Sailing La Vegabond - Page 27 - SailNet Community
 855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Pasta with sauce plus parm and peppers, and rice with veggies plus a sauce..are <$1 meals.
Mark wants his treats to keep spirits up.

Its all a personal thing.

I last provisioned..heavily..with 5 different planned meals, and can add to that with shore sourced food. Ill often get on a kick and eat the same meal for several days, then another kick.

My meal planning is probably easier than most as im a 1 real meal plus a snack per day person. Youre attuned to the system you create
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Pasta with sauce plus parm and peppers, and rice with veggies plus a sauce..are <$1 meals.
Mark wants his treats to keep spirits up.

Its all a personal thing.

I last provisioned..heavily..with 5 different planned meals, and can add to that with shore sourced food. Ill often get on a kick and eat the same meal for several days, then another kick.

My meal planning is probably easier than most as im a 1 real meal plus a snack per day person. Youre attuned to the system you create
Some people just eat because they have to survive like you
Others love the tastes of different foods and have enhanced pallettes as well as a bond to food and its inherent commradiere
Most fall somewhere between the two

Just because you are on a passage or cruising does not mean you have to take the minimalist approach of eating like you are in a war on the front and have to eat MREs.

SV Auspicious was very proud of his deliveries where he planned good ( not complicated) meals. Comfort foods , variety , can really break up and make a great passage or cruise.

We are not cruisers, however we have great creative foods made with basic food groups every time we are on the boat. Yes I may have an advantage due to my previous career in culinary, however basic ingredients cooked properly or creatively can be uplifting and add to any situation,

Most boats cruising, traveling have a very positive cooking setup with propane burners over seas and grills. It doesn’t take any longer to make something good so why give in to the drab mundane day after day food.

Generally our leftovers become tomorrow’s lunch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #263 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Fresh fruit and vegetables are to maintain is hard on a passage of more than week. I usually bought cooked and frozen meals.., stews and so on... which were easy to get ready and eat... no knife, fork and plate. Dining is for stable platforms. You can still eat tasty food on passage. Why not?
mbianka likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #264 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Again..all different.
I loaded 10 months of food, but shorted on rum. Only 8 months worth.
Will prob be back in states in a couple of months and will eventually sort thru and inventory whats left.
Overall, plan has gone very well.
My interests and plans change quite often

Do what works for you, as that is what its all about
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #265 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Fresh fruit and vegetables are to maintain is hard on a passage of more than week. I usually bought cooked and frozen meals.., stews and so on... which were easy to get ready and eat... no knife, fork and plate. Dining is for stable platforms. You can still eat tasty food on passage. Why not?
Lol...no one means fine center of the plate dining, with a knife and fork.

But everything doesn’t have to be a MRE every day. Adding dried fruits, sun dried tomatoes, olives , roasted peppers, pesto, can brighten the most mundane of foods.

Sometimes it’s just the ability or want to look at the ingredients you have present a going even a little to the creative side.

Listen, I live in a country of processed fast food where food is not respected vs let’s say the European or Asian cultures. It has created and slowly drawn away the importance that food plays in brining people together. People blame families for not having meals together but very few families cook together. Food can be a great comfort on the lonely passage, a great sharing between fellow cruisers breaking bread together etc.

Nothing like a pan made bread from scratch with dried fruit or savory one. It’s not hard to make, can be made in a rolling sea.

The psychological pickup on a long passage for the crew is a positive force.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #266 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Pasta is a fine food to do at sea... and you do different shapes and sauces...

post #267 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

Like you've said, everyone is different when it comes to food on passage. We've never been food oriented people in the first place, but at sea, my wife and I both lose any desire to eat. We've even had a chief as crew for one passage, but the only difference that made was the uneaten food we were pushing around the plate was pretty, overpriced and gourmet.

Last 22 day ocean crossing we ate Granola and UHT Milk with an Ensure shake for at least 11 of those days at sea. Strength and energy seemed to hold up fine, but we've got enough reserve fat to keep the boiler running for months.
mbianka likes this.
post #268 of 597 Old 11-27-2019

One of the keys before the passage is to survey the crew as to their favorite foods, snacks etc. don’t need a chef to make good nutritious food easily.

I’ve traveled with a number of cruisers from other areas of the world not just the US. Having dinner or traveling with them is entirely different in many cases than my US friends. They seem to enjoy this additional aspect Of their lifestyle.

We see this often in our weekending use of our boat also. Again I’m not talking about 4 star Michelin chef inspired food. Just adding something to it to kick it up and make it memorable.

Like I said many people just eat because they have to. To me that’s such a waste of time.
mbianka likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #269 of 597 Old 11-28-2019

Dave... I don't think anyone one on an ocean crossing sailboat (especially a monohull) expects to eat the same sort of means they would on dirt. Aside from that many people eat simply meals at home and leave the complexity to chefs at restaurants. We've found many tasty pre cooked and prepared foods on groceries these days. Why make pot stickers when you can buy them all prepared for example... or soups? At anchor we could eat the same sort of meals we do at home, but we do need to bring more things because we don't store as much aboard. While you can cook heeled over... it is a challenge.... and some meals are simply harder to pull off on the tilt. And of course eating on the tilt is also a challenge and changes what can be served. So something like Hungarian goulash could be eaten easily on the tilt... preparing it while heeled would be a changed to say the least. One simply needs to plan meals differently and for longer passages use more precooked meals not served on plates, but in bowls. And have plenty of snacks!

post #270 of 597 Old 11-28-2019

Dock

On passage I always eat well prepared food. The oven is always on. I cook from scratch, nothing pde-prepared. A huge amount of steak and other meats.

Being on passage give the time to get creative in the kitchen.

mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in