Big Brother is Watching - SailNet Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Big Brother is Watching

On another thread privacy concerns was raised. Violation of privacy can result in life changing events. Just knowing you are on the boat and not in your house may lead to burglary. Malware and hacking can result in financial loss. Identity theft may require huge work to reestablish credit, and your financial network.
Even cruising in your home country as a sailor you are more exposed to privacy breaches. You are not on your home network with its firewalls, secure WiFi and other impediments to privacy breaches.
What do you do? How do you protect yourself? How do you view these risks?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Big Brother is Watching

We recently switched to Linux. Not only was I sick and tired of the Microsoft trend toward constant connection with them, but the propriety of their system was becoming intolerable. I've never been interested in Apple in any of their forms, computers, phones or tablets.
We use MINT, which is nearly the same format as windows, and the learning curve, for us computer dummies anyway, isn't all that bad. For anyone computer literate it should be a breeze.
From my research, with Linux we don't even need antivirus or malware software, though some advise it anyway. Check it out and see if it might be an option for you.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago

How indeed. NYT article today outlines a court case against a company that sold video security cameras to US armed forces that were not the ďMade in USAĒ that was molded into their frames. They were made in China (not Taiwan) and are known to be hackable. This got found out when someone noticed Chinese characters coming up on their screen. Beijing might find it useful to know if troops at Fort Bragg, or sailors in Newport News are being put on alerts, or being delployed, or simply going through standard routines. Watching video from security cameras at such locations would tell them this quite easily, in much more detail and much more cheaply than could be learned from spy satellites.
chef2sail likes this.

post #4 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Still struggling with how to communicate with home and how to get local phone service.
Due to expense donít use satphone for data if we can avoid it. Do use a local chip on a phone and hotspot off that. Whatís the best way thatís practical to do this?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Still struggling with how to communicate with home and how to get local phone service.
Due to expense donít use satphone for data if we can avoid it. Do use a local chip on a phone and hotspot off that. Whatís the best way thatís practical to do this?
We do this with Digicel and pay around us$40.00 a month for unlimited data. Works well in most places in the EC.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
From my research, with Linux we don't even need antivirus or malware software, though some advise it anyway. Check it out and see if it might be an option for you.
Been in the IT world for over 25 years. That above statement is about as untrue as it can get and dangerous. False sense of security is worse than anything. Linux is based on Free BSD Unix and all, ALL operating systems have vulnerabilities. It is more just paying attention and keeping things up to date then what you are running for an OS. You need antivirus and security software for EVERY OS.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

post #7 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago

Linux might be in the very near future. I have resisted win 10 as I was fine with win7 pro but they are dropping "security upgrades" SCARE and trying to get people to upgrade. As I only use a CAD program, PDF reader (basic editing), photo viewer, word and excel and chrome browser I am hoping I can make a smooth transition.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #8 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Been in the IT world for over 25 years. That above statement is about as untrue as it can get and dangerous. False sense of security is worse than anything. Linux is based on Free BSD Unix and all, ALL operating systems have vulnerabilities. It is more just paying attention and keeping things up to date then what you are running for an OS. You need antivirus and security software for EVERY OS.
OK, good to know. Still, I'm overjoyed to finally be free of Microsoft.
SanderO, mbianka and elliowb like this.

post #9 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

We too use digicell, orange and whatever is the local carrier. Itís not the mechanics nor expense but rather security thatís the concern. Have hotspotted our home phone which has our US carrier on it at $10US/d on occasion as well utilizing the security Iíve set up on that device. I donít use apple pay nor the droid equivalents. My understanding is cellphone is somewhat more secure than any WiFi even if a private network.
So the question remains how to have secure communication while living on a boat be it in foreign or domestic waters.
Have encryption which works when the person/entity on the other end can deal with it but often thatís not practical.

Hell, even my car is hackable with an outside malicious person being able to take over steering, accelerator and brakes. My boat , itís communications, AP remote etc. are as well. We take the batteries out of the remote when itís not in active use. As stated earlier my AIS tells anyone where I am and where Iím going.
Want to meet up with several friends in Antigua. Flying back from there for Xmas . Be fun to see them first. Weíre starting in Grenada. Look at marinetraffic. See one couple is off Martinique with course in general direction of Antigua. Another in North Atlantic coming out of RI 5 days ago but now further along so can expect them to hit Antigua in 5-7 days if they continue as they are going. Another in PR with no movement over last 30d so reasonable to assume they havenít splashed yet. Donít use any of the social platforms so will email each couple. Those will be informed by their AIS data. So itís very helpful. Still, it can be intrusive in the wrong hands.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 74 Old 2 Days Ago

I have dabbled with Linux. I use turbo as my drafting app. Any good Linux substitutes?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in