Threat to Lake Union sailing - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Threat to Lake Union sailing

For those of you in the Seattle area, we have a new threat to navigation on Lake Union (if you are not in the Seattle area, Lake Union is a unique lake surrounded by the city that offers good sailing and boating, SUPers, and kayakers. It is connected to both the much larger Lake Washington and to saltwater via the Ballard Locks, and is surrounded by marinas housing thousands of recreational boats).

There is a long history of seaplanes using the lake alongside a large number of recreational and commercial boats. To my knowledge, there has been no safety problem and no accidents of any kind despite tens of flights daily and sometimes a landing or takeoff every few minutes.

The major seaplane airline here, Kenmore Air, is now requesting a "no-go" zone covering much of the lake that would severely interfere with use of the lake by boats. By making much of the middle of the lake off-limits, this would make it very difficult to sail upwind (forcing short tacks up very narrow areas along the lakeshore), and would make the Tuesday night race series almost impossible to conduct.

Here's the link to the group opposing the no-go zone: https://www.savelakeunion.com/

As well as a disaster for the Seattle area, this would be a terrible precedent for other waters shared by seaplanes and boats. Just thought you should know.
oldfurr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Re: Threat to Lake Union sailing

Petition signed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
danvon (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

A for-profit company take over public space for itís own benefit? Thatís not the American Way??

If they had to buy the space for a runway it would cost them millions of dollars and put them out of business. Canít have that!

If they had to rent the lake from the city it would impact their cash flow and slow down the payments they need to make to the capital investment sharks who loaned them the money for their new planes. (There ARE sharks in Lake Union after all!!) Canít have that!

If they donít expand service itís also going to impact their cash flow and slow down the payments (see above). Then the investors will make them go bankrupt and put them out of business. Canít have that!

so... they have to have total control of the lake in order to stay in business. Why would anyone object to this ? Everyone in Seattle and Washington State should be signing the petition.
oldfurr likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
danvon (2 Weeks Ago)

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I wish you luck, but with the federal government selling off public lands (our lands, not theirs) at an alarming rate with nary a citizen blinking, I don't see a group of concerned citizens having much of a chance against a wealthy transportation company, these days.
Again though, good luck.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I wish you luck, but with the federal government selling off public lands (our lands, not theirs) at an alarming rate with nary a citizen blinking, I don't see a group of concerned citizens having much of a chance against a wealthy transportation company, these days.
Don'cha just love it when somebody who doesn't even live here and has zero skin in the game tells you that fighting to make this a better country is a waste of time?
chef2sail likes this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Don'cha just love it when somebody who doesn't even live here and has zero skin in the game tells you that fighting to make this a better country is a waste of time?
So it is mandatory for a concerned CITIZEN to be a resident to have an opinion, in your opinion? Then why are you voting on a Seattle matter as a California resident? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
So it is mandatory for a concerned CITIZEN to be a resident to have an opinion, in your opinion? Then why are you voting on a Seattle matter as a California resident? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
You are entitled to your opinion (I never said otherwise), just as I am entitled to mine about yours. Regarding "voting": I didn't vote, I signed a petition, just as you could. I happen to love Seattle and Lake Union. I don't have to be a resident of that particular city to be concerned about what happens there.

But that's not the point. The point is that those of us who still live in this country are tasked with doing the heavy lifting of making it a better place. A responsibility you have abdicated. I, for one, do not appreciate your defeatist attitude, despite your right to have it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
You are entitled to your opinion (I never said otherwise), just as I am entitled to mine about yours. Regarding "voting": I didn't vote, I signed a petition, just as you could. I happen to love Seattle and Lake Union. I don't have to be a resident of that particular city to be concerned about what happens there.

But that's not the point. The point is that those of us who still live in this country are tasked with doing the heavy lifting of making it a better place. A responsibility you have abdicated. I, for one, do not appreciate your defeatist attitude, despite your right to have it.
If you consider spending us$50.00 to insure our absentee ballots arrived on time for the elections and paying our state and federal taxes abdicating our responsibilities, to you, then perhaps you do not understand the word. The only difference between you as a resident and us as nonresidents if that you get services for your taxes that we as nonresidents don not. so, in fact we are supporting services for you and yours. In those terms you should be thanking us, not belittling us.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
If you consider spending us$50.00 to insure our absentee ballots arrived on time for the elections and paying our state and federal taxes abdicating our responsibilities, to you, then perhaps you do not understand the word.
Point taken.
capta likes this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I'm not taking sides here but if you were to ask the pilots if there are any safety issues I think their opinion may not line up with the 'no safety problem' statement. We have a very busy float plane industry in the Nanaimo Harbour. While I don't spend much time sailing in the harbour we must cross it to reach open water. I do not like the planes taking off and landing a hundred meters over my head. As long as things go according to plan there is no problem. But what if's cross my mind all the time. My personal biggy is 'what if one of those propeller blades broke free'.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in