Best knot for headsail halyard? - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Best knot for headsail halyard?

What is the best knot for headsail/jib halyard? I change headsails frequently (no roller furling). I have read that bowlines can come undone when not under constant tension and that halyard knots are considered permanent (get so tight they need to be cut off).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Best knot for headsail halyard?

I use a buntline hitch. https://www.animatedknots.com/buntline-hitch-knot It is a compact knot allowing full hoist of the sail and is self containing of the bitter end so doesn't shake loose. As tension is taken on the line, the bitter end is trapped in the loop of the knot. Take two loops of the halyard through the sail cringle and then tie the knot. Haven't had a problem getting the knot undone even after a 15 1/2 day TransPac. Changed to the Buntline Hitch as a more secure knot with Dyneema cored halyards because of the slipperiness of the core. Don't know if it's needed, just did it as a precaution.

Previously used a bowline for halyards and never had one shake loose in more than 10,000 miles of ocean voyaging. Leaving plenty of tail seems to stop the knot self untying. Have had bowlines shake loose on sheets when I didn't leave a long enough bitter end tail.

Last edited by roverhi; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Halyard knot works well for...halyards..
olson34 and PhilCarlson like this.

post #4 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If you change headsails often why wouldn't you just use a shackle? It seems much easier and faster than having to untie knots that have been heavily loaded.

The only halyards I have ever had to tie on are spinnaker halyards on small race boats. I always use a bowline. I have never heard of one coming loose.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
ottos likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #5 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hey,

If you change headsails frequently I suggest you splice a shackle to the end of the halyard. A splice is stronger than a knot and faster to attach and detach. You can splice the shackle yourself if you watch enough youtube videos and buy a fid or two.

I just did my first splices a few weeks ago. I'm getting better at it. For me, I am going to splice a shackle onto a sheet that I will use for reaching. It will be led through a snatch block on the toe rail so I can open up the leach when reaching.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Why spend the money on a shackle when you don't need one?? Maybe stock in Harken/Schaeffer. A loose halyard or shackle on a flogging sail can do real damage to you and definitely get you attention when they bang you on the head. Got rid of all my shackles except spinnaker sheets many decades ago and have never regretted it. If knots offend your sensibilities, would go with a Dyneema soft shackle through a spliced loop on the halyard/sheet.
davidpm likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I agree with a shackle on a thimble eyed halyard. After all, the shackle you'll use on your boat is hardly large enough to be a serious danger. I wouldn't be comfortable with the possibility of the halyard chafing through on the head of the sail when aloft. I have also never had a properly tied bowline come undone, but I think it is too bulky a knot for that job and could get jammed aloft.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Soft shackles if price and head banging are a concern. A halyard knot is easy to untie/tie. A bowline costs you 50% strength, but there really isn't an issue with one coming undone in this application.

I've been making some of these recently (but you need a dyneema halyard):

They also work great for sheets that are removed frequently.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If really, really changing often, often...id eye splice to a spin shackle.
Soft shackle to clew and use same sheets

Btw, a bowline at the clew will receive more chafe than bowline at the head
post #10 of 37 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'd use a shackle, if I had to do frequent sail changes. You can splice it on, or just tie a halyard knot to the shackle.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in