Sailing La Vegabond - Page 57 - SailNet Community
 832Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #561 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Not that I am going to watch it but notice it's now de rigour to wear a national flag on your foulies à la spacesuit ?

Part of the plan to make Sweden Greta again! In the old days sailors just use to write their name on their underwear in case their bodies were recovered.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #562 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
In the old days sailors just use to write their name on their underwear in case their bodies were recovered.
Sailors wore underwear in the old days?
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #563 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

For all of the naysayers on this thread, who speculated all kinds of negative things like: Greta would pitch a fit if they had to use the engine for a bit; that Riley was burdened by a couple of lazy burdensome tag-a-longs; That they would all be in conflict; that Elyna would be of no help because of her mothering duties.

It seems that Greta and her dad learned some sailing and seamanship skills and helped out. It looks like Greta helped with cooking and entertaining Lenny. It seems like they all got along well, and it seems like they all got into the challenge of seeing how much they could sail and avoid the use of the engine. As a sailor, I'd take that challenge. When I sail, I challenge myself to see how much I can rely on wind alone, and avoid turning on the "iron gennie". Why would anybody who calls themselves a sailor, do anything else?

post #564 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

A lot of posters were lambasting Riley and Elyna for being so cavalier about taking their infant son along for the ride. I found it especially interesting to hear how Riley felt about that responsibility. For those of you who won't watch the video, he seemed almost fanatical about making sure the boat was as prepared as possible specifically because he felt the weight of having Lenny with them. You may still disagree with the idea of them bringing Lenny along or even doing the trip at all, but I don't think you can say they didn't feel the responsibility.

BTW, this was only about the second or third SLV video I have ever seen; and I only watched it because of the kerfuffle that I read about here. I don't dislike them; they're just not my cup of rum.
drew1711, bigdogandy and mbianka like this.
post #565 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

I guess I was part of the negativity that is now negatively being criticized.

Anyone all that surprised that video was edited to provide the most positive light?

It will take more than editing to convince me that one can be properly prepared to take an infant on a North Atlantic crossing in winter. Feeling responsible/guilty doesn’t change anything. However, like I said above, it is the parents choice to make.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #566 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

I am thinking that Riley has arrived at a place of over confidence as it relates to sailing. Of course not everyone faces a major challenge which tests their mettle. Zan who is a great sailor with much experience faced such a challenge on his recent passage in the Atlantic in winter.

Prudence would dictate other actions certainly with consideration to an infant. He could have flown his wife and child to Europe, assembled a delivery crew and transported Greta and her dad. And they still might have met with serious problems.

They were lucky and my sense is that this will only reinforce his sense of being invincible. He makes videos because it makes him lots of dough... and perhaps in this case it impacted his judgment. Having another "opportunist" and world class sailor who had a relationship with Outremer pushing this venture is also troubling.

I choose to not enable this sort of "behavior". YMMV
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #567 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Anyone all that surprised that video was edited to provide the most positive light?

It will take more than editing to convince me that one can be properly prepared to take an infant on a North Atlantic crossing in winter. Feeling responsible/guilty doesn’t change anything. However, like I said above, it is the parents choice to make.
I'm not criticizing that point of view. I agree with it. I don't think any level of preparation would ever be enough to convince me that it was prudent to take an infant across the North Atlantic in the winter (or anytime really). And yes, no doubt editing played a large part in the presentation of Riley's feelings. My only point was that he looked and acted sincere to me with his concerns.

As you point out, we each weigh the risks/rewards, pros/cons, and make our own decisions. The fact that Riley and Elyna are living the life they do shows me that they and I aren't playing in the same league; heck, we're not even playing the same game. So I'm not going to pretend that I can understand why they make any of their decisions.
Minnewaska and mbianka like this.
post #568 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Interesting that there was no mention that Riley was planning to just head out with Elyna, Greta, her father and the baby at first. When Jimmy Cornall heard that he advised Greta's father not to make the trip. That's when Nikki was added onto the crew. A wise move IMO.

Riley did have the right focus on prepping the boat even if it was rushed and stressful. Though the fact that he was still trying to secure the stored outboard at 12 midnight the night before they left says things were a little rushed to make the weather window and get Greta to her meeting. Also there was no mention of the leaking seal on one of the engine transmissions they discovered in Montauk. Though perhaps it was already corrected before they set out.
Minnewaska likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #569 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Interesting that there was no mention that Riley was planning to just head out with Elyna, Greta, her father and the baby at first. When Jimmy Cornall heard that he advised Greta's father not to make the trip. That's when Nikki was added onto the crew. A wise move IMO.

Riley did have the right focus on prepping the boat even if it was rushed and stressful. Though the fact that he was still trying to secure the stored outboard at 12 midnight the night before they left says things were a little rushed to make the weather window and get Greta to her meeting. Also there was no mention of the leaking seal on one of the engine transmissions they discovered in Montauk. Though perhaps it was already corrected before they set out.
I think the "Greta" videos are jumping ahead of their normal video show. I enjoyed their last few videos so much I subscribed. If I have it right they jumped from departing Newport in the late summer or early fall to leaving the Chesapeake bay area after being there for a time. I believe the date of their crossing began Nov. 4th. Hardly 'winter'.

When I say hardly winter, I say that not to judge anyone or anything other than it seems that it was not really a winter crossing.
mbianka likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #570 of 570 Old 1 Week Ago

Quibbling over a few weeks to the winter solstice is form over substance in the North Atlantic.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in