Sailing La Vegabond - Page 35 - SailNet Community
 855Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #341 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Moderator
 
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London!
Posts: 7,160
Thanks: 71
Thanked 321 Times in 292 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Brusk wind. and chilli too....
Attached Thumbnails
c_01_02_12_2019.jpg  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
MarkofSeaLife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #342 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 21,391
Thanks: 84
Thanked 605 Times in 581 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Looks like a missed a melee.

SLV estimating landfall in the next day or so? 10 deg west is getting close.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #343 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast U.S
Posts: 2,487
Thanks: 5
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Maybe the next to last post from on board by Nikki Henderson. Some parts may need to be translated from the British understated language.

Day 20

After a day sailing east, we reaped the rewards at midnight and turned to starboard onto a course (145°) straight for Lisbon.

The previous 12 hours had been painful. As forecast, around lunchtime the wind shifted east of north so we started smashing upwind - gaining headway east. I think I actually gained air in my bunk a number of times during my afternoon nap! Lenny and Elayna relocated to the saloon as they couldn’t sleep down low - it was all a bit chaotic! We reefed down heavily at dusk, and thankfully so. It’s been blowing 30-40 knots all night, and it’s still going!

But at midnight it all became worth it for we gained about 15 degrees wider wind angle (this generally improves comfort, safety and speed) and the boat smoothed out. We can now say “only a day left”!

That’s both sad and exciting. But the sense of achievement will start to seep in - there is nothing quite like arriving somewhere and looking behind you and going “woah 3000 miles that way is America and we worked for every mile!”

Life yesterday - well it’s the 1st December so Svante and Greta kept in the Christmas theme with cinnamon oatmeal (porridge). We listened to a lot of Florence and the Machine whilst Elayna and I reminisced fun times at festivals. We have almost finished all our fresh food - so excellent provisioning Elayna. Actually some credit due - we all said we have honestly not wanted for anything - it’s been amazing (apart from when the tea ran out...!)

It can be hard as you approach a destination after so long at sea. Things are probably a little tense onboard. Just the anticipation of getting there really. The knowledge that we nearly can have a little space and privacy makes the boat feel a little smaller. The reality of ‘real life’ stuff like emails and bills and so on looms on the horizon. Land life starts to integrate with sea life. For Riley and I it means we have to be extra vigilant not to make mistakes or get too caught up in getting there. Just keep doing what we have done - safely, calmly - not let emotions drive any decisions - and we will arrive when we arrive. But yes - we are excited - very!!
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 12-02-2019 at 08:14 AM.
mbianka is online now  
 
post #344 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Moderator
 
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London!
Posts: 7,160
Thanks: 71
Thanked 321 Times in 292 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

My respect for this unknown entity, Nikki Henderson, has risen to another height with this post. And her writing is excellent.

The last paragraph is a movie in itself... or a Producers Dream for Big Brother. I re-read it about 3 times looking between every line. For those contemplating their first long passage (in the right season!) should print that paragraph off and stick it to the fridge.

"we will arrive when we arrive". A pearl of wisdom.


Mark
SanderO and bigdogandy like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
MarkofSeaLife is offline  
post #345 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 21,391
Thanks: 84
Thanked 605 Times in 581 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Weightlessness in one’s bunk is far from simply uncomfortable. I would seriously worry about breaking something.

If there is anything to read between the lines, they want this over. Who wouldn’t.
SanderO, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #346 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Senior Member
 
midwesterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Peas.

There was something else I've cooked that's stupid.... Something round. Meat balls? Brussel Sprouts?....
Ahhhh more simple than that: sausages.
Cooked up a plate full and lost them on the floor in 5 seconds
How about meat balls smashed flat, and sausage patties, rather than sausage links? A meat ball sliced in half won't roll but one turn.
(And I'm not even an engineer.)

Last edited by midwesterner; 12-02-2019 at 01:57 PM.
midwesterner is online now  
post #347 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Moderator
 
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London!
Posts: 7,160
Thanks: 71
Thanked 321 Times in 292 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
How about meat balls smashed flat, and sausage patties, rather than sausage links? A meat ball sliced in half won't roll but one turn.
)And I'm not even an engineer.)

Maybe... but I defy you to think so clearly in a big sea


Mark
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
MarkofSeaLife is offline  
post #348 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Senior Member
 
midwesterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Weightlessness in one’s bunk is far from simply uncomfortable. I would seriously worry about breaking something.

If there is anything to read between the lines, they want this over. Who wouldn’t.
I'm not reading it that way. Riley and Nikki are true adventurers. With a couple of days to recover, and re-provision, I think they'd be ready to go again. I know that feeling from my wilderness excursions.

Nikki wrote: "We can now say 'only a day left'!

That’s both sad and exciting. But the sense of achievement will start to seep in - there is nothing quite like arriving somewhere and looking behind you and going “woah 3000 miles that way is America and we worked for every mile!”

I have felt those feelings after coming back from some of my most arduous adventures. My greatest reference for this feeling is backpacking. There have been trips during which, I thought, "I can't wait to get off this mountain and get back to civilization. My shoulders are sore. My legs are sore. It's rained almost the entire trip. I'm wet. I'm cold. I'm so sick of freeze dried backpacking meals. I can't wait for this trip to be over". Four hours later, I've had a hot shower, and ate a good meal. Then I might be driving on the highway, or someone has dragged me to a mall, and all I can think of, as I look back at the clouds ringing the mountain peak is, "God I'd give anything to be back on that mountain right now, sitting in my tent, in the rain, making hot cups of tea on my little cook stove, in the vestibule".
midwesterner is online now  
post #349 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast U.S
Posts: 2,487
Thanks: 5
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I'm not reading it that way. Riley and Nikki are true adventurers. With a couple of days to recover, and re-provision, I think they'd be ready to go again. I know that feeling from my wilderness excursions.

Nikki wrote: "We can now say 'only a day left'!

That’s both sad and exciting. But the sense of achievement will start to seep in - there is nothing quite like arriving somewhere and looking behind you and going “woah 3000 miles that way is America and we worked for every mile!”

I have felt those feelings after coming back from some of my most arduous adventures. My greatest reference for this feeling is backpacking. There have been trips during which, I thought, "I can't wait to get off this mountain and get back to civilization. My shoulders are sore. My legs are sore. It's rained almost the entire trip. I'm wet. I'm cold. I'm so sick of freeze dried backpacking meals. I can't wait for this trip to be over". Four hours later, I've had a hot shower, and ate a good meal. Then I might be driving on the highway, or someone has dragged me to a mall, and all I can think of, as I look back at the clouds ringing the mountain peak is, "God I'd give anything to be back on that mountain right now, sitting in my tent, in the rain, making hot cups of tea on my little cook stove, in the vestibule".
I think that goes for any trip one makes away from the normal hustle and bustle. I did a two week coastal cruise from New York City where I was keeping my boat at Chelsea Piers. We sailed our way east out to Nantucket and back. Mostly anchoring here and there. After getting back to the dock in Manhattan we decided to head to a Mexican Restaurant for dinner. The noise level was so disturbing after the weeks of quiet solitude of anchorages and the sound waves on the hull we could not wait to get out of there and back to the boat.

I hope the La Vagabonde crew are ready for the return to "civilization", crowds, media and the disturbance all those can create after all that time at sea. Nikki may be familiar with it but, it might be particularly jarring for Greta with her mental issues. I would hope they have a day or two of downtime to decompress and to get ready at the dock before the hoopla begins but, I doubt that will happen.
SanderO likes this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbianka is online now  
post #350 of 597 Old 12-02-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito
 
Barquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,450
Thanks: 1
Thanked 93 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I think that goes for any trip one makes away from the normal hustle and bustle. I did a two week coastal cruise from New York City where I was keeping my boat at Chelsea Piers. We sailed our way east out to Nantucket and back. Mostly anchoring here and there. After getting back to the dock in Manhattan we decided to head to a Mexican Restaurant for dinner. The noise level was so disturbing after the weeks of quiet solitude of anchorages and the sound waves on the hull we could not wait to get out of there and back to the boat.

I hope the La Vagabonde crew are ready for the return to "civilization", crowds, media and the disturbance all those can create after all that time at sea. Nikki may be familiar with it but, it might be particularly jarring for Greta with her mental issues. I would hope they have a day or two of downtime to decompress and to get ready at the dock before the hoopla begins but, I doubt that will happen.
It may be jarring, but, I think she has a bit of experience with crowds, media, etc. She has been on the cover of Time, nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, and spoken in front of the United Nations.
SanderO and TomMaine like this.

Valiant 32
Barquito is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome