Sailing La Vegabond - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 809Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Re: Sailing La Vegabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do they use a weather router? I don't watch much of their material, but don't recall hearing of one.

As for other early thoughts on slow motoring, that's pretty common on a long passage one can't actually motor across. It conserves fuel, disproportionately higher than the reduction in speed. Said differently, the slower you go, the more fuel efficient in miles per gallon/liter of fuel.

Crossing the North Atlantic in November, with a toddler, is reason to question their judgement. Ultimately, my position is they get to make the final call, they are the parents. However, I've seen some footage of them underway, with Elyna and the baby on the trampoline, with no pfds. In our Nanny State, that would get the kid taken away from them. Complacency kills.
Not agreeing with the vBloggers' judgment, but apparently people have done dumber things with a boat and a baby...
Attached Thumbnails
meme1.jpg  
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 558 Old 11-16-2019
Captain Obvious

I'm all in favor of what they are about, and how they make it work- , although I admit I am not really a La Vagabonde viewer. I am just really shocked they went into this gale just now.
chef2sail and mbianka like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #83 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I admire Riley, and wish I had done something like he had done, as a young man. He saved up money, working on an oil rig, went to Italy, bought his Beneteau, not knowing anything about sailing.

I don't think he's ever attended college, but he seems very intelligent and is very well-read. He realized he needed to learn how to sail his boat, if he was going to be traveling around on it, so he learned sailing and made some challenging passages. He wasn't always a luxury yacht owner. He maintained and repaired that Beneteau on his own. He taught himself diesel engine maintenance and repair, and general boat maintenance.

Then he sails into the Greek Isles and meets a lovely lady lounge singer from his home country, and falls in love. They begin to sail around, and explore the world together.

At one point, before their YouTube and social media fame took off, they had to fly home to Australia to work for a few months to save up more money. Riley went back to work on an oil ship.

They could have easily ended up living on land, toiling away at some job, like the rest of us, and sailing occasionally. Instead, they found a way to make money from their story, and the fact that they are both young and attractive. I say good for them.
I agree with your entire post. I also add that for many who dream of sailing and visiting several beautiful places but can't due to medical reasons or financial reasons they are doing the world a favor. They make content for viewers, and if the content were not good they would not be the success they are today. I have followed them for a long time and really enjoy their video's. In the winter when it is a overcast condition for several days I find their video's a welcome change. I worry about Elayna. A couple video's ago she posted how having the child has made her mentally scared of the dangerous things they sometimes do now that the child is part of the risk. She looked like she was about to have a nervous breakdown and that wasn't very long ago. I believe they even took a bit of time in a safe location to kind of take a break and let her recover a bit. This type of voyage this soon might be too much for her. I support them and wish them all the best. I am fine watching them as a travel vlog in safe sailing conditions, and I wish them all the best. I realize many here are experienced sailors and have valid concerns. I will be a bit relieved to see them safely arrive at their destination.

post #84 of 558 Old 11-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2000 View Post
I agree with your entire post. I also add that for many who dream of sailing and visiting several beautiful places but can't due to medical reasons or financial reasons they are doing the world a favor. They make content for viewers, and if the content were not good they would not be the success they are today. I have followed them for a long time and really enjoy their video's. In the winter when it is a overcast condition for several days I find their video's a welcome change. I worry about Elayna. A couple video's ago she posted how having the child has made her mentally scared of the dangerous things they sometimes do now that the child is part of the risk. She looked like she was about to have a nervous breakdown and that wasn't very long ago. I believe they even took a bit of time in a safe location to kind of take a break and let her recover a bit. This type of voyage this soon might be too much for her. I support them and wish them all the best. I am fine watching them as a travel vlog in safe sailing conditions, and I wish them all the best. I realize many here are experienced sailors and have valid concerns. I will be a bit relieved to see them safely arrive at their destination.
Elanya's not the only one. I've noticed a few other sailing Vloggers starting to become a little apprehensive about continuing with their sojourns. Could be the Cruise Blues Robert Pirsig wrote about in his essay is setting in for some of them. I agree this trip might not help her mental state depending on the conditions they encounter. She did seem pretty stressed not so long ago. Though I also wonder how Riley will hold up if him and Kiki are stuck doing two hour watches. How long can they keep that up? So far things seem to be going all right though. I don't follow La Vagabonde that often but, I wonder if they have a liferaft? I never saw one on deck. Hope they have one for this trip at least and hope they never have to use it if they do.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #85 of 558 Old 11-17-2019

Dock

Quote:
I worry about Elayna. A couple video's ago she posted how having the child has made her mentally scared of the dangerous things they sometimes do now that the child is part of the risk.
Humans are sucessful because mothers are risk adverse.
They want to pair up with the fittest hunter with the biggest, safest cave. When she pops the sprog she hunkers down in that cave protecting the kids and sends the bloke out for food.

Family groups only move when forced to by dwindling game or some external pressure.
As cruisers we need to acknowledge we are taking our partner out of their natural safe zone and to make them feel as comfortable as possible by turning the boat into their safe cave.
And to reduce risk. The percentage risk on this trip is higher than other months. It's do-able but the risk is higher. It's that increased risk that is assessed differently by each person... And can have long term effect. There's quite a few relationships that have suffered because 1 person assessed the risk in a different way than the other and now refuses to do the long passages... Or has gone home.

coupla notes of their voyage so far: so dad, Greta, and mum are just passengers? Elayna has her hands full with the baby. That just leaves Riley & Nikki to sail the boat and they're doing 2 on 2 off.
2/2 is unsustainable. I like 4 to 6 hour watches so the other gets good sleep. I would also ensure the others, seasick or not, take their turn on watch. If they are novices then get them learning now. If they are seasick getting them active is vital IMHO.

Getting proper, good HOT food in 3 times per day is *vital*... It's not just a nice thing to have when the weather breaks, but a vital necessity for everyone even if the boat is on its ear.

There was dome mention of a lot of sail changes and physical work... Ummmm, I tend to treat the boat very delicately on long passages. I don't want to break stuff. I'm probably less zealous about making sail in storms, I'm more zealous about reducing, keeping the pressure off the kit, than making fast days. Mind you with a storm brewing up the butt speed looks essential here.

Finally, as someone else mentioned, Riley and Elayna are used to passages by themselves. It must be a whole different dynamic with 5 extras on board. I noted the bit about decision making being shared. Don't come on my boat and try that.

It's all a very interesting voyage. I am sure they'll be fine. I just think the risk percentage is well outside what I personally think is acceptable for me. Now they're out there they just need to mitigate risk and carefully plot a course around these constant gales.

Mark
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-17-2019 at 04:19 AM.
post #86 of 558 Old 11-17-2019

Dock

I just checked the weather. They certainly look to be in the perfect spot on the navigatable quadrant of the low.
GFS is showing a nice avenue to remain in.
It might be bumpy out there from waves coming from all directions but it doesn't look too bad for them.
Fingers crossed it remainsike this.
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #87 of 558 Old 11-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

coupla notes of their voyage so far: so dad, Greta, and mum are just passengers? Elayna has her hands full with the baby. That just leaves Riley & Nikki to sail the boat and they're doing 2 on 2 off.
Greta is a 16 year old girl and is helping entertain the baby. Sixteen year old girls and babies usually make quick connections. Elyna has pulled many watch periods at the helm, back in their mono hull days, as well as on their cat.

Quote:

Finally, as someone else mentioned, Riley and Elayna are used to passages by themselves. It must be a whole different dynamic with 5 extras on board. I noted the bit about decision making being shared. Don't come on my boat and try that.
Mark
They have sailed plenty of times with guests, friends, and family. They have each had friends who have flown to different parts of the world to join them for a week or two at a time. For a while, they were holding drawings from their YouTube supporters, to boost interest in their videos. They would draw a name, and invite that supporting fan to join them for a week of sailing.

I believe they only have three extra people joining them, Greta, her dad, and Nikki. Nicki sounds like she has quite a sailing resume of her own, and is more of an asset to the trip, than a burden. It sounds like Greta's dad is manning the galley, and Greta is babysitting Lenny. It all sounds like a pretty great group effort, to me.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Last edited by midwesterner; 11-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #88 of 558 Old 11-17-2019

Quote:
.....I worry about Elayna. A couple video's ago she posted how having the child has made her mentally scared of the dangerous things they sometimes do now that the child is part of the risk. She looked like she was about to have a nervous breakdown......
Honestly, I'm not sure whether to take that video at face value, or whether to think that a little extra drama is helpful when you're publishing videos and making $10-20k per episode. Force me to make a bet and it's bit of both.

When they got the new boat, their subscriptions waned for a bit. I think they lost viewers like me, who were more interested in their previous South Pacific travels and depiction of living aboard. Then the catamaran viewers showed up and growth returned slowly. Once their baby was born, viewership went through the roof. One could accurately say they've exploited their baby, whether that is good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.

However, SLV has become a reality show, much more than a sailing show and reality shows are in fashion right now. Not unlike police dramas in the 70s and 80s. Reality shows sell with lots of drama.

The next to watch are SVDelos and SailingRan, both of which are having or just had their babies too. It's to be seen whether they return to the seas with them, but there is clearly a bunch of money to be made doing so.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #89 of 558 Old 11-17-2019

Quote:
Humans are sucessful because mothers are risk adverse.
They want to pair up with the fittest hunter with the biggest, safest cave. When she pops the sprog she hunkers down in that cave protecting the kids and sends the bloke out for food.

Mark
Reminded me when earlier this year they moved onto land for a week or two. Elyana seemed to really enjoy it. Riley went out spear fishing one day off the beach and swam out pretty far to find some reef. He speared a fish but, also attracted three sharks who followed him as he swam back to the beach trying to hold the fish out of the water as he did. He got scrapped up coming to shore too. Don't think he will do that again.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #90 of 558 Old 11-17-2019

SN has become another publicity channel for SLV... don't they have enough already?
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in