Sailing La Vegabond - Page 50 - SailNet Community
 832Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #491 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I'm sure a lot of people here have read A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols, which is the story of the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race in 1968. In a way, that race was a reality show before cable TV and smartphones, and it did not end well for all participants especially Donald Crowhurst and Nigel Tetley, as most know.

Itís now on my books to read list.....thanks

An no I donít watch reality shows at all. I have enough reality in my own life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Dave makes an excellent point.

People who subscribe, read about the trip online or in the papers will clearly not learn about the stupid this effort involved... they will come away with WOW how cool missing all the risk that was involved. And of course it will be marketed heavily... look what Outremer can do... look at how it can be shorthanded in brutal conditions... look at how brilliant the crew was and so on.

99.99% of the consumers of this effort will miss what may be the most important lessons... about sailing for sure.

I suppose they will produce an episode of the channel... to entertain subscribers.
Yes, it's already happened. This couple, inspired by some of the video blogs, tried to enter the cruising lifestyle without much sailing experience.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nks/326152002/
post #493 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
It's all about the money. What you write is not unexpected for commercial interests who rely on publicity of all sorts to sell their product.

We've moved to digital media / online to get news. be entertained... make purchases. YouTube became a revenue possibility to Jane Doe and YT... and manufacturers. People these days seem to accept this all as status quo and A-OK. News has turned to infotainment... even eye candy.

I suppose these sailing vlogs have perhaps turned more people on to sailing than they have turned off to it. They might inspire people to travel and so on. All mostly positive I suppose.

As has been mentioned... sailing vlogs can be instructional, informative and useful to sailors. I doubt that brings in much cash. Why people are entertained by movies, or reality shows, quiz shows and such is anyone's guess. They are. They cost and they are produced to make money.... money to pay for production and distribution and pay the producers, actors and so forth. I suppose even free content comes with a cost.

They don't want you to know it's about the money. You'd feel manipulated and taken advantage of.
I'm very concerned about this happening to me: The constant attention; hounded by my fans; having to make choices about endorsements; and the complete loss of my privacy that all of this will bring.

I fear that I'm very close to being thrust into the role of social influencer. After only three years on Twitter, I just yesterday got my fourth Twitter follower.
chef2sail, Minnesail and mbianka like this.

post #494 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Yes, it's already happened. This couple, inspired by some of the video blogs, tried to enter the cruising lifestyle without much sailing experience.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nks/326152002/
They sank their boat, had a successful GoFundMe campaign, obtained another one, and continued their impulsive wanderings...

https://www.tampabay.com/pinellas/wh...ture-20190218/
chef2sail and mbianka like this.
post #495 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Dock

A bit off topic.

"Right now he is in the midst of preparing for a land-based cruise with a catamaran to be built on the Outremer shipyard in the seaside town of La Grand-Motte."

Is Outremer putting wheels on their cats now?

-Hugh
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #496 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
IMO the problem is we are so use to "pack" Journalism and those reporters who just follow the narrative. It was pretty much "The Greta Show" for most of the media. Riley and Elyana were sometimes just that "Austrian" couple. Nikki was even lower on the list. So when the Swedish publication actually practiced very good Journalism (Who, What, When, Where and Why) it stands out and provides a much more interesting and informative story than just Greta sailed back to Europe on a boat. Digging into the background as the Swedish publication did will do that. It was refreshing to read it.
Yes, it was refreshing to read. The journalist asked himself some very good questions to answer by digging a little deeper into the event. I was wondering why Cornell was never mentioned by Riley. You’d think that he’d at least give him a shout out and to at least thank the weather router. Maybe that was part of the conversation between them though. “Don’t mention me. You take all the credit. Think of the increased subscribers you’ll get afterwards. If you mention me, you may not look as heroic. You want to be heroic, don’t you?”. Meanwhile, Jimmy cashes in on his Outremer benefits.

Chef2sail and Mark sum it up beautifully. Everything about it went against good seamanship and for Cornell to be a big part of the arrangement was very surprising to read. I’ve been to one of his seminars. It was ok. He’s definitely a legend, but still can make mistakes like anyone. Hero worship can be dangerous. Being a bug in Riley’s ear was one of them, but thankfully it all turned out well. I also still can’t help shaking my head about him being worried for the people who were worrying about Lenny. When he sailed, he could at least talk to his kids, tell them what to do or how to help. His were different than a dribbling 1 year old.

Cornell’s book WSR has a spot on my shelf too. It’s an excellent read.

I don’t watch SLV because of the same reasons by many. If I watch any it’s the little ones. They solve their problems and just don’t throw money at it.

You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.

Last edited by Andrew65; 12-09-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #497 of 570 Old 12-09-2019
Demongin007

NPR lol it will put me to sleep
post #498 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
Yes, it was refreshing to read. The journalist asked himself some very good questions to get answers for by digging a little deeper into the event. I was wondering why Cornell was never mentioned by Riley. Youíd think that heíd at least give him a shout out. To at least thank the weather router. Maybe that was part of the conversation between them though. ďDonít mention me. You take all the credit. Think of the increased subscribers youíll get afterwards. If you mention me, you may not look as heroic. You want to be heroic, donít you?Ē. Meanwhile, Jimmy cashes in on his Outremer benefits.

Chef2sail and Mark sum it up beautifully. Everything about it went against good seamanship and for Cornell to be a big part of the arrangement was very surprising to read. Iíve been to one of his seminars. It was ok. Heís definitely a legend, but still can make mistakes like anyone. Hero worship can be dangerous. Being a bug in Rileyís ear was one of them, but thankfully it turned out well. Cornellís book WSR has a spot on my shelf too. Itís an excellent read.

I donít watch SLV because of the same reasons by many. If I watch any itís the little ones. They solve their problems and Judy donít throw money at it.
I think we will have to see how the La Vagabonde folks portray how the idea for this trip came to be in their videos once they post them. Will Cornell's involvement be mentioned? Will Riley's initial opposition to having another experienced sailor on board be mentioned? It is interesting that we know a little bit more of the back story on the trip thanks to the Swedish article. It was a little more involved than the Riley just contacting Greta and her dad with the offer to take them across the Atlantic. I also wonder how keen Elyana was to make this trip since she has become little more cautious since having the baby. I think Nikki Henderson had an idea of what was involved in this passage but, did Riley and Elyana?
SanderO and Andrew65 like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #499 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
They sank their boat, had a successful GoFundMe campaign, obtained another one, and continued their impulsive wanderings...

https://www.tampabay.com/pinellas/wh...ture-20190218/
I was wondering what happened to them.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #500 of 570 Old 12-09-2019

The saga continues, eh?

I think Riley and Elayna have sailed enough to have known the risk ahead. Iím wondering what the tipping point in Cornellís sales pitch was that finally committed them to commit. It came together rather quick, almost too quick. My money is on Riley having been star struck by Cornell and knowing theyíd solidify themselves as a household name by being the only Johnny-on-the-spot to transport Greta to the dance.

Youíre right. The show isnít finished yet.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in