Sailing La Vegabond - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 809Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Yes, but Mark you have always had the benefit of time and planning. These folks have turned it into a Smokey and The Bandit movie.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
We're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.
Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes.
Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

So given their insistance to jump into the pool of sharks, it's surely beneficial to have a racer who has been forced to do that same thing numerous times. Prudent decision would be not to go at all. But that page (#1) of the planning process appeared to get lost in the shuffle, or perhaps placed at the bottom of the paper stack. It also looks like they never going to turn on the motor, at least judging from the direction and variable boat speeds that get updated. 4 - 10 knts in various directions sort of indicates a boat under sail. Or a serious fight for the wheel.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
There's reference to NH up thread. I'm sort of puzzled what you mean by not including salient facts?

I don't know if it's salient or not, but I would like to point out that Joshua Slocum was lost one hundred years ago, yesterday, in the same general location as LV is right now.

I'm pretty sure he had a credential or two under his belt before he died.
Remember Joshua Slocum also had a woman (wife) on board when he was lost. Riley has three! Just sayin'
RegisteredUser likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Looking for max clicks, right...
Shoot the strait, land at barcelona, then lead catalan march to madrid..on ebikes
The climate bs could be a springboard to even greater things
Remember, seas will part....

post #64 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Remember Joshua Slocum also had a woman (wife) on board when he was lost. Riley has three! Just sayin'
No, Slocum did not have a woman aboard, or anyone else. He was alone.

His wife told the press she believed he was lost at sea and ultimately petitioned the courts to have him declared legally dead. That is my recollection, FWIW.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #65 of 558 Old 11-15-2019

Quote:

His wife told the press she believed he was lost at sea and ultimately petitioned the courts to have him declared legally dead. That is my recollection, FWIW.
I stand corrected. Don't recall where I heard/read he and his wife set off and were never heard from again.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 11-16-2019 at 01:11 AM.
post #66 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I think its pretty clear its to take Greta back to Europe. It has the feel of a quick decision, but Im no mind reader so how would anyone know? But I think I recall reading an article (or maybe just a headline as I don't read articles about her) only a few weeks ago that she (ie her parents) were looking for a (free?) way to get back home.

Of the many things I don't know, so I am just generalising the comments to anyone, is if Riley and Elayna have done much in the way of cold weather sailing? Hasn't all their stuff been tropical downwind passages? As I look out the window of my boat in London... I can tell you that its cold, windy and wet and Im really not qualified to sail today. But virtually every day of the last month has been either cold, wet or windy, or all 3. Each week a gale/storm or crappy weather. I know London is a lot further north than Hatteras... but Cape Hatteras has a reputation for a reason. and that line Cape Hatteras - Bermuda - Azores - Spain/Gib is a line that storms start Great Lakes to the Caribbean and hit Hatteras and then turn on that line to the Azores.
Yes, they will probably be fine, a tad cold but thats just a bit of experience, go put on more clothes and hunker down. However the risk percentage is much higher than the 'proper' months to sail.

Now, a word about persuasion.... and this is not meant to be a politically loaded statement whatever... (these, again, are general comments)
We all know not to be locked into time frames imposed by friends and relatives, but sometimes we do get persuaded. Why? Because Great Aunt Betsy has a persuasive personality. (I have a mate who is an ex-police murder detective... he can fry my brain in 5 seconds)
I get the feeling that Greta's parents are very persuasive people and have taught the child persuasion. Otherwise how could she scream at elected politicians and gain some worldwide attention?
So I think its vital we guard ourselves in the future for people who might use some weird trick to persuade us to lock ourselves into their route or timing.

Again, I think back to those records to be the youngest to fly a plane across the usa, or sail solo around the world... Young male pilots would get younger and younger each year until girls took over and kept pushing the records younger and younger... In flying until a 6 year old "pilot" wearing a "Women Fly" hat crashed by taking off into a storm to make a media appointment.
Her death didnt stop the insanity. It only stopped when everyone refused award a record.

So it switched to sailing.... Until a little girl who was asleep when a ship crashed into her because she didnt put her AIS on... nearly died... and finally whoever records these 'records' told the world the would take no more records.

Now the world seems to be locked into the "Around the World without Flying" Google it! https://www.bing.com/search?q=Around...OPRTSD&pc=OPER
Now the age is going down and down... so this week a 16 year old, next week, 14, week after a 4 year old politically savvy round-the-worlder-without-flying....

So, we need to be aware of persuasion in all its forms and ensure our decisions are *our* decisions and no one elses.

Mark
Art of persuasion be damned . The captain has the final responsibility to be in charge of the safety. Sometimes that means being the one who says no.
We are not running the rage even though you are all sick...or no we aren’t crossing the pond in November with a nor’easter developing off Hatterass.

I have crossed the Atlantic twice. Long before GPS and Satellites were used like today. First time 22 days piece of cake. Second time terrifying with 30 ft waves. I was young and dumb on a crew. Both times were in June the safest month.
SanderO, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #67 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Based on PredictWind it looks like the "ship is about to hit the fan." Will be interesting to see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

I have nothing against this young couple, but I've never been able to get into their YouTube channel. I've tried several times, and always come way feeling meh. There's just something a little too "look at me" about their attitude. And, of course, just feeling kind of sick about taking a baby out in what looks to turn into some pretty crap conditions.

I have zero experience with planning such crossings, but it sure looks a little odd to be heading so far south, only to beat against the trades toward Portugal/Spain. Are you sure they haven't decided to head for the Caribbean?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #68 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Just for giggles, one has to wonder what role Outremer plays in these decisions. The deal for the brand new million dollar boat was made on assignment of their vlog revenue. I'm sure they remain in touch on plans for the vids. It was when they bought/leased the Outremer that the nature of their videos changed and I stopped watching. Prior to this, in the Pacific, it was much more of a travel vlog. It then became click bait and, as someone else said, "look at me". Well, it's clearly worked, as they have the most sailing subscribers of any sailing channel (although, revenue per subscriber is low). Great visibility for Outremer.

I'm just guessing there were a lot of cooks in this kitchen.
mbianka and cherylchecheryl like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #69 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Quote:

Different wife, different loss.
Same Slocum.
mbianka likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #70 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just for giggles, one has to wonder what role Outremer plays in these decisions. The deal for the brand new million dollar boat was made on assignment of their vlog revenue. I'm sure they remain in touch on plans for the vids. It was when they bought/leased the Outremer that the nature of their videos changed and I stopped watching. Prior to this, in the Pacific, it was much more of a travel vlog. It then became click bait and, as someone else said, "look at me". Well, it's clearly worked, as they have the most sailing subscribers of any sailing channel (although, revenue per subscriber is low). Great visibility for Outremer.

I'm just guessing there were a lot of cooks in this kitchen.

Outremer has a brand new larger model launching real soon. Could this "bonus" be the reason to risk it by sailing to Europe this year? The extra attention from Greta may be a factor, but I'm speculating a new boat is the real catalyst to this odd trip*.

If you've watched their growth in the past year, it's pretty apparent they have a management team now behind them. They've totally transitioned from trying to appeal to sailors to instead focus on the much, much broader reality tv market. Like any stars, i'm sure they have transitioned from just themselves trying to figure this out, to a large management team with market research coming up with ideas to appeal to this new demographic. I'm not a fan, never have been, but it's the right approach to make with the success they've had. Get it while the gettin's good!

*a November crossing is not an unheard of trip for a delivery captain or a race boat, but for a cruising family with a young kid, it doesn't make sense this time of year.
Sailstrong likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in