Any advice on chartering MI northern peninsula? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SV Siren

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
dadio917

Any advice on chartering MI northern peninsula?

Would like to charter there next summer so looking for advice on who to charter from and where? Probably 3 couples.
thanks

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago
1968 Columbia 50

Re: Any advice on chartering MI northern peninsula?

Just doing a quick search came up with one sailboat charter company for the upper peninsula, Based out of Bayfield Wisconsin, but on Lake Superior on the Western end. They are close to the beautiful Apostle Islands, which in my opinion, are some of the most beautiful places on the planet to cruise. If you plan on chartering I would do it later in the summer from them, as the Lake Superior water stays very cold well into early summer, and even then never really warms up much, the best weather is in August/September. Bring clothes for all ranges of temperatures. I am not familiar with this company, but they do seem to have the business to keep them going, if that tells you much.
https://www.superiorcharters.com/

For something a little further south, in Northern lower Michigan, in Traverse City, the Great Lakes Sailing Company is a very popular, and well run charter. The Grand Traverse Bay is big and beautiful, and has several harbors for visiting. If you wish to go further, there are quite a few very nice harbors up and down the Lake Michigan coast, as well as several islands, Beaver Island, and North and South Manitou Islands. The weather will be much warmer, than the first one I mentioned, with this charter co.
https://www.greatlakessailingco.com/

Both of these companies have boats that would fit your bill. I was surprised to see the Superior Charters having a big catamaran(44' I think). Great Lakes Sailing Co, has one 35' Gemini.

Hope this helps, others will have more input as well. Have fun in my Great Lakes State!!
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Any advice on chartering MI northern peninsula?

Iíve chartered from Superior Charters many times. They have around 30 boats. Mostly monohulls, from 31í to 49í. They added a second catamaran this year, so now they have a 38í and a 40í Lagoon. Iíve been on a lot of their boats, if you decide to charter from them send me message and I can comment on individual boats.

Iíve been wanting to charter from from Great Lakes Sailing on Lake Michigan. That looks like thatíd be a fun area to sail in.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in