Sailing La Vegabond - Page 39 - SailNet Community
 855Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast U.S
Posts: 2,487
Thanks: 5
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Apparently Riley at first nixed the idea of having another sailor like Nikki on board. Good thing he reconsidered IMO. How this trip came about is here (translated from Swedish): https://translate.google.com/transla...n/&prev=search
Andrew65 and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbianka is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #382 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 21,391
Thanks: 84
Thanked 605 Times in 581 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Apparently Riley at first nixed the idea of having another sailor like Nikki on board. Good thing he reconsidered IMO. How this trip came about is here (translated from Swedish): https://translate.google.com/transla...n/&prev=search
The article is very interesting and clearly draws questions around Riley's inherent decision making and risk taking. Jimmy Cornell's point that babies don't make passages any less safe may be debatable, if crew need be devoted to their attention or they require medical care without being able to verbalize the actual symptoms. Yes, the baby themselves are resilient, but I think he misses the point. The real point is that they can not care for themselves and can not participate in the risk decision. I've said before, it's the parent's call in the end. That doesn't make it the right call, it just clarifies who makes the call.

Riley has a risk taking gene, which itself can be used for good. However, if you mix that gene with any complacency over your actual skills or the actual level of risk, one eventually loses the draw.

The article also make clear they were recruited for the climate angle and no doubt the publicity it would provide. This thread is evidence of the viability of their strategy.
SanderO and mbianka like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #383 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast U.S
Posts: 2,487
Thanks: 5
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This last post reminds me of the issues about who you go to sea with for long passages. You're out there with no way of getting off and have to work together for the most part. Yet we may find ourselves with crew who turn out to be very different from what we expected. I was crew on a delivery from Caribe to LIS years ago. Skipper and one crew were fabulous. Not so for the other two. One was a skipper on another boat and the other was his female companion. Who wants to spend weeks with people who you don't care for?

What are your thoughts about crew and prep for an ocean passage?
I don't think you have to do a trans-Atlantic in order to have a bad experience with crew on board. Problems can occur on any trip. I had a friend who was crew on a number of trips and was excellent. We did a long trip up the Erie Canal in summer. Mast was stepped on deck and it was all motoring. After a few days in the heat and motor noise all day he got pretty grumpy and complained he missed his walks. It was not fun for either of us but, we got over it eventually.

I've long since giving up on making a trans Atlantic passage on anything smaller then the Queen Mary2 or Cargo ship. I just don't want to be that uncomfortable and/or bored for that long. Likewise I don't want take the boat south down the Intercoastal Waterway. Though they were certainly on the list in my younger days. I still have plans to head out on the Ocean far enough away from land so I don't see it. I will go out by myself and stay out as long as please and weather window remains good. I'll avoid any grumpy or seasick crews. I'll eat when i want. I'll make sure to rest. I'll just enjoy the solitude and avoid minimize the the stress. At least that's the plan.
SanderO likes this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 12-04-2019 at 07:57 AM.
mbianka is online now  
 
post #384 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
SanderO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,804
Thanks: 2
Thanked 131 Times in 131 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Minni makes excellent points. My take away from the article was that this was very much a publicity driven effort. Jimmy Cornell seems to be very willing to minimize risk and has ties to Outremer.... hmmmm.

Nikki appears to be a good choice for crew and in retrospect Riley could not have done it without her.

Greta is naive and doesn't know enough about the risk. I doubt her father or her did much due diligence before signing on.

I still believe they should have had more competent crew and not done this at this time frame. While Nikki is young and strong and has good offshore experience for such a young person my sense is she too is a risk taker like many young people are. They clearly were connected to shore support the entire time with lots of weather data and that adds a margin of safety to this mission.

Like everyone, I am pleased that they arrived safe and sound. I wonder what lessons learned will be or if we will ever hear them?
rstonge123 and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 12-04-2019 at 04:13 PM.
SanderO is online now  
post #385 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
MacBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 516
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Nikki appears to be a good choice for crew and in retrospect Riley could not have done it without her.
Not picking on Sander) but comments like this always make me wonder where people get their "facts." I was a bit obsessive about this trip mostly because it seemed like the first "real" sailing Riley had done and sometimes I worry about him (conservative he ain't). So I read all the posts of the participants on multiple social media outlets, followed several threads on various forums and checked the maps twice a day. Nowhere does it state, imply or even hint at Nikki being a lynchpin in the trip's success. Do I believe she was? Yes. But that is just a guess.

I look forward to the videos to get a glimpse into what things might have been like, although I in no way believe anyone will ever get the "real" story.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MacBlaze is online now  
post #386 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
SanderO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,804
Thanks: 2
Thanked 131 Times in 131 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
Not picking on Sander) but comments like this always make me wonder where people get their "facts." I was a bit obsessive about this trip mostly because it seemed like the first "real" sailing Riley had done and sometimes I worry about him (conservative he ain't). So I read all the posts of the participants on multiple social media outlets, followed several threads on various forums and checked the maps twice a day. Nowhere does it state, imply or even hint at Nikki being a lynchpin in the trip's success. Do I believe she was? Yes. But that is just a guess.

I look forward to the videos to get a glimpse into what things might have been like, although I in no way believe anyone will ever get the "real" story.
This will be an absurd debate. My thinking was that Ekayne had to attend to her infant and Greta had no experience... except maybe watchkeeping. Her dad is an unknown to me but again I think he was not an experienced sailor.. This would have out a tremendous burden on Riley.... AND it seems that they shared all sailing duties while the others did essentially nothing but galley.

Sailing for a few weeks single handed in those conditions is brutal. With two is a huge difference. I did a 4,000 mile delivery with one other guy and that was tiring enough and we didn't see anything over 30 knots and that was only for a squall.

I did not follow SLV and only read one article about Nikki. She seems like a great crew.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
SanderO is online now  
post #387 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,635
Thanks: 131
Thanked 246 Times in 238 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
Not picking on Sander) but comments like this always make me wonder where people get their "facts." I was a bit obsessive about this trip mostly because it seemed like the first "real" sailing Riley had done and sometimes I worry about him (conservative he ain't). So I read all the posts of the participants on multiple social media outlets, followed several threads on various forums and checked the maps twice a day. Nowhere does it state, imply or even hint at Nikki being a lynchpin in the trip's success. Do I believe she was? Yes. But that is just a guess.

I look forward to the videos to get a glimpse into what things might have been like, although I in no way believe anyone will ever get the "real" story.
Makes me laugh....what “facts”

The is a social media blog story. There is no fact checker.

The can embellish or leave out whatever parts of the story to make them look good or to meet their agenda of selling their website. Certainly you wouldn’t expect them to post or revel anything which would negatively impact their ability to make money.

The rampant speculation of what they are thinking, what their motives are, what their true relationships are is EXACTLY the forum/ story they are hoping to weave. It will keep their “fans”/ patrons involved and keep their money flowing.

By the looks of the response here they are achieving exactly what their goals are. After all all these reality shows really have this in mind. This reality show takes place on water in a sailboat. Quite unique location.
SanderO and MacBlaze like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #388 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
MacBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 516
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
By the looks of the response here they are achieving exactly what their goals are.
I agree in principle but you (and we all) fall into the same trap. No one has any idea what their "goals" really are, so stating it as a "fact" is a bit specious.

The glass half-empty people assume they are in it for the big bucks and will stop at nothing to manipulate their audience into buying into their story and emptying tier pocketbooks. The glass half-full will assume that they are in it to sail, live and enjoy themselves and share it while hopefully making a bit of cash along the way—in this case a nice chunk of change.

I worked in marketing for years. I know all about manipulation and yet I still like to look at things from the half-full perspective. I will take a lot of it at face value until it is proven otherwise. Why not? It is more enjoyable and hurts me not one iota.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MacBlaze is online now  
post #389 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,635
Thanks: 131
Thanked 246 Times in 238 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
I agree in principle but you (and we all) fall into the same trap. No one has any idea what their "goals" really are, so stating it as a "fact" is a bit specious.

The glass half-empty people assume they are in it for the big bucks and will stop at nothing to manipulate their audience into buying into their story and emptying tier pocketbooks. The glass half-full will assume that they are in it to sail, live and enjoy themselves and share it while hopefully making a bit of cash along the way—in this case a nice chunk of change.

I worked in marketing for years. I know all about manipulation and yet I still like to look at things from the half-full perspective. I will take a lot of it at face value until it is proven otherwise. Why not? It is more enjoyable and hurts me not one iota.
Sorry, I won’t bite that Apple.

Nicely positioning your argument as a half full and a positive outlook, vs others looking at it as half empty therefore a negative outlook is self effacing. It isn’t about positive or negative.

I’m a generally a very positive in attributing attributes to things. I See no altruistic idealistic attributes to this La Vagebond phenomenah. It reads like a reality show without the warts.

It’s is achieving its desired results of raising money , sponsored by a high end catamaran boat builder allow them to travel in a vessel which the couple could not even begin to afford normally. There appears to be a sophisticated media production in order to project this “ show” in the most positive way to get sponsors . Sponsors in this can be hits reading about the Outreamer . It’s a smooth well oiled marketing production which I am sure you can recognize. Of course having this on a sailing blog like SailNet is I am sure part of their plan.

For some SN it is red meat allowing them to project their opinions and experiences in building the reality part attributing thought processes of the cast members and debating what they are thinking. Living vicariously through their voyage , knowing very little factually what was happening on board except some tidbits broadcast by the “cast “ members.

There are no “Debbie downer” moments published, but why would they as it would take away from the positive marketing image. Hard to believe in over a three week period of time everyone had a kum-by-a passage.

No value judgement as this is par for the course as to what a segment of the population sees as entertainment in today’s world.

Think of how different the commentary would have been has MarK Sea of Life or Sander O , or Tempest had been on this voyage and HONESTY writing about it without worrry of a sponsorship. Now that would be real to life I would bet. Now that would be a story worth reading and learning from.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #390 of 597 Old 12-04-2019
Senior Member
 
MacBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 516
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
It’s is achieving its desired results of raising money , sponsored by a high end catamaran boat builder allow them to travel in a vessel which the couple could not even begin to afford normally. There appears to be a sophisticated media production in order to project this “ show” in the most positive way to get sponsors . Sponsors in this can be hits reading about the Outreamer . It’s a smooth well oiled marketing production which I am sure you can recognize. Of course having this on a sailing blog like SailNet is I am sure part of their plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Makes me laugh....what “facts”
You really don't see how much your own ideology is creating "facts" out of thin air?

You can wish all you want that this is a "smooth well oiled marketing production" but it is still within the realm of possibility its two savvy young 'uns who were at the right place at the right time and cashed in.

Seriously, Riley just doesnt strike me as that savvy. You should read his "book." I don't think you can fake that kind of naivety.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MacBlaze is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome