Sailing La Vegabond - Page 53 - SailNet Community
 855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #521 of 597 Old 12-11-2019

Dock
Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
for over 50 years, Time magazine was a cultural touchstone, maker and breaker of politicians, "the" source for in depth news and analysis.
As an Aussie I always knew I would be fully informed if I read the Sydney Morning Herald, London Times, Washington Post, New York Times, Time and National Geographic.

Now they are all biased trash. Except the Nat Geo which just sells expensive vacations

Quote:

Now that we've cleared that up, what exactly is a "Vegabond"?

Obvious. A vegan in hand-me-down clothes.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 597 Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Of all the properties owned by Time Warner (HBO, Cinemax, Warner Bros., DC Comics, New Line Cinema, etc.), I would venture to say that Time magazine is the "most" irrelevant.
I use to work in Rockefeller Center in New York across from the Time Life Building. I remember coming to work at midnight and seeing limos lined up and down the block. They were there to wisk those editors working on the next weekly edition of Time home. Now I don't even think they have a print edition. I suspect the Limos are long gone too.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #523 of 597 Old 12-11-2019

Break wind too often on the elevator...suddenly you are riding alone

post #524 of 597 Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I use to work in Rockefeller Center in New York across from the Time Life Building. I remember coming to work at midnight and seeing limos lined up and down the block. They were there to wisk those editors working on the next weekly edition of Time home. Now I don't even think they have a print edition. I suspect the Limos are long gone too.
They have a pretty successful print edition. My parents get it. I prefer The Economist, but if it weren't for that I'd probably get Time:

Time (magazine)

List of magazines by circulation

You might be thinking of Newsweek. It went under and re-surfaced as an online only publication, and not a very good one.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #525 of 597 Old 12-11-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
They have a pretty successful print edition. My parents get it. I prefer The Economist, but if it weren't for that I'd probably get Time:

Time (magazine)

List of magazines by circulation

You might be thinking of Newsweek. It went under and re-surfaced as an online only publication, and not a very good one.
Obviously someone still reads it with 3,000,000 subscribers in the US.
So I guess that metric means they don’t miss some of you canceling your subscriptions

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #526 of 597 Old 12-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
They have a pretty successful print edition. My parents get it. I prefer The Economist, but if it weren't for that I'd probably get Time:........
As noted in your link.......

Quote:
The following list of American magazines is in accordance with their paid and non-paid circulation
The thing you can't tell in circulation numbers is how many are actually subscribing to the periodical. These printed magazines are sending more and more complimentary or shelf sitting copies, just to have "circulation" numbers to attract advertisers. It's a losing battle, as the advertisers are on to it. The print mag business is in a death spiral and Time mag is clearly a shadow of it's former self.

I too prefer the Economist. Sometimes they go off the rails, but even then, it's thought provoking.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #527 of 597 Old 12-12-2019

Dock

Nation Surprised To Learn Time Magazine Still In Print

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-s...still-in-print
mstern, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
post #528 of 597 Old 12-12-2019

Dock

The Bee is the best media out there. Way out there
I love it
PhilCarlson likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #529 of 597 Old 12-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
Nation Surprised To Learn Time Magazine Still In Print

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-s...still-in-print
very Onion-esq.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #530 of 597 Old 12-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Obviously someone still reads it with 3,000,000 subscribers in the US.
So I guess that metric means they don’t miss some of you canceling your subscriptions
Lots of dentists waiting areas....

The problem with any printed media is that by the time the information is gathered, written, edited, printed, and distributed, it's OLD news compared with what's available for free online. By the time you read it in a printed magazine, the story has moved on and what you are reading is often no longer very relevant. How do you sell that? Even with all the free copies that are sent out, and the dentists and doctors office waiting rooms, I'm pretty surprised that they send out three million copies.

I also wonder that all these print publications, from the NY Times to printed magazines like Time, most of which have a distinctly liberal editorial slant and regularly pay homage to all the PC deities, including those involving the environment, manage to justify the tremendous amount of forest that has to be cut down, the nasty chemicals used to process those trees into paper, and the fossil fuels it takes to distribute the printed copies far and wide. They cause all that impact to the environment to produce something that they know will become trash in a week or less and they repeat it every day (or week), while constantly expressing concern about climate change and other environmental issues. It seems to me that if they really believed in what they print about these subjects, they'd cease printing hard copies and disseminate their information online only. Their failure to do that and their continuing to crank out millions of hard copies every day that they know will become pollution by the next day tells us what their top priority really is. I support their right to make a buck any legal way they can, but just wish they'd lose their holier than thou attitude and be a little more honest about what REALLY matters most to them, $$$.
boatpoker and mbianka like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in