How to heave to in IOR boat (small main, large headsail, fin keel) - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter

How to heave to in IOR boat (small main, large headsail, fin keel)

I can heave to in my boat with my usual sail configuration (huge headsail and small main) by tacking from a close haul, leaving the headsail sheet cleated thus backwinding it, trimming the main sheet, and lashing the filler to leeward. My concern is that the boat ends up with its beam facing the wind/waves). Any tips for pointing higher whilst heaving to?

One thing I tried today was easing the back winded headsail such that the clew starts to sneak around the shrouds toward the leeward side and the headsail spills some wind. It did cause the bow to point significantly higher but I notice from my GPS track that instead of not moving or gradually going directly down wind the boat was slowly making way 90 degrees to the wind (like a really slow beam reach)... is the what fore-reaching is? I guess it’s not necessarily a problem...

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-03-2019

Re: How to heave to in IOR boat (small main, large headsail, fin keel)

Tiller might be too far to lee. Try lashing it 2/3rds or so.
SailMaineH27 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-03-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

Do you have roller furling on the jib? If so, it may work better rolled up a bit (it does on mine). In either case, as Arcb points out, trying subtle adjustments to tiller, main and jib should influence how the boat sits.
bigdogandy likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
Do you have roller furling on the jib? If so, it may work better rolled up a bit (it does on mine). In either case, as Arcb points out, trying subtle adjustments to tiller, main and jib should influence how the boat sits.
No roller furling... just hanks for me.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-04-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

I had the same issue you describe with the bow being blown down and needing to spill some wind. Having the wheel hard over wouldn’t help even if the wind was strong enough so like you describe I would have to ease the jib sheet...

Installing roller furling made a huge difference with that.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #6 of 11 Old 11-04-2019
Administrator

First of all, ideally when a boat is hove to it is perpendicular to the wind and that puts the perpendicular to the waves. Having the bow slightly upwind puts more strain on the rudder since most boats but especially fin keel boats tend to 'cradle' (move forward a little then aft a little in a series of arcs) a little when hove to. Putting the bow slightly upwind means that the boat will move aft slight faster than forward risking damage to the rudder. So, with that in mind, it sounds like your boat is heaving to perfectly.

Many IOR boats will heave to, but they do risk damaging the rig and sails if the headsail is left lapping the shrouds in a strong breeze.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #7 of 11 Old 11-04-2019

Do you have a smaller working jib? It sounds like you need to decrease the jib's area relative to that of the main. If you ever really need to heave-to, you probably will already be flying a smaller headsail due to the wind conditions.

Heaving-to is definitely easier to accomplish on a heavy, full-keeled boat but it is possible to do it on a boat with fin keel and spade rudder. Just takes a lot of experimenting with sail trim and rudder angle. And remember when you really need to heave-to, the wind will probably be stronger than what you normally sail in. In those conditions, you may find that you can only get the boat to stall out when the sails are reefed heavily. A smaller headsail would probably be subject to less chafing on the shrouds and would put a lot less strain on the rig than would a genoa. If you are going to heave-to for an extended period of time and your sheet is rubbing on the outside of your windward shrouds, consider using a barber hauler or rigging a temporary sheet that leads inside the shrouds to prevent chafing.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. I guess there is some disagreement between various experts regarding whether the beam ought to be directly facing wind and waves. My boat can heave to, stop on a dime and slowly drift downwind. It’s great actually but I’ve never been out in terrible conditions. My concern is that since my beam faces weather, large waves will swamp the cockpit or even knock the boat down since my sails in this configuration cause the boat to heel quite a bit to begin with.

Many references and books I’ve come across suggest that the bow ought to be more like 45 degrees off the wind.

Do most folks feel safe heaved to 90 degrees off the wind? Maybe creating the slick mitigates the effects of the waves?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
.....Do most folks feel safe heaved to 90 degrees off the wind? Maybe creating the slick mitigates the effects of the waves?
That's generally the idea. More to the point, it's intended to keep them from breaking.

Some seem to be disputing this lately and consider other methods, such as dragging a drogue to be a better practice. Particularly, when heaving to for very heavy weather.

If you're just heaving to in order to take a break, none of this really matters (not even forereaching), only that the boat is stable.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2019

Dock

I have an IOR boat (1980 San Juan 28) and it is fairly simple to backwind the sails. We are perpendicular to the wind as well but that is how I thought it was supposed to be.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in