Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection

I'm out of town on business this week, so can't winterize until late Friday when temperatures are forecast to get into the 20s. I probably won't get everything finished in time, so may resort to placing drop lights in key places for the night. My only problem is that old-fashioned incandescent lights are now impossible to find in the US.

Do any of you have experience with alternatives? IR heat lamp bulbs? (Do they get too hot?) Ceramic heaters with bulb sockets, commonly sold for reptile pets? (Do they radiate the heat to another body effectively?) Others? What is safest and most effective? What fits in a drop light? I'm also willing to buy a different fixture to facilitate use of the bulb.

I've done some searching on Amazon (and need to order today to get it in time) but could use some help in sorting through the options.

FYI, heating pads are probably not an option, because the modern ones seem to all automatically shut off after 20-30 minutes.

I'd love to hear from someone who had dealt with this issue in recent years.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection

I’m not a fan of leaving a heater or lights on when not present. Especially a bulb designed to heat which means larger resistance.

Looking at the forecast it’s is going to get cold, yes, but only one night below freezing. It shouldn’t mess up your water systems. This is an early than usual cold system. Normal highs are 60.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 30 Old 11-06-2019
Master Mariner

A heat lamp of many used to keep a new construction warm overnight for the employees set that mega yacht and 2 others beside it ablaze and smoke damage to a couple others, including mine, set construction back several months. For my 2 cents, if you could find a reliable person to do the winterizing , it might be a better option.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 30 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

The boat is at a DIY boat club. There are no reliable contractors in the area. Every time I've inquired about hiring someone, people invariably recommend their "buddy" whom I could tell from the booze on their breath that I wanted nowhere near my boat. There is absolutely nobody in the are that I would trust on my boat while I am out of town.

I'll get everything done that I can Friday night, but a couple drop lights for ~8 hours are a last resort fallback, and commonly used by my two next-door neighbors in past years. Leaving a 60w light turned on in a dry area is a risk that we all take daily in our homes and in every other aspect of our lives. I'll ditch the heat lamp, but I need to find a couple traditional incandescent bulbs.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #5 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Dock

These generate a lot of heat, and when the bulb fails, the whole thing is contained. Maybe one or two of these and a small fan to circulate the air.

https://smile.amazon.com/Woods-L33-C...3057736&sr=8-1
post #6 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm out of town on business this week, so can't winterize .......My only problem is that old-fashioned incandescent lights are now impossible to find in the US.
Really? Home Depot lists 185 different old fashioned incandescent bulbs. As do Lowes. And Ace Hardware. Maybe they
have one of those stores in Pennsylvania?
post #7 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Why not just pick up a couple of small ceramic space heaters? They are perfectly safe to use and produce far better heat than a light bulb. A 60w or 100w bulb won't do much.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
PhilCarlson likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #8 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Next 4 nights are forecast below freezing, but it looks like the upper air dip that is bringing the lower temperatures will swing past and be replaced with warmer air in the second half of November.

There may still be some time to winterize before the persistent cold of January-February builds.

For working on the boat when it is cold I use an oil filled radiator. I have not left it on overnight but no part gets hot enough for ignition.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Yaskin View Post
Really? Home Depot lists 185 different old fashioned incandescent bulbs. As do Lowes. And Ace Hardware. Maybe they
have one of those stores in Pennsylvania?
Have you actually walked into a store and looked? I went to HD and Lowes yesterday. Everything is LED. Posted wattages are “equivalent” values.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #10 of 30 Old 11-06-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Look on the lowest shelf. I was at HD looking for the same thing yesterday. Was amazed how fr the LED has advanced,😃

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in