Sailing La Vegabond - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 809Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

From Nikki's posts and the smiling Instagram pictures of the crew in their foulies and life vests. It appears as though all is well on board.
Looks like:

Elyana is not in a heap crying "I did not sign up for this!"
Greta and her father are not incapacitated by sea sickness.
Lenny is not sliding around on a vomit coated cabin floor.
Nikki and Riley are not fist fighting over the weather routing plans.

Might make for some pretty boring Vagabond passage videos if this keeps up. But as Mark pointed out there is that storm that could coming up their stern.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

I know its not how it works, but wouldn't it be amazing if the weather just stopped moving around. Imagine what the last 5 days would have been like if this was the weather they had had —even I could sail that
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 1.15.42 PM.png  

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
post #143 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
From Nikki's posts and the smiling Instagram pictures of the crew in their foulies and life vests. It appears as though all is well on board.
Looks like:

Elyana is not in a heap crying "I did not sign up for this!"

Nikki and Riley are not fist fighting over the weather routing plans.

Might make for some pretty boring Vagabond passage videos if this keeps up. But as Mark pointed out there is that storm that could coming up their stern.
Yes, people seem to really underestimate Elayna, just because she's petite and pretty. She is no lightweight. When Riley met her, she was traveling around Europe, and was entertaining and waiting tables in Greece. I'm sure that she has had her share of experience fending off unwanted attention from drunk pushy men.

There was one episode during their time on their Beneteau, on a night passage, when she had to crawl in a locker to hide, when they thought they were being stalked by pirates. That was their plan they had worked out, so hopefully Riley would only get beaten and robbed, and she wouldn't get raped.

People who have not watched their videos, don't realize that she has pulled her share of night watches, sailing the first La Vagabonde through storms. She's one pretty tough cookie. And Elayna received the same training that Riley did, on how to handle and maneuver a twin prop catamaran. She has proved herself capable, doing that into anchorages, moorings and slips.

post #144 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Yes, people seem to really underestimate Elayna, just because she's petite and pretty. She is no lightweight.
When I said I was worried about Elayna, I was talking about her recent Vlog about being more nervous about things since they have the baby on board now. I know she is very capable. I follow their Vlog on youtube and like them both. I wish them a safe passage and hope they enjoy many years doing what they love and making others happy as they follow their travels.

Here is the recent video I was talking about. She talks about it around 9 minutes 40 seconds into the video.

MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Last edited by Paul2000; 11-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #145 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

Drama
Need more of it
Never enuff...

Chafe..duh..
mbianka likes this.
post #146 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2000 View Post

Here is the recent video I was talking about. She talks about it around 9 minutes 40 seconds into the video.

]
Thanks for posting that and especially the time code. I've not time to watch if all.

Yep, what Elayna says is very heartfelt.

They're out the *right now* in that 26 knit breeze but realizing that's just sustained, it's gotta be gusting well over 30... And knowing you have some tropical storm up to 70 knots sustained, gusting more, on a collision course to meet you in 48 hours....
Man, been there, done that when I had to duck south into the Azores High for SEVEN days to avoid a storm. But look at the wx now. There is no escape. The Azores High centre is tiny and way up north.

I better shut up now before my negativity takes over.... But you don't need to get damaged in a storm. Being in a storm can be really quite upsetting. And I know quite a few that have come safely through a blow but have never gone to sea again.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-19-2019 at 08:15 PM.
post #147 of 558 Old 11-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Thanks for posting that and especially the time code. I've not time to watch if all.

Yep, what Elayna says is very heartfelt.

They're out the *right now* in that 26 knit breeze but realizing that's just sustained, it's gotta be gusting well over 30... And knowing you have some tropical storm up to 70 knots sustained, gusting more, on a collision course to meet you in 48 hours....
Man, been there, done that when I had to duck south into the Azores High for SEVEN days to avoid a storm. But look at the wx now. There is no escape. The Azores High centre is tiny and way up north.

I better shut up now before my negativity takes over.... But you don't need to get damaged in a storm. Being in a storm can be really quite upsetting. And I know quite a few that have come safely through a blow but have never gone to sea again.
I keep thinking about how that helm position is totally exposed on Lavgabonde. Lots of things to be concerned about in storm conditions beyond boat integrity too. Just finished reading about the Bounty sinking during hurricane Sandy. Sudden lurches of the ship during the storm injured the Captain and chief engineer on two separate occasions. They were not much help physically after that.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #148 of 558 Old 11-20-2019

Dock

Oh, great.

In a storm. Another storm behind them and a tropical storm heading up from the Caribbean.

Utter insanity

Edited to include:

I just downloaded the Grib file:
At their position now gusting 35 knots. Within a few miles its 37 and 38 knots.
At 090 at 4.5 knots... 108 per day
Thursday dawn 42 knots
Thursday midday wind change 25 knots
Friday 25 knots
Saturday 20 knots
Friday and Saturday they are a little over 100nms from the Tropical Storm as it reaches 80 knots.
Then 25 knots through all Sunday

Plus I add on 5 knots with GFS over 20 knots.... so that makes it: 42 knots building to 47 knots for 24 hours. Then 30 knots for 24 hours, then 25 knots of a day unless they tag that tropical storm then its anything. Then 30 knots through Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20191120-113407_Opera.jpg  
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-20-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #149 of 558 Old 11-20-2019

Hoping they make out okay. Assuming they do, I wonder if they’ll acknowledge the mistake. Success does not confirm decision making. Ends do not justify means.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #150 of 558 Old 11-20-2019

Dock

The route of the Tropical Storm Vs La Vag...

Too close pour moi!

And from the wonderful Levi Cowan at TropicalTidBits.com

So its maximum intensity is when its closest to La vagabond.
chef2sail and mbianka like this.

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in