110 vs. 135 Headsails - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 11-12-2019

Re: 110 vs. 135 Headsails

Ten years ago I went from a 30 footer with hanked sails to a 33 footer with a 135 on a furler. While I do miss the upwind performance of having the right headsail up, I don't miss having to change headsails when the wind is not what I expected or changes significantly. For most sailors, a headsail on a furler with a foam luff plus the ability to easily reef the main works well. If you race at other than a casual level, then a single headsail on a furler is not going to win you many races.
BarryL likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 11-12-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-12-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Thanks for all of the replies. I think the plan will be to eventually get a 110 if I can get one in good condition and reasonably priced at Bacon Sails. Although I don't race, I do enjoy trying to maximize performance when day sailing.
chef2sail and bristol299bob like this.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace74 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the plan will be to eventually get a 110 if I can get one in good condition and reasonably priced at Bacon Sails. Although I don't race, I do enjoy trying to maximize performance when day sailing.
You might even find that a 110 is a better all around sail in anything but really light conditions. Your boat is similar to my old Santana in that it was designed to have "meat on the rail" and when you are short handed you probably get overpowered quickly.

Tacking a jib is much easier than tacking a Genoa!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
RegisteredUser and tempest like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #14 of 20 Old 11-12-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
You might even find that a 110 is a better all around sail in anything but really light conditions. Your boat is similar to my old Santana in that it was designed to have "meat on the rail" and when you are short handed you probably get overpowered quickly.

Tacking a jib is much easier than tacking a Genoa!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
That't an interesting point ShockT and one I had not thought of. I don't start to feel overpowered with the 135 until we hit 12 knots or so at which time I put one reef in the main. The only reason I didn't reef on Sunday was because we were fairly close to home by the time the wind got up to 15-16 knots. I would say that 15-20 knots is not the "norm" in my sailing area so it's hard for me to envision a 110 being my primary headsail. My boat is fairly light and maybe the 110 would not be under powered in 8-12 knots of wind? If I end up buying it I will definitely experiment in various wind conditions.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-12-2019

I'm not familiar with your boat, but, I agree with ShockT, If you think about reefing the main @ 12 knots, I'm guessing that you may really like the 110 for all but light air conditions. My old Bristol 29 was very happy with the 110 most of the time.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-12-2019
Administrator

The San Juan 28's were pretty typical IOR race boats of their day. (I actually have one at the dock at my house that belongs to a friend) They were designed to be sailed with 150% genoas and to have a pretty large sail inventory, typically a 150, 130 to 135, 110,and a 90 in addition to spinnakers, and spinnaker staysails. As others noted they were also intended to be sailed with a lot of weight on the rail (probably around 800 to 1000 lbs of crew weight on the rail). Because of the hull design, lack of stability, and rig proportions their sails tend to have a pretty narrow wind speed range. And then you are sailing on the Chesapeake Bay with its predominantly light winds punctuated by short chop and changeable conditions.

Minimally you would want an "A.P." 135% genoa for most conditions. A 135% won't sail well in really light winds, but should come alive around 6-8 knots of breeze. As the breeze builds into the low teens, the first thing would be to reef the main and not change the jib since these boats have a tendency to build a lot of weather helm and wipe out when heeled. If the 135% jib had a foam luff, you probably could furl that down to about a 125% and carry that into the mid-teens and maybe slightly above that. After that a 110% would be a lovely sail. The 110% should be cut pretty flat and have as much luff as possible to give it the widest wind range. It should be a decent sail from somewhere in the low teens to the high teens and maybe a little higher.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #17 of 20 Old 11-12-2019

Maybe pair an a-sail with 110 on furler
post #18 of 20 Old 11-12-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Perrsonally we sail the Chesapeake and find our best combo is 135 from heavy spring air, fall air and offshore. 155 for summer lighter airs. We rarely used a 110 as we’ve always gotten a good reefing headsail.

Haleakula is a mast head sloop with centerboard. Reef the main first works best for us at 20 , then both jib and main at 22. Every boat balances differently though

The nice thing about rolling in a 135 to 110 upwind is when you turn to go downwind you can just let it out.
BarryL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #19 of 20 Old 11-12-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The San Juan 28's were pretty typical IOR race boats of their day. (I actually have one at the dock at my house that belongs to a friend) They were designed to be sailed with 150% genoas and to have a pretty large sail inventory, typically a 150, 130 to 135, 110,and a 90 in addition to spinnakers, and spinnaker staysails. As others noted they were also intended to be sailed with a lot of weight on the rail (probably around 800 to 1000 lbs of crew weight on the rail). Because of the hull design, lack of stability, and rig proportions their sails tend to have a pretty narrow wind speed range. And then you are sailing on the Chesapeake Bay with its predominantly light winds punctuated by short chop and changeable conditions.

Minimally you would want an "A.P." 135% genoa for most conditions. A 135% won't sail well in really light winds, but should come alive around 6-8 knots of breeze. As the breeze builds into the low teens, the first thing would be to reef the main and not change the jib since these boats have a tendency to build a lot of weather helm and wipe out when heeled. If the 135% jib had a foam luff, you probably could furl that down to about a 125% and carry that into the mid-teens and maybe slightly above that. After that a 110% would be a lovely sail. The 110% should be cut pretty flat and have as much luff as possible to give it the widest wind range. It should be a decent sail from somewhere in the low teens to the high teens and maybe a little higher.

Jeff
Great analysis Jeff! Generally, in 4-8 knots of wind we use the 160, from 8-12 the 135 is perfect, from 12-16 we put 1 reef in the main and furl the 135 a bit. If the forecast starts at 17+ we don't go out. A 110 would definitely give us more range based on what you said.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-13-2019

My Jeanneau Arcadia is basically the same boat. Altho a newer design. Boat dimensions are inches apart, rating with in 3 or 6 seconds.

I have a 155 I race with, Depending upon wind speed and air temps, I can get to around 20 knots, 80F temps. If in the 40-55 range, maybe 15 with 3-4 folks on the rail. If it is just the spouse and I, I find the 140 is on par, similar wind speeds before reffing as my 155. Anything over 15-20 knots, the 110 is the better option for a head sail. I find this works to around 20-25, then a reef or generally I go two right off the bat.
With that also said, I believe my boat is a bit stiffer than an SJ28 due to a newer hull form design, and mine is designed post fastnet race for IOR version 3 rules.

I would think a 110 or slightly smaller foretriangle footage would be a good option for ove 20 knot wind days.

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in