ABYC now Law in Canada (pretty much) - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 11-07-2019
Old soul

Re: ABYC now Law in Canada (pretty much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Yipes.

Here is what Part 7 of the Small Vessel Regulations have to say

[I]
702*A pleasure craft shall meet

(a)*the construction requirements of this Part; or

(b)*if its date of construction, manufacture or rebuilding or its date of importation is before the day on which these Regulations come into force, the construction requirements in force on that date.[
/I]
Reasonable and sensible. I just hope the surveys and insurance companies know this as well.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 11-07-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
With a few exceptions Transport Canada has offically recognised ABYC Standards giving them the force of law.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...l-vessels.html
So does this mean that the Government of Canada will be putting the ABYC Standards online?

The reality is that even without this law, surveyors have generally called out items which do not comply with the current ABYC Standards when it was seen as endangering life and safety.

When I bought my boat (as is-where is) she had one frozen seacock, a propane tank locker that vented into the engine room, no solenoid or remote cutoff for the propane tanks, a brittle with age, clear plastic water tubing as the vent hose for the diesel fuel tank, and a 110 volt system that included a Square D steel fuse box with screw in glass fuses in the lazarette and no cut off in the cabin and romex wiring. The surveyor rightly called this out on the survey and the insurance company put my boat on 'Port Restriction' until these were corrected and a surveyor signed off on them. I would fully expect a survey to have caught and record all of that on the survey. I also was glad to correct all of that since every bit of those upgrades made complete sense to me.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #13 of 21 Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
So does this mean that the Government of Canada will be putting the ABYC Standards online?

The reality is that even without this law, surveyors have generally called out items which do not comply with the current ABYC Standards when it was seen as endangering life and safety.

When I bought my boat (as is-where is) she had one frozen seacock, a propane tank locker that vented into the engine room, no solenoid or remote cutoff for the propane tanks, a brittle with age, clear plastic water tubing as the vent hose for the diesel fuel tank, and a 110 volt system that included a Square D steel fuse box with screw in glass fuses in the lazarette and no cut off in the cabin and romex wiring. The surveyor rightly called this out on the survey and the insurance company put my boat on 'Port Restriction' until these were corrected and a surveyor signed off on them. I would fully expect a survey to have caught and record all of that on the survey. I also was glad to correct all of that since every bit of those upgrades made complete sense to me.

Jeff
Curiously neither CFR's nor TP1332 even mention propane on pleasure craft.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #14 of 21 Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Reasonable and sensible. I just hope the surveys and insurance companies know this as well.
It matters not to the underwriters. They can demand whatever they want, law or not. They frequently make demands regarding propane but LPG systems are not regulated or even mentioned in US or Canadian law for pleasure craft.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-07-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Curiously neither CFR's nor TP1332 even mention propane on pleasure craft.
I have not looked at the ABYC Standards for a very long time. The Standards used to contain a lot of references to other Standards. I may not remember this correctly but if I remember accurately the ABYC standard for propane systems essentially said that propane systems need to conform to the NFPA Standard for propane systems.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #16 of 21 Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have not looked at the ABYC Standards for a very long time. The Standards used to contain a lot of references to other Standards. I may not remember this correctly but if I remember accurately the ABYC standard for propane systems essentially said that propane systems need to conform to the NFPA Standard for propane systems.

Jeff
A little more to it than that. PM me with an email address and I'll send the standard if interested

post #17 of 21 Old 11-07-2019
Old soul

Quote:
It matters not to the underwriters. They can demand whatever they want, law or not. They frequently make demands regarding propane but LPG systems are not regulated or even mentioned in US or Canadian law for pleasure craft.
You would know far better than me. My sense is that underwriters rely on whatever standard suits their fancy. Iíve had surveyors and underwriters that focus on propane. Iíve had others, faced with the exact same setup on my boat, not even bat an eye. The application of these standards seem almost random to me as a simple consumer of insurance.

My bet is that if some authority states this is the standard, many underwriters will unthinkingly use it as well.

BLOG:
post #18 of 21 Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
You would know far better than me. My sense is that underwriters rely on whatever standard suits their fancy. Iíve had surveyors and underwriters that focus on propane. Iíve had others, faced with the exact same setup on my boat, not even bat an eye. The application of these standards seem almost random to me as a simple consumer of insurance.

My bet is that if some authority states this is the standard, many underwriters will unthinkingly use it as well.
It has been m experience that few insurance brokers actually read the surveys and of those that do most don't understand what they are reading. There are notable excepetions, BoatUS has people that read each survey and will call the surveyor for clarification if need be. Drew Robertson of Skippers Plan also understands what he is reading, few others do. Witness the surveys they accept .... HULL - Good, ENGINES - Two

I once wrote a survey for a charter boat out of Port Credit and wrote in the report " This vessel will explode" ..... within days this fella had a policy and was taking families out fishing ! Several times I have noted in survey reports that anti-fouling needed refreshing and have the insurer demand it be done right away. It is a bizarre crap shoot.

This industry is a shoddy amateur hour from one end to the other.
MikeOReilly and Arcb like this.

post #19 of 21 Old 11-07-2019
Old soul

Quote:
It has been m experience that few insurance brokers actually read the surveys and of those that do most don't understand what they are reading. There are notable excepetions, BoatUS has people that read each survey and will call the surveyor for clarification if need be. Drew Robertson of Skippers Plan also understands what he is reading, few others do. Witness the surveys they accept .... HULL - Good, ENGINES - Two

I once wrote a survey for a charter boat out of Port Credit and wrote in the report " This vessel will explode" ..... within days this fella had a policy and was taking families out fishing ! Several times I have noted in survey reports that anti-fouling needed refreshing and have the insurer demand it be done right away. It is a bizarre crap shoot.

Thanks for confirming all my worst fears

BLOG:
post #20 of 21 Old 11-08-2019
Administrator

Quote:

It is very interesting that you say that. While I have priced a different insurance companies at various times, I have has BoatUS insurance almost continuously since some time in the mid-1970's. I have always been impressed with the knowledge of the adjusters and underwriters and assumed this was typical of all marine insurance companies. If I remember the details correctly, when I bought Synergy, BoatUS agred to bind the boat for 10 days (since I had coverage on my prior boat) but I had to send BoatUS the survey on Synergy within that 10 days of buying the boat. I emailed the survey to BoatUS as soon as I decided to proceed with the purchase. If I remember right the next day I received a call from the underwriter who went through the survey to make sure I knew what BopatUS considered to be port restricted safety items, and items that the Insurer considered as strong recommendations. It was a surprisingly detailed call from someone who clearly understood boats. (The underwriter owned a J-30.)

I am sorry to hear that this is not typical of marine underwriters. I was an experienced sailor at the time, and yet some of the suggestions were good ones that I might not have picked up on. For example, the surveyor noted that some of the PFD's looked worn out and the BoatUS underwriter recommended removing those from the boat so someone does not grab them in an emergency. I am not sure that I would have paid attention to that if it had not been suggested, I might have, but it was a good highlight. After the survey review with the Underwriter, my thinking at the time is that a lot of folks are buying first boats and this kind of review would be extremely helpful to them.

I have never been clear on whether BoatUS made that type of call to everyone or just to people like me, who filed the survey before closing the deal on the boat and who had very serious safety hazards found during the survey. In my case, I knew about the big issues and had planned to address them anyway, but it certainly motivated me to correct these items quickly so I could use my new boat.

I sent you a PM from the message above.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 11-08-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in