Winter has arrived - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Re: Winter has arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Rick
Reply to your post, about 30 posts back, this thread grew quickly.

Correction I gave the ingredients for the original Pine Sol with Long Leaf Pine Oil as 1st ingredient. Pine Glo the Dollar Tree knock-off contains no Pine Oil......
That's kind of interesting, because it seems the product you've found effective didn't have the antimicrobial pine oil in it. I'd take a look at the ingredients and determine whether any could be the impact on reducing your mold growth. If it's a chemical agent, I might also want to be sure it is safe on all the surfaces it will touch, such as wiring, hoses and plastic, over time.

Your idea to experiment is good, however, they seem like short periods of time and very different weather circumstances. It doesn't seem like it would prove anything.

Good luck. Can't argue with success, however, you may not specifically realize what is causing the success and it may not be the evaporated cleaner at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That's kind of interesting, because it seems the product you've found effective didn't have the antimicrobial pine oil in it. I'd take a look at the ingredients and determine whether any could be the impact on reducing your mold growth. If it's a chemical agent, I might also want to be sure it is safe on all the surfaces it will touch, such as wiring, hoses and plastic, over time.

Your idea to experiment is good, however, they seem like short periods of time and very different weather circumstances. It doesn't seem like it would prove anything.

Good luck. Can't argue with success, however, you may not specifically realize what is causing the success and it may not be the evaporated cleaner at all.
There have been publications about the antimicrobial characteristics of pine oil. If you can tolerate the smell, it's probably effective. Whether genuine pine oil or a synthetic substitute, the ingredients are selected for their antimicrobial properties, and are sold by janitorial houses for applications where disinfecting are important. So it's not a stretch to suggest that making them airborne with a fan would have antimicrobial benefits, whether it's tea leaf oil, pine oil, or a synthetic substitute. I do think it's a bit of a stretch to worry about airborne pine oil touching surfaces through purely airborne transfer.

This looks like some interesting reading on a janitorial website: https://worldwidejanitor.com/library...s-of-pine-oil/

I'm not crazy about the smell of pine oil, so I'll probably just order a refill of the Kanberra gel which smells much more pleasant to me. Meanwhile, I just found an old tube of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Styling Gel that a hairdresser friend gave me for Christmas a number of years ago. It has the same aroma as the Kanberra gel. I'm going to squirt some of that in a bowl while I wait for the order to come in.

By the way, there are lots of naturally occurring materials out there with antimicrobial properties. Under my dermatologist's direction I started using coal tar shampoo, which has done wonders to eradicate psoriasis in my scalp that had afflicted me for 20+ years. As of about 10 years ago, Ulladh was formulating his own bottom paint with coal tar (IIRC), though I'm not sure he's still using it now. I'm still impressed by Ulladh's practical knowledge of these things - don't dismiss them out of hand.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-14-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #73 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

The hillbilly version of the fancy stuff is kitty litter.

Fill some buckets, put them in various places around the boat, and close the hatches.

Open the boat in the spring, and it's dry air like the desert. No mold.

YMMV, but it's worked for us.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

post #74 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Why risk the mold when a product like Kannaberra Gel is a proven entity. I have used for 12 years with astounding results.

Mold is so insidious and dangerous, why experiment
Chef, how long does it last? There's a 4 oz container over on Amazon for $26 and wondering if it just sits without much air movement over it will it last the winter in a heated environment.
post #75 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

this arrived in email this morning

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...s=p_Blog111419
mbianka likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #76 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Meanwhile, I just found an old tube of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Styling Gel that a hairdresser friend gave me for Christmas a number of years ago. It has the same aroma as the Kanberra gel. I'm going to squirt some of that in a bowl while I wait for the order to come in.
I love it!

Knowing the price of Paul Mitchell stuff, that's gotta be one of the most expensive possible ways to keep mold down.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #77 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I love it!

Knowing the price of Paul Mitchell stuff, that's gotta be one of the most expensive possible ways to keep mold down.
It was free to me, and has sat unused for a couple years, so I might as well use it for something.

BTW, have you seen the price of the Kanberra Gel stuff?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #78 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It was free to me, and has sat unused for a couple years, so I might as well use it for something.

BTW, have you seen the price of the Kanberra Gel stuff?
Definitely use it for something! I just thought it was funny.

And you make a valid point. I just looked at Amazon and Paul Mitchell is $14 for 6 oz of gel, whereas Kanberra gel is $30 for 4 oz. Although I'm sure the Paul Mitchell has a small % or kanberra in it.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #79 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Chef, how long does it last? There's a 4 oz container over on Amazon for $26 and wondering if it just sits without much air movement over it will it last the winter in a heated environment.
https://www.boatersplus.com/kanberra...iABEgKeH_D_BwE

I use a 2 oz in my head, a 2 oz in my v and a 4 oz in the salon. That will be sufficient through the winter. I usually need to refill in the the spring and summer. I buy the squeeze pouch. The prices swing wildly and sometimes thereís even a 50% of so I each a number of sites. Usually if the boys been closed I am greeted with a nice fresh whiff of it when I pull the hatch boards. Itís not a cheap thing to start but not expensive to maintain when you think what you are doing.

ive had mold affect a number of friends on their boats even though it wasnít obvious . Since we started using we have been mold free. There is enough air in the boat so it penetrates areas like under the floor, wet locker etc.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #80 of 125 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I use Kanberra in the shoulder seasons now. I think I may have started the original thread on the product back in the day. In our cold climate, it lasts from Nov to April, but thatís because it freezes over the winter. However, when it freezes, the air by definition canít hold much moisture. When it thaws, it starts working again. Perfect timing.

When the boat is warm, it lasts a couple of months, so Iím not sure youíll get a full warm winter out of it.

I stopped refilling during the season for a couple of reasons. First, I believe the boat must stay closed up for it to work. Once you open hatches and the companionway, it just stands to reason you ventilate it out and we come and go frequently, living aboard at least 4 days per week. Second, for the few days weíre away from the boat, Iíve come up with an alternative. I bought a battery operated waterless essential oil diffuser. I buy a few ounces of pure tea tree oil and set it up each time I depart. I go through a couple AA batteries every couple of weeks, but they do make models you can plug in. I just donít trust the relatively cheap thing to be plugged into 110v unattended for long.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in