Sailing La Vegabond - Page 36 - SailNet Community
 855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 597 Old 12-02-2019

Dock
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Weightlessness in one’s bunk is far from simply uncomfortable. I would seriously worry about breaking something.
Is breaking a 1 year old baby when it's thrown weightlessly around a bunk like a stuffed, plush, teddy bear 'breaking something'?

I sure don't give a hot damn about Nikki or Rileys resiliance... But babies and 16 year olds don't come cheap to replace but are easy broken.

Anyway, in a few hours they will have done it. All of them. But this does not mean the November North Atlantic "Season" is now open. These folks had a great boat, great sailors and Neptune's favor. Others, their wife, their baby may not be so... A l i v e

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 597 Old 12-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Unfortunately USCG changed how they keep HIN/MIC records about ten years ago. They now routinely reissue old MIC's (the first three characters) to new builders when a previous owner of the MIC goes defunct. They have always done this but they used to also publish the history of MIC's which they no longer do.

This has rendered their website useless to many old boat researchers.
Hmmm. Methinks your post is attached to the wrong thread...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #353 of 597 Old 12-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
It may be jarring, but, I think she has a bit of experience with crowds, media, etc. She has been on the cover of Time, nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, and spoken in front of the United Nations.
Maybe. It's one thing when you are use to your handlers shuffling you about or your doing your normal day to day life thing. But, after staring at sea for twenty one days and you come back to the noise of the crowd and city plus other demands like interviews it might be too much to soon. We'll soon see.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #354 of 597 Old 12-02-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Hmmm. Methinks your post is attached to the wrong thread...
ooops ! LOL.
Thanks
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #355 of 597 Old 12-02-2019

Plenty of time on the boat to be well prepped
Should play her part well, as planned
mbianka likes this.
post #356 of 597 Old 12-02-2019

Nikki Henderson's final thoughts?

Reflections from the North Atlantic:

For what feels like the first time in the entire journey, we are pointing directly towards Lisbon. We have 100 NM left to run before we can officially announce ‘mission complete’. The mission being - to safely sail Greta to Europe in time for her to attend the COP25 climate conference in Madrid.

Riley and I have spoken many times this trip about the ‘mission’. About feeling like we are now part of something significant. Like this crossing had real purpose beyond the normal “go from point ‘a’ to point ‘b’” which of course, whilst so simple, is one of the true beauties of travelling by sea: purpose.

Reading back through my messages from - unbelievably - only 23 days ago, we were discussing whether I would be the best person to help him and Elayna with the trip. I wrote to him and advised he make whatever decision was best for their safety - for there was “something bigger at stake than any of us”. I ... we ... felt a pull to work together for this bigger ‘thing’. There were good reasons to choose someone else - for example, the fact that I had to fly was not ideal considering what the trip represented, even though I did buy carbon offsets. What ultimately brought us together was the pull of the adventure, yes, but also a deeper common interest - a shared purpose ...

We have had many conversations on-board about the climate emergency - about how bleak the situation is. There have been some heated discussions too - is it too late? Should we still hope? Can we feel positive? Is it constructive to be afraid? To name a few.

Every discussion for me has been informative, and interesting. I’ve learned in much greater depth about the issues at hand - and had some ideas about how to contribute to fixing them. This was one reason I agreed to be part of this and support the crew - so in my view a successful 3 weeks!

One of my favourite conversations was with Svante and Greta yesterday. We were considering how the sailing trip that we have just done - a voyage that Greta decided was necessary for her to take - is so symbolic. On departing the USA we sacrificed any control or strict agenda. We surrendered to the ocean and to Mother Nature. We relied on science - the weather forecast - to guide us. We supported science with our own instinct for survival. We gained a unique perspective of how small we are in this big world. We compromised many of at least a Westerner’s life luxuries - plenty of food, running water, fast internet access - to name a few. Despite this, we are arriving feeling richer and more fulfilled than we left.

Reflecting on what this trip was about - the bigger ‘mission’- this conversation feels extremely relevant.

Whilst it could be misinterpreted this way, this trip was not about telling people what to do, or how to live. It was not about Greta or any of us travelling in the most sustainable way possible. If it was, there were probably slightly better options - although none perfect. There may have been skippers who could have joined the boat in two days without flying. There may have been boats without a diesel engine as a back up for power. There may have been vessels that could monitor their carbon footprint more closely.

This trip was about the bigger mission. It was for us to enable Greta - one of our influencers - our role models - to travel in the way that she felt was most in line with the youth climate movement message: To highlight the need for big structural change to fight the climate emergency. To make the point that there isn’t a sustainable way to travel yet, and there needs to be.

‘Big structural changes’ - no one knows exactly what that will entail. But I think it’s so beautiful that just by choosing to sail across the Atlantic, we demonstrated that it is possible to adopt ‘big structural changes’ into our lives - even if just for three weeks. These changes surely correspond with some of the changes necessary to solve the climate crisis: trusting science, setting aside differences and working together, sacrificing some of life‘s indulgences, surrendering control, compromising, staying optimistic - finding a shared sense of purpose.

By sailing across the Atlantic we have shown what it is possible to achieve if you work with nature, and not against her.

In making it to Lisbon by the power of the wind, we have in a small way, contributed to the youth climate movement. We had ‘walked the walk’ and ‘talked the talk’ so to speak. Perhaps that was our shared purpose after all … ?

It has been a privilege to have helped Riley and Elayna sail Greta and her father safely to Europe, and ultimately to her family and her home. Being part of this project is something I’ll remember for the rest of my life. It’s been an opportunity to deepen my understanding of the climate emergency; to make five new friends; and best of all, to enjoy and share the purity, the perspective, and the peace that sailing across an ocean provides.
Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Mike

post #357 of 597 Old 12-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Is breaking a 1 year old baby when it's thrown weightlessly around a bunk like a stuffed, plush, teddy bear 'breaking something'?

I sure don't give a hot damn about Nikki or Rileys resiliance... But babies and 16 year olds don't come cheap to replace but are easy broken.

Anyway, in a few hours they will have done it. All of them. But this does not mean the November North Atlantic "Season" is now open. These folks had a great boat, great sailors and Neptune's favor. Others, their wife, their baby may not be so... A l i v e
Riley finally posts a more detailed report of the passage if some what catatonically

"Apparent wind speed, sea state, how does she “feel” in the water, are the crew comfortable, check the sky, how much sail do we have up, how much should we, when is the latest weather update, true wind speed, when does the wind clock?, more main or more jib? Apparent wind speed, sea state, how does she “feel” in the water, are the crew comfortable, check the sky, how much sail do we have up, how much should we, when is the latest weather update, true wind speed, when does the wind clock?, more main or more jib? Apparent wind speed, sea state, how does she “feel” in the water, are the crew comfortable, check the sky, how much sail do we have up, how much should we, when is the latest weather update, true wind speed, when does the wind clock?, more main or more jib?"

ThereYouAre likes this.

Mike

post #358 of 597 Old 12-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post

I hope the La Vagabonde crew are ready for the return to "civilization", crowds, media and the disturbance all those can create after all that time at sea. Nikki may be familiar with it but, it might be particularly jarring for Greta with her mental issues.
Greta has been reported to have Asperger's Syndrome. That exists in a range from mild to moderate to severe. She appears to have mild to moderate Asperger's. It does not necessarily come with social anxiety. In fact, it is very likely that you have interacted, numerous times in your life, with people who have mild Asperger's, and you have not known it. She has chosen to conduct a public campaign to make people more aware of a climate crisis. She is driven by her concern. I'm sure she'll be fine.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.
post #359 of 597 Old 12-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Nikki Henderson's final thoughts?.......
I'm very happy they seem to be safe and have/will make landfall.

Reading this poetic recap, I couldn't help but think how religious it really is. All the emotional rationalizations for a life threatening passage in the name of a cause, engrandizing their impact on said cause and feeling spiritual. If one is in the choir, they are reading it and saying amen. The parallel to religion is strong.

Science is firmly entrenched in the measurement of climate change and it's contributing factors, including human carbon emission. What we are going to do about seems predominantly to be religious. Sacrifice, change, follow the spiritual leaders. Little to no scientific evidence this will work, but do so anyway, as it proves one is faithful.

I'll stick to the science. I accept climate is changing. I understand we need to adapt to a different future. This passage has only provided evidence to me of the irrational side of CC. Most thankfully, my point wasn't proven by the death of a 1 yr old baby.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #360 of 597 Old 12-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Greta has been reported to have Asperger's Syndrome. That exists in a range from mild to moderate to severe. She appears to have mild to moderate Asperger's. It does not necessarily come with social anxiety. In fact, it is very likely that you have interacted, numerous times in your life, with people who have mild Asperger's, and you have not known it. She has chosen to conduct a public campaign to make people more aware of a climate crisis. She is driven by her concern. I'm sure she'll be fine.
I have interacted with someone with Asperger's. It was a salesman. We were in a discussion when he suddenly left and proceeded to go out in a dingy and disappeared for about twenty minutes. I would have thought it strange but, he did mention his Asperger's. She also has OCD and selective mutism.

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in