Winter has arrived - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 125 Old 11-18-2019

Re: Winter has arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Its making about a cup+ per day.
The human body produces around 180ml per day at rest, and of course more than that if working. So that is more than half a cup per person. Then you have to factor in moisture from other sources...cooking, cleaning, showering etc.

A mini dehumidifier cant hurt, but it will be hard pressed to do the job on it's own.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 125 Old 11-18-2019 Thread Starter

Maybe put that mini where men dare not to often go..garage area.
post #103 of 125 Old 11-18-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Maybe put that mini where men dare not to often go..garage area.
The interior volume of the boat must be less than a garage. And the chicky is in France so there's only one set of lungs on board. And I only drink beer and that's meant to be dehydrating...
MikeOReilly likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #104 of 125 Old 11-18-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The interior volume of the boat must be less than a garage. And the chicky is in France so there's only one set of lungs on board. And I only drink beer and that's meant to be dehydrating...
I find drinking beer helps solve most of life's problems ... or maybe it just seems that way .
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #105 of 125 Old 11-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I find drinking beer helps solve most of life's problems ... or maybe it just seems that way .
Except for the problem of having to pee too much. That's why I switched to rum!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MikeOReilly likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #106 of 125 Old 11-19-2019

In past sailed back and forth. This year left boat in Grenada for the summer. Now getting ready to splash on Thursday. Before leaving last spring canvassed every experienced local cruiser I knew about what they do to prevent mildew/mold.
Some run an AC or dehumidifier. Runs into a real expense. Some yards supply them and only allow you using theirs.
Some use rid damp or equivalent. The liquid produced stains and can ruin finishes so be careful. The hanging bags are safer but more expensive.
Some just keep dorades open and run a low power DC fan. Be careful boat isn’t turning into the wind. Venting may not be that good. Rain here can be torrential and overcome dorade drainage.
Some put on what would pass for a winter cover up north and leave dorades open but also crack hatches. Boat stays dry, no UV damage and dust free. Difference in temperature between boat and outside keeps air moving. Of course if cover fails.....big troubles.
Others use a fungicide aerosol before leaving and again when coming back. Problem is you can’t get on the boat for 6 hours or longer after treatment. Stuff is toxic.

We wiped down all the interior with weak vinegar solution and a few drops of Dawn (use brand name dawn). Then rid damp placed about. Then tea tree (kanaberra) in enclosed spaces. Then fungicide. Other than stuff in the lazerrette seemed to work.

Still hard to work. Called one of my daughters. She complained of freezing rain. Couldn’t bring myself to complain about humidity. Doesn’t matter where you are weather conspires to make things difficult.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #107 of 125 Old 11-19-2019

I had no idea that mould and mildew was such a pervasive problem and required such extensive measures to combat it on boats as it seems in this thread.

"Mildew requires certain factors to develop. Without any one of these, it cannot reproduce and grow. The requirements are

a food source (any organic material)

sufficient ambient moisture (a relative humidity of between 62 and 93 percent)

a reasonable warmth (77 °F (25 °C) to 88 °F (31 °C) is optimal, but some growth can occur anywhere between freezing and 95 °F (35 °C))

Slightly acidic conditions are also preferred.[5] At warmer temperatures, air is able to hold a greater volume of water; as air temperatures drop, so does the ability of air to hold moisture, which then tends to condense on cool surfaces. This can work to bring moisture onto surfaces where mildew is then likely to grow (such as an exterior wall). Preventing the growth of mildew requires a balance between moisture and temperature either in such a way that minimal moisture is available in the air and the air temperature is low enough to inhibit growth (at or below 70 °F (21 °C) without causing condensation to occur, or in such a way that warmer air temperatures, without an actual change in the amount of water vapor in that air, is by its nature "drier" (has a lower relative humidity) than cooler air and will tend to inhibit mildew growth in this way[clarification needed]. Warm temperatures coupled with high relative humidity set the stage for mildew growth.

Air conditioners are one effective tool for removing moisture and heat from otherwise humid warm air. The coils of an air conditioner cause moisture in the air to condense on them, eventually losing this excess moisture through a drain and placing it back into the environment. They can also inhibit mildew growth by lowering indoor temperatures. In order for them to be effective, air conditioners must recirculate the existing indoor air and not be exposed to warm, humid outside air. Some energy efficient air conditioners may cool a room so quickly that they do not have an opportunity to also effectively collect and drain significant ambient water vapor.[5]"
donahue62 likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #108 of 125 Old 11-19-2019

Are we promoting growth by using vinegar?
Minnesail likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #109 of 125 Old 11-23-2019

TakeFive,

My Nicro also failed, and not the first one. I took the guts out and fitted a cheap USB fan in the bore. This goes to a small solar panel on deck. I ditched the battery part when it was pointed out to me that our local nights are far more moist than the days. Why would I want to circulate wet air at night? The cheap fan is far better constructed than that poor excuse for a motor in the original. It also moves a lot more air. So far so good. It has even dried racing sails in a day or two that were put away hastily.
post #110 of 125 Old 11-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Our first Nicro lasted 13 years with a couple battery changes, our second has been going strong after 5 years.
Every year I open it up and clean And debris , and oil the spindle with a drop or two. This sits in our head and is perfect for removing moisture after showers,

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in