Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 (typical charter boat):
19,700 lbs
SA/D: 13.8
D/L: 154

Outremer 45 (La Vagabonde):
13,448 lbs
SA/D: 33.6
D/L: 67.6

I dunno about the bridgedeck clearance. I'm sure that makes a large difference.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 558 Old 11-14-2019
smj

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 (typical charter boat):

19,700 lbs

SA/D: 13.8

D/L: 154

Outremer 45 (La Vagabonde):

13,448 lbs

SA/D: 33.6

D/L: 67.6

I dunno about the bridgedeck clearance. I'm sure that makes a large difference.

And the Outremer 45 is actually 48 long. Compare that to a charter Leopard 48 at 32,000 lbs and the fact the Outremer probably has a higher bridgedeck clearance means it will ride on top of the water rather than through the waves. Two different boats with two different intents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #33 of 558 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Their YouTube homepage says:

We are an Australian couple with the dream of circumnavigating the globe by sail boat… initially having no clue of how to sail. We have now sailed over 60,000nm each across many oceans. Through our videos we hope to inspire others to explore alternative options of living and to spread ocean awareness. With YOUR support we can keep these movies coming every Monday/Tuesday (depending on your timezone)

They have 1.18 MILLION subscribers. Their web page now shows more then 90,000 miles sailed since 2014. It also shows the track for their current voyage. At this point it would appear that they know what they’re doing. Winter doesn’t actually start until 21 DEC. It should not take them that long to get to Spain. The Brest Atlantique multihulls went a good bit farther - from France to Brazil - in about a week.
How have they sailed 90,000 miles? That's almost three times around the world. With the track I have seen, they sailed a boat in the Mediterranean and sailed to the South Pacific and now Mediterranean and Caribbean. Around 30,000 miles and not 90,000 as listed in the news.

Last edited by Sailorsone; 11-14-2019 at 07:58 PM.

post #34 of 558 Old 11-14-2019

Dock

Dunno.

Where they are right now plugging up hill under motor escaping a developing gale up my butt I'd want the fastest boat for that motoring.
, and then I'd want the heaviest boat for the next 2,000nms.

The last 500 miles from Azores to Gibraltar can be in anything but those first few weeks with 2 gales per week coming off Hatteras... Yikes, you can flick that one right off.

I did Caribbean to UK in June 2 years ago. And when I finished it I spoke to a mate who had his 42 foot boat shipped from Caribbean to UK for US$9,000... At that price any person is a fool to sail that passage... And that's in June, the best month for it.
The North Atlantic is a tricky puddle. Outremer, Lagoon or Queen Mary.
SanderO, chef2sail and capta like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #35 of 558 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsone View Post
How have they sailed 90,000 miles? That's almost three times around the world. With the track I have seen, they sailed a boat in the Mediterranean and sailed to the South Pacific and now Mediterranean and Caribbean. Around 30,000 miles and not 90,000 as listed in the news.
They sailed the Beneteau for years and have made at least three Atlantic crossings. I think they've been sailing for 6 or 8 years.
post #36 of 558 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
They sailed the Beneteau for years and have made at least three Atlantic crossings. I think they've been sailing for 6 or 8 years.
They started in 2014. The Beneteau was in the med, once across the Atlantic to the Caribbean and then on to the South Pacific. The cat has been across the Atlantic once. All total, they aren't at a third of what is claimed in that quote.

The true mileage is impressive enough for a resume, so why telling fish stories? It's an ugly look
post #37 of 558 Old 11-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsone View Post

They started in 2014. The Beneteau was in the med, once across the Atlantic to the Caribbean and then on to the South Pacific. The cat has been across the Atlantic once. All total, they aren't at a third of what is claimed in that quote.

The true mileage is impressive enough for a resume, so why telling fish stories? It's an ugly look
So, four years. I watched most of their Beneteau era videos from the first one. I know they spent time sailing around a lot of Island countries. They have always seemed like pretty sincere young couple to me. Like you say, they would have no reason to pad their sailing resume. I wouldn't be too quick to believe that they have perpetrated some fraud against you.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #38 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
So, four years. I watched most of their Beneteau era videos from the first one. I know they spent time sailing around a lot of Island countries. They have always seemed like pretty sincere young couple to me. Like you say, they would have no reason to pad their sailing resume. I wouldn't be too quick to believe that they have perpetrated some fraud against you.
It's not a fraud... it's marketing.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #39 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Dock

I don't see why they are going south.
They are working their way into this weekends storm. Going due east could make them miss the storm entirely if passageweatger is correct. Further south and they hit the headwinds under the Azores High. And no matter what team you bat for, cats don't like headwinds for 2,000 miles.
It's tricky nav for this one.
Further, weather router will not be the Magic Butterfly as most will not be experienced in small sailing boats in November.
It does look like the Azores High pushes all the bad weather above it. That's fine. But headwinds...

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #40 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Dumb Questions for the peanut gallery...

Why are they making this passage? Was it planned before Greta need a ride back to Europe? Most boats on the East Coast head to the Caribbean at this time of year and to Europe on the Summer? Seems like there was no urgency to make this crossing now and it would have been more pleasant and safer had they waited out the winter before shoving off.

(These questions may be answered on the YT channel or website neither of which I follow.)

Any thoughts?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in