Sailing La Vegabond - Page 32 - SailNet Community
 809Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #311 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yeah that would kind of like be boat owners reading boating magazines, can you imagine.........
You think so? Hardly similar... except the medium is sail boat.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would agree that not many can make it big, just like in all entertainment genres. Most will have to do something more traditional to make a living, because they just didn't have that one extra ingredient. I would also agree that some trying to live hand to mouth, like a beach bum, is not a responsible endeavor. This channel is the top of the pack and it's fairly easy to estimate they take in several hundred thousand dollars per year in revenue. It may be pushing $500k by now. Plenty to fund a very well to do financial household, even after expenses.
Anyone at the top of their field deserves to get paid. I was curious so did a bit of research on Patreon averages from their site and other travel youtubers.

La Vagabonde has 3500 Patreons with average donation of $5. Typical reduction rates after the first video each month is 100% ($17,500) for the first video, 80% ($14,000) second, 65% ($11,375) third and 50% ($8,750)for the forth video of the month. That is $619,500 a year from Patreons.

They had 6.555 million video views in the past 30 days. The numbers from Youtube are $3-5 per 1000 views. Take the lowest of this at $19,650 a month and that is $235,800 a year.

Right there is $855,300 a year not including donations from Paypal, and sponsors like Audible.

What a business they are running! Pretty cool to see what's possible these days with a laptop, camera, good looks and a good story.

Last edited by Sailorsone; 11-30-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #313 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not following the work ethic concern. Best I can tell, the videography and editing are a full time job. One working out of their house isn't the problem, I assume. Working at something one loves isn't the problem, I assume.

I would agree that not many can make it big, just like in all entertainment genres. Most will have to do something more traditional to make a living, because they just didn't have that one extra ingredient. I would also agree that some trying to live hand to mouth, like a beach bum, is not a responsible endeavor. This channel is the top of the pack and it's fairly easy to estimate they take in several hundred thousand dollars per year in revenue. It may be pushing $500k by now. Plenty to fund a very well to do financial household, even after expenses.

Exactly what are they doing wrong (other than risking this passage)? Should they become school teachers for $60k per year instead? I don't watch this channel anymore, but they are literally providing subscribed entertainment, perhaps a little travel education, to millions. There have been travel essays, PBS travel shows, all sorts of forms of this on different media over the years.
Part of the reason they are successful is because of their work ethic. They know they have to feed the beast namely the You Tube channel. No video, no Internet money. They know how important that is. They are even having weekly videos being posted as they are sailing across the Atlantic. Same for all the successful channels out there. They are working for that weekly Internet paycheck and on a bit of a treadmill. Yes, it's a job but, it is still a pretty nice commute they've got.
Minnewaska likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #314 of 558 Old 11-30-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Yeah that would kind of like be boat owners reading boating magazines, can you imagine.........
Haven't read one of those either in over 20yrs.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #315 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsone View Post
.....Right there is $855,300 a year not including donations from Paypal, and sponsors like Audible.

What a business they are running! Pretty cool to see what's possible these days with a laptop, camera, good looks and a good story.
While not really fair, it makes one wonder how many of their critics have been this successful. I'm absolutely not saying one's achievements should be measured in dollars, but some argued SLV was being fiscally irresponsible, which would imply anything less is even more irresponsible.
PhilCarlson likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #316 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
I will admit to giving up on La Vagabond
I've been enjoying Sailing Project Atticus (on youtube). It's a decent mix of sailing, maintenance, and destination/travel-log. The videos are very high quality, and entertaining.
mbianka likes this.
post #317 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I've been enjoying Sailing Project Atticus (on youtube). It's a decent mix of sailing, maintenance, and destination/travel-log. The videos are very high quality, and entertaining.
Atticus is one of my two favorite "sailing" videos. The other is Sailing Soulianis. I also like White Spot Pirates, but I've stopped following Nike regularly.

My favorite is still Mads doing "Sail Life". DIY boat projects are the bomb.

As for the 500 lb. gorillas of the genre (La Vagabonde and SV Delos), I can't say I love them. I've seen a few episodes of each, but neither of them really do it for me. Nothing against them or their model, I just never got into them. I guess I find Atticus and Soulianis more my speed.

The one thing I really don't get about La Vagabonde at this point: how the heck do they do what they do with a infant/toddler aboard? I was just watching old home videos of my kids at that age, and they were all over the place. Uncontrollable. And not just because they would squirm like thirty pound greased worms to go explore, but also because they were too young to understand why they shouldn't be doing whatever it was they were doing (or trying to do). I bought my first "big" boat when my kids were 6 and 4; and I had to watch them like a hawk when we went out for a sail in protected waters. I just don't understand how Riley and Elyana can blue water sail, edit videos, cook meals, or really just get anything done with a one year old aboard.
post #318 of 558 Old 11-30-2019
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Haven't read one of those either in over 20yrs.

Damn, and your a surveyor!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #319 of 558 Old 11-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Atticus is one of my two favorite "sailing" videos. The other is Sailing Soulianis. I also like White Spot Pirates, but I've stopped following Nike regularly.

My favorite is still Mads doing "Sail Life". DIY boat projects are the bomb.

As for the 500 lb. gorillas of the genre (La Vagabonde and SV Delos), I can't say I love them. I've seen a few episodes of each, but neither of them really do it for me. Nothing against them or their model, I just never got into them. I guess I find Atticus and Soulianis more my speed.

The one thing I really don't get about La Vagabonde at this point: how the heck do they do what they do with a infant/toddler aboard? I was just watching old home videos of my kids at that age, and they were all over the place. Uncontrollable. And not just because they would squirm like thirty pound greased worms to go explore, but also because they were too young to understand why they shouldn't be doing whatever it was they were doing (or trying to do). I bought my first "big" boat when my kids were 6 and 4; and I had to watch them like a hawk when we went out for a sail in protected waters. I just don't understand how Riley and Elyana can blue water sail, edit videos, cook meals, or really just get anything done with a one year old aboard.
I think the kid might be taking a bit of a toll on their lifestyle. Elyna has been a bit more stressed in some recent videos. They've also spent some time on land in friends houses and she seems to really like the conveniences who wouldn't after a couple of years living on board. I've watched all of those Vlogs mentioned here and there. Usually only after my boat is on the hard for the winter. As someone mentioned La Vag has become more of a lifestyle vlog. I agree. Though the Atlantic crossing may give them some new interesting material. I do like Ken Boothbay's How to Sail Oceans vlog. Single fellow on a wooden engineless sailboat but, he is not as prolific as others though. The Vlog harbor is getting crowded these days and most of the videos are becoming similar and boring. Though on a cold winter night I find it enjoyable climb into a cozy bed with the laptop and see some Caribbean Blue waters. At least until I head in that direction in a few weeks myself.

Meanwhile it looks like La Vagabonde seems to smell the barn in Lisbon. Boat is moving along at 11 knots Windy.com says 19 foot seas with 30 knots of wind gusting to 43. I just wonder how many reefs they got in.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #320 of 558 Old 11-30-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Damn, and your a surveyor!
No magazines but around $35k on courses in that time frame

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in