Heck... go for virtual reality!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
What I don’t understand is the intolerance of some who when presented with an alternative point of view concerning them to demean the alternative opinions and find it necessary to prove their opinions as wrong. Can’t we just tolerate others opinions which are not similar, and move forward or is this a sign of the new times too.��������
The reason this discussion has become completely pointless is because you can't see the irony in this statement.

BTW, if the comments are any indication, plenty of sailors watch LaV and it's ilk. Of course that will likely just spur another thread drift about "what is a real sailor?"
Minnewaska likes this.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacBlaze For This Useful Post:
Sailorsone (12-07-2019)
post #453 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Heck... go for virtual reality!
There is no doubt that will be part of the future. I'm sure the purists will object. However, I think it will allow people to have a multitude of experiences, without the necessary investment of time and treasure in all of them.

I'm also convinced that humans will retain some real life experience too, but VR will vastly expand upon it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #454 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

I’ve actually read the entire thread and it was enlightening for me. I didn’t know much of the background.

There is another aspect to the story though I believe, imho, and it’s about the trench coat puppetmaster Cornell arranging it for the publicity benefit of Outremer. I wonder what his cut was in it all. His first choice backed out which isn’t a surprise, so he went with the alternative, Riley and co., to get the job done on an Outremer.

Personally, I think that it was rude (understatement) of Cornell to stealthy pressure them into the trip. I think that he was playing with their lives. I wonder what sweet package he offered Riley. I’d like to hear about it.

Riley at first resisted. Sure, why stick your neck out when they’ve over 1mil of viewers and making enough money to do what they want with little risk. Cornell knew that suggesting an experienced captain/crew member was needed so the best would be a non-threat to Riley’s ego..i.e. a young woman (she’s no slouch for sure, but certainly not a brute of an old salt that could quickly piss off someone with the time frame they had to do this run within thus ruining the entire Outremer publicity stunt). She was a perfect choice. No damaged egos.

Even Robin Knox-Johnston put it out there too, “Greta couldn’t be in better hands than Nikki’s”. In other words, Riley is an idiot and not really qualified to do the trip in question.

This whole saga has rightfully fired up many people in the sailing community because prudence and smart seamanship dictates to not tackle that trip in November (off season) with a timeframe and an unknown crew attached to it. Unknown crew are a scary lot to sail with. People change at sea. Been there, done that. No thank you. Never again.

I wonder what Cornell would of said if the trip ended with a completely different outcome (not arriving or imparting a huge rescue operation).

“Oops, sorry”, isn’t an answer.
SanderO, chef2sail and mbianka like this.

You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.

Last edited by Andrew65; 12-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #455 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
I’ve actually read the entire thread and it was enlightening for me. I didn’t know much of the background.

There is another aspect to the story though I believe, imho, and it’s about the trench coat puppetmaster Cornell arranging it for the publicity benefit of Outremer. I wonder what his cut was in it all. His first choice backed out which isn’t a surprise, so he went with the alternative, Riley and co., to get the job done on an Outremer.

Personally, I think that it was rude (understatement) of Cornell to stealthy pressure them into the trip. I think that he was playing with their lives. I wonder what sweet package he offered Riley. I’d like to hear about it.

I wonder what Cornell would of said if the trip ended with completely different outcome (not arriving or imparting a huge rescue operation).

“Oops” isn’t an answer.
I don't know boo about Cornell except the usual marketing pap. His role seems pretty weird to me.... especially since word has it that he is getting a cat from Outremer. How's that for an ulterior self serving motive? I would have thought that he would know how ill advised this passage was at this time with such a small crew. I can only attribute this to some quid pro quo in there. Why take such a chance with people's lives? This is speculation, but if true it tarnishes Outremer, SLV, Nikki Henderson and of course the naive Thundbergs. This dude has some answering to do. But I doubt he will do it.

Another side of the story which is a turn off. Well done Jimmy!
chef2sail, Andrew65 and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 12-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #456 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
The reason this discussion has become completely pointless is because you can't see the irony in this statement.

BTW, if the comments are any indication, plenty of sailors watch LaV and it's ilk. Of course that will likely just spur another thread drift about "what is a real sailor?"
Et tu,

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #457 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Quote:

Riley at first resisted. Sure, why stick your neck out when they’ve over 1mil of viewers and making enough money to do what they want with little risk. Cornell knew that suggesting an experienced captain/crew member was needed so the best would be a non-threat to Riley’s ego..i.e. a young woman (she’s no slouch for sure, but certainly not a brute of an old salt that could quickly piss off someone with the time frame they had to do this run within thus ruining the entire Outremer publicity stunt). She was a perfect choice. No damaged egos.

Even Robin Knox-Johnston put it out there too, “Greta couldn’t be in better hands than Nikki’s”. In other words, Riley is an idiot and not really qualified to do the trip in question.

This whole saga has rightfully fired up many people in the sailing community because prudence and smart seamanship dictates to not tackle that trip in November (off season) with a timeframe and an unknown crew attached to it. Unknown crew are a scary lot to sail with. People change at sea. Been there, done that. No thank you. Never again.

I wonder what Cornell would of said if the trip ended with a completely different outcome (not arriving or imparting a huge rescue operation).

I'd be interested in your sources for all this. How much is reasonable and how much is supposition. Riley certainly has a a Cornell-crush but I've never heard of a "first choice"/second choice scenario. It would be nice to see some primary source material.

It certainly does cast a different light on the whole voyage if even half true.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

before it's too late

Youtube:
post #458 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Quote:

If you have any real knowledge or evidence of these things you're accusing or insinuating please share....otherwise you've just started a thread drift of unfounded conspiracy / slander / character attacks......

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #459 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

mbianka’s post #381 has an article for my source. It quotes Cornell and makes him out to be the coordinator. The boat is fully capable, he knows it too, but to put others at risk for the PR is not cool. He had to have offered some kind of carrot to persuade Riley.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.

Last edited by Andrew65; 12-07-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #460 of 572 Old 12-07-2019

Quote:
He had to have offered some kind of carrot to persuade Riley.
Objection! Speculation...

Man, I could never be a lawyer or a judge...

before it's too late

Youtube:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in