.
post #23 of 30 Old 11-05-2019

You didn't say exactly where you are, but Zimmerman Marine has locations in both Deltaville and Mathews, VA. I've found them very helpful with my Yanmar needs FWIW. Good luck.
chef2sail likes this.

post #24 of 30 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Quote:
......hopefully the rebuild kit keeps it going another 10 months.
No jinx intended, but I've had very little luck rebuilding raw water pumps.
Must of got lucky. Parts arrived and in 30mins job was done. Inner seal was worn down. Easy fix that I again attribute this to my boat being freshwater only for 37 years. The two months I've had her in the salt had shown more rust and wear than the entire rest of its life!

Lucky it did leak actually as when I took it apart I found my practically brand new impeller was already trashed. Only a few months old!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191106_160159_721_1573076173380.jpg  

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Hey,

Is that blue impeller a globe model? I tried one once and it lasted 6 months. No more Globe for me, I went back to Oberdorfer (for the Oberdorfer pump).

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #26 of 30 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Is that blue impeller a globe model? I tried one once and it lasted 6 months. No more Globe for me, I went back to Oberdorfer (for the Oberdorfer pump).

Barry
No idea. It was new in a plastic box as part of the spares when I bought her. All the others ones I've since stocked are yanmar originals. No more blue for me that's for sure!

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #27 of 30 Old 11-07-2019

Quote:
Must of got lucky. Parts arrived and in 30mins job was done. Inner seal was worn down. Easy fix that I again attribute this to my boat being freshwater only for 37 years. The two months I've had her in the salt had shown more rust and wear than the entire rest of its life!

Lucky it did leak actually as when I took it apart I found my practically brand new impeller was already trashed. Only a few months old!
To clarify, Iíve been able to effectively rebuild water pumps. However, they never lasted. Sounded like youíre trying to get 10 months out of it. Hope your experience is more positive than mine.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 30 Old 11-10-2019
WhatTheKell

Here is a link to parts list, shop manuals etc for Yanmar SB12. Good vids on maintenance too. Old engine, but plenty of them still thunking away. https://www.sailingthanksdad.com/?q=SB12-Docs
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatTheKell For This Useful Post:
Northeric (11-11-2019)
post #29 of 30 Old 11-11-2019

You aren't in Canada anymore Dorothy.

"And furthermore I do not care for the way you are running this ship".
post #30 of 30 Old 11-11-2019

Quote:

Wow! That should not have happened in a few months! I wonder if it was really old stock that had been sitting on the shelf for years and went hard. That or it was just a really cheap knockoff made out of substandard materials.

I have never seen a blue impeller. Mine have always been black.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in