Sailing La Vegabond - Page 43 - SailNet Community
 855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #421 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Dock
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I certainly don't think Greta is anything more than a spoilt kid who should be at school. Why has she had months away from school?
She is not the producer, actor, presenter or writer of her life. She is the manipulated inanimate object of her parents activism.

Mark
Curious why you think sheís being manipulated by her parents, Mark?

From what Iíve read of their family story her
Mom was an actress and her dad was a writer, and Gretaís curiosity and passion for sustainability and climate issues came from influences outside the family. Her folks have supported her, surely, but it doesnít appear that they are the driving force behind her passion.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
I certainly don't think Greta is anything more than a spoilt kid who should be at school. Why has she had months away from school?
She is not the producer, actor, presenter or writer of her life. She is the manipulated inanimate object of her parents activism.

Mark
Valid points here. However at what age does an child have agency? She may have beliefs about the environment. She got them from some place....her parents? WWW? I don't know. She is still a minor and apparently her parents are supporting her. Recall Laura Dekker...

"Laura Dekker (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈlʌuraː ˈdɛkər]; born 20 September 1995) is a New Zealand-born Dutch sailor. In 2009, she announced her plan to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single-handed. A Dutch court stepped in, owing to the objections of the local authorities, and prevented Dekker from departing while under shared custody of both her parents. In July 2010, a Dutch family court ended this custody arrangement, and the record-breaking attempt finally began on 21 August 2010. Dekker successfully completed the solo circumnavigation in a 12.4-metre (40 ft) two-masted ketch, arriving in Simpson Bay,[2] Sint Maarten, 518 days later at the age of 16"

Laura proved to be competent. Greta has somehow managed to become a icon the the youth's concern about the environment. Adults made most of that happen.... some for cynical reason... like Outremer etc.

But for people of all ages who care about the environment... they see her as raising consciousness and that is not a bad thing. Debate is ongoing.

People who go for "fame" make a sort of deal with the devil...it goes with the territory and most are more than willing to make the deal.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #423 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Curious why you think she’s being manipulated by her parents, Mark?

From what I’ve read of their family story her
Mom was an actress and her dad was a writer,.. .
Hi Andy,

[edited]

I'd start there.

Mark

I cut something out. Self moderating...? Lol
bigdogandy and mbianka like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-06-2019 at 08:36 AM.

post #424 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Dock

Quote:
Hi Andy,

[edited]

I'd start there.

Mark

I cut something out. Self moderating...? Lol

My fault....I got off the sailing topic!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #425 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Quote:

Mark
That is one possible assessment. Another is, that she is a girl who learned a passion from her parents, about environmentalism and a concern for the future of our planet. Then her passion grew with the intensity of adolescence, and maybe she has parents who support her passions and interests and look for creative ways to inspire and enhance them. There are more ways for kids to gain an education than just sitting in desks in a classroom.

There are a lot of parents who allow their kids time out of school to train and compete in the Olympics, travel to do aid work in other countries, and sail around the world. There is the family on Sailing Zatara, the Casper Craven family, and Jamie and Behan Gifford, all home schooling their kids on sailboats. Their biology lessons might be snorkeling in the Azores, and their language lessons might be practicing their Spanish and Q'eqchi' in Belize.

Greta has now crossed the Atlantic Ocean twice, visited the US for the first time, and addressed the United Nations. As an educator, if Greta could write or speak informatively about her experience, upon her return, I'd have no problem signing off on a semester's worth of school credit for Social Studies, Geography, Environmental Sciences, Political Science, and maybe Language Arts.

Plus, she is traveling with her father. Have you ever done some extended adventure travel with your kids? Today, some of the best father/child bonding memories my kids mention, are the trips I took with them.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.
post #426 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Does anyone know where one could find Gretaís documented position on climate? I understand the benefit of raising awareness, but itís hollow without a particular stance. What exactly does she want to see done and what does she see it accomplishing? I thought Iíd find a website with this info.

Greta is currently 16 years old. I understand she got her start by skipping school and protesting outside Swedish government offices. I highly doubt sheís on a life experience study program. One canít help but be impressed with her courage and conviction, but thatís not a full life.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #427 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
That is one possible assessment. Another is, that she is a girl who learned a passion from her parents,
The same as the 7 year old transgender Texan who is about to have its penic cut off?

Laws in most countries have adulthood at 18 by legislation... But scientists say the human brain hadn't developed fully until 25.

Whatever 16 is, it's as close to 7 years old as 25.

Preach when you've grown a brain.
Minnewaska and mbianka like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #428 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Does anyone know where one could find Gretaís documented position on climate? I understand the benefit of raising awareness, but itís hollow without a particular stance. What exactly does she want to see done and what does she see it accomplishing? I thought Iíd find a website with this info.

Greta is currently 16 years old. I understand she got her start by skipping school and protesting outside Swedish government offices. I highly doubt sheís on a life experience study program. One canít help but be impressed with her courage and conviction, but thatís not a full life.
I don't imagine Greta sought the position she now finds herself in. But she is not shirking it and perhaps exploiting it believing it spreads her core message that humans need to change their behavior and safe a planet's.... she sees (others do as well) from hastening the loss of species and habitats... life on earth as we know it. But sure the planet will go on as it cares not for life on earth or the level of the seas or the plastic floating on them. If she raises consciousness and gets people to reduce, reuse, recycle and so on she is accomplishing something. What's wrong with that?

Most posters will be long gone when her generation is left with what we hand them

Sailors on the boats out there understand the necessity of conservation and working with their environment. Sailors don't toss their refuse over board.
bigdogandy likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #429 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Snapping a quick picture at a beach bar, or a short vid, on your phone and texting it to your friends to let them see is not work.

It's also not what they are doing. I have to believe you don't watch any of this to have any idea what it must take to create these videos. There is the constant filming, during every experience you are having. That is work. Have you ever been the one who was responsible for filming your kid doing something. By the time you're done looking through the lens or at the screen and getting it all in frame, you feel like you missed it in real life.

There there is the B-roll of all the secondary shots they'll talk over later and all the set ups. One often sees a vid of a hike on an island, with both characters in the shot. They had already hiked up that trail, placed the camera, hiked back and re-hiked past it. Yes, it's work.

Then, imagine having to re-watch hours of awful footage that was being captured in bulk, just to find 15 minutes worth using. Finally, these popular channels have mastered real editing techniques. They aren't home movies.

Do you think TV shows, Movies, Travel Documentaries, etc, are work?
Such hard work..Hrs and hrs to edit....not hardly.

maybe what you mean is time consuming. I am sure it takes some time.

So many people when they work in a job work at least 40 hours per week. 8 per day. How many hours does it take to edit this stuff. Are you sure they donít have professional Outreamer help?

Iím not minimizing that it does take a certain commitment and time however letís get real and not make it out to be more than it is, They have no deadlines like a real job.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #430 of 597 Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
..... If she raises consciousness and gets people to reduce, reuse, recycle and so on she is accomplishing something. What's wrong with that?......
Nothing overtly wrong with it. It may not be time or resources well spent, unless I can understand what is actually being suggested.

Reforestation sounds like a very important and viable action we could all be taking. Recycling may actually be useless for some materials, soaking up huge amounts of funding.

The species is not going to move backwards, so any effort there is wasting time, as self righteous as the movement wants to be. The pragmatists will solve this problem. The activists never do.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in