A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers. - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter

A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers.

So I've had a couple breakdowns on our trip south so far. Overall minor considering the miles we've put on though!

I've dealt online with parts for our 2gmf13 with little issue other than shipping to wherever we may be anchored. It's that anchor delivery issue that has sent me to three official yanmar part dealers on the hard. All three have been terrible experiences but all three have been the same issue.

Part numbers.

This is how they all generally went. I walk in. I know the part I need (for example, fresh water pump on my 2gmf13). I express this need to the counter tenant and immediately get asked what the yanmar part number is.

Baffled at what the number is I tell them I don't know the exact number and all I have is the year/make/model of engine and the exact part I need. All three yanmar stores have been taken aback that I don't know the part number for what I want. Two of the three were very rude to me and said statements along the lines of "what do you expect me to do?? Look through the part catalog with you to find it??? Come back/call back when you have the number.".

After my second experience like this I looked online for a 2gmf13 parts catalog and couldn't find one. On yanmars website I couldn't find a parts list either. On the third experience (today) while looking for a shaft seal for my raw water pump I was treated similarly by a very gruff parts guy here in Virginia who gave me the same lines as the previous two. I told him I tried finding a parts catalog and never found one. He told me I have to BUY IT from yanmar. After i stared at him blankly while holding my 3 year old daughter in my arms after walking 2.5miles from the A
anchorage I'm currently stranded in he said "(expletive) fine let's look it up on my system".

So. I've worked on vehicles my entire life and I've never been told by a (for example) Ram dealer, or Napa for that matter, that if I don't know the part number I should BUY a list from Ram and come back when I know the code for the wheel bearing I need...the same code they can see on THEIR parts catalogue at their desk!

Sorry for the rant but it's really been bugging me.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-03-2019
Master Mariner

Re: A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers.

Wow! I guess Yanmar is not the company that built such a great reputation any longer. Sadly, many companies no longer care about customer service. I might suggest sending Yanmar's headquarters the name of each company, each person you dealt with and a concise, but un-exaggerated account of your experiences with each (like Yanmar doesn't care how far you had to walk to be treated so poorly). Perhaps someone there will help you.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 30 Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Wow! I guess Yanmar is not the company that built such a great reputation any longer. Sadly, many companies no longer care about customer service. I might suggest sending Yanmar's headquarters the name of each company, each person you dealt with and a concise, but un-exaggerated account of your experiences with each (like Yanmar doesn't care how far you had to walk to be treated so poorly). Perhaps someone there will help you.

No exaggeration on my accounts but I hear you capta. I plan on writing yanmar. Maybe I've just hit 3 bad dealers in a row but I seriously was trying to understand if it truly is expected you own a parts manual and walk in with yanmar codes for what you need. If I walked in and couldn't explain what part I needed or if they looked up what I asked for and couldn't find it I get it. However with requests for exact parts (minus the yanmar code) from exact engines I would expect they can look on their computer for 30sec to find it for me and take my money.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #4 of 30 Old 11-03-2019

Ask for manager....then go to top..the owner.
You went there to spend money...jeez
Trained and managed poorly = the help you received
Counter guy prob just wants to go home
RichH likes this.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-03-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

So you’ve ran into three dunderheads.
Call Yanmar NA
Stay on the phone till you get someone to listen.
Bad Customer service will kill a good company.

Not that this helps you the Annapolis area has and excellent Yanmar dealer which can get you any part and their customer service is excellent. Maybe you can go through them

Bay Shore Marine Engines

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #6 of 30 Old 11-03-2019

Amazed at this. We seem to have no trouble getting Yanmar parts from the dealers around here without knowing the numbers for our 1982 3gm22.They find it pretty easily, order the part, and when it comes, it fits and does what it’s supposed to.

I have had trouble with my lawnmower repair shop on this issue, because my 40 year-old Simplicity tractor has part numbers that have gone through perhaps three iterations and the company has been sold once or twice. And the shop isn’t a Simplicity dealer. And the parts are no longer made. Don’t think Yanmar’s had that much turmoil. There’s little excuse for the treatment you’re getting. A marine parts dealer can’t be crazy busy this time of year, even in Virginia. Perhaps you should call the shop you normally use and have them send it to you. It would save you having to walk and withstand the abuse.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-03-2019

Yeah that is ridiculous. A parts supplier can not expect the consumer to know part numbers...that is THEIR job.

Having said that, you can't blame Yanmar for that, unless the company you are going to IS Yanmar. Certainly if the supplier you felt with advertises themselves as a Yanmar dealer you should notify yanmar of the poor service, but that shop probably sells parts for all the major manufacturers.

Your beef is with those shops, not Yanmar.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #8 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

The only Yanmar engine I have is in our Mase generator and I've (thankfully) not needed anything other than routine maintenance parts to date. As a very dated recollection, it was hard to find Yanmar engine schematics and parts numbers online. Most other manufacturers publish them for free. For example, I have every single one printed, as well as saved to my hard drive, for my Volvo engine. It really comes in handy. Do any Yanmar online shops publish parts list/schematics now? I've ordered Yanmar parts online, but already knew the numbers. I just took a look on the site they use, but didn't see any. At most I found Common Parts for specific engines, but they were all wear items only.

I wonder if there is a reason it seems harder to do with Yanmar. I wonder if they put different parts or accessories on the same engines and don't have the decoder ring, for which is which. Not saying that's true.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Sorry to hear you’re having such bad luck with the Yanmar reps.....second the idea of registering complaint with Yanmar NA because the way they protect their parts distributor territories in part allows them ignore basic customer service because they have no real competition.

That being said, the Yanmar parts dealer in Merritt Island got me a .pdf copy of the latest version Yanmar parts catalog for my 3gm30 so I can not only do better diagnostics and troubleshooting before I start taking things apart, I can also give him specific parts numbers when I need something.

I think the .pdf cost a few bucks but has been well worth it. I bet there is one available for your engine also.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #10 of 30 Old 11-04-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
... rude to me and said statements along the lines of "what do you expect me to do?? Look through the part catalog with you to find it???...
Yes. That is exactly what I expect you to do...

I learned quickly that Yanmar's solid engine performance does not extend to it's dealer network. And that's the problem, they use a territorial distribution net, which is also why they don't sell online.

A few years back I needed some air filters. Called up the regional distributor to have them shipped. All good until we got to my address. Can't ship to me, [territorial explanation], need to order from this guy. Called the other guy. Shipped me the parts, billing me shipping from the distributor to the dealer, then dealer to me... Absurd, took forever, but I needed them and didn't have time to go pick them up.

Lesson learned: Find the regional distributor. They will be a larger company and more likely to embrace the concept of Customer Service.

I now send Suzie at Mastry and e-mail with my wish list and take half a day to make the trip for parts. Service is great, help with part numbers, etc.. No problem.

In fact, if you find yourself in need again, I'd shoot her a note ([email protected]) and explain your situation. I'd be shocked if she didn't get you pointed in the right direction.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in