SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing La Vegabond

65K views 596 replies 41 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Are the You-Tubers mostly fair weather sailors or are they really capable of a wintertime crossing of the North Atlantic? It's certainly not a voyage I'd undertake lightly. The the Gulfstream in the roaring 40s in the dead of winter????

Reactions: mbianka
#12 ·
I don't watch or support them financially, but many do because they like the vids. No one is being harmed so who really cares? As long as they are respectful, leave a clean wake and maybe inspire others to experience the sea first hand... there is nothing to criticize. They were very clever in monetizing what they were doing... but clearly not every sailor could pull it off.

#17 ·
Re: Sailing La Vagabonde

I have no quarrel with them and the transportation of Greta. However, they also have their one year old, Lenny, with them. Ouch.

They did clock 22 knots on this Outremer when in the Med a year or so ago, but it was nothing like what they may experience on this trip.

#19 ·
Re: Sailing La Vagabonde

I have no quarrel with them and the transportation of Greta. However, they also have their one year old, Lenny, with them. Ouch.

They did clock 22 knots on this Outremer when in the Med a year or so ago, but it was nothing like what they may experience on this trip.
Maybe they are planing to use Greta as an Au Pair for the trip. So they can finally have some couple time together :) Then as the Wynns pointed out on their Pacific Passage it's not always serene as
people think even in good conditions. Cats can be pretty noisy in the cockpit when moving along. Also it's a beamy platform. Hope no one gets hurt after being tossed about. It's not going to like a cruise in the Bahamas.

#20 · (Edited)
Well, I shall say nothing as Riley and Elayna are friends of mine and Riley is a member of Sailnet.

I have messaged Elayna and they are both clear on my thoughts and my message of 'good luck'.

Now that I have finished commenting on this thread, I shall change the subject completely.

Have I ever told you of my 1 (one) rule of cruising?

No?

My 1 (ONE) rule of cruising is ONLY EVER SAIL IN THE RIGHT SEASON.

My other rule of cruising, lets call it Rule 1A, is NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE INFLUENCE THE TIMING OR THE ROUTE.

If anyone neglects either or both of these rules (of mine) (and Jimmy Cornells) (and Lin and Larry Pardy) (and about every other sailor who has put pen to paper) then I reserve the right to call them out.

I am sure they will come through this passage safely. However I expect them to be a tad reflective on their arrival. Taking this risk with a 1 year child on board is cause to be most reflective. And suddenly having to be responsible for a teenager and parents who are just a political agenda and the boat and owners just a . in the program, well....

Mark

#32 ·
Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 (typical charter boat):

19,700 lbs

SA/D: 13.8

D/L: 154

Outremer 45 (La Vagabonde):

13,448 lbs

SA/D: 33.6

D/L: 67.6

I dunno about the bridgedeck clearance. I'm sure that makes a large difference.
And the Outremer 45 is actually 48' long. Compare that to a charter Leopard 48 at 32,000 lbs and the fact the Outremer probably has a higher bridgedeck clearance means it will ride on top of the water rather than through the waves. Two different boats with two different intents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Dunno.

Where they are right now plugging up hill under motor escaping a developing gale up my butt I'd want the fastest boat for that motoring.
, and then I'd want the heaviest boat for the next 2,000nms.

The last 500 miles from Azores to Gibraltar can be in anything but those first few weeks with 2 gales per week coming off Hatteras... Yikes, you can flick that one right off.

I did Caribbean to UK in June 2 years ago. And when I finished it I spoke to a mate who had his 42 foot boat shipped from Caribbean to UK for US$9,000... At that price any person is a fool to sail that passage... And that's in June, the best month for it.
The North Atlantic is a tricky puddle. Outremer, Lagoon or Queen Mary.

#39 ·
I don't see why they are going south.
They are working their way into this weekends storm. Going due east could make them miss the storm entirely if passageweatger is correct. Further south and they hit the headwinds under the Azores High. And no matter what team you bat for, cats don't like headwinds for 2,000 miles.
It's tricky nav for this one.
Further, à weather router will not be the Magic Butterfly as most will not be experienced in small sailing boats in November.
It does look like the Azores High pushes all the bad weather above it. That's fine. But headwinds...

#41 ·
.....Further, à weather router will not be the Magic Butterfly as most will not be experienced in small sailing boats in November.......
Do they use a weather router? I don't watch much of their material, but don't recall hearing of one.

As for other early thoughts on slow motoring, that's pretty common on a long passage one can't actually motor across. It conserves fuel, disproportionately higher than the reduction in speed. Said differently, the slower you go, the more fuel efficient in miles per gallon/liter of fuel.

Crossing the North Atlantic in November, with a toddler, is reason to question their judgement. Ultimately, my position is they get to make the final call, they are the parents. However, I've seen some footage of them underway, with Elyna and the baby on the trampoline, with no pfds. In our Nanny State, that would get the kid taken away from them. Complacency kills.

#40 ·
Dumb Questions for the peanut gallery...

Why are they making this passage? Was it planned before Greta need a ride back to Europe? Most boats on the East Coast head to the Caribbean at this time of year and to Europe on the Summer? Seems like there was no urgency to make this crossing now and it would have been more pleasant and safer had they waited out the winter before shoving off.

(These questions may be answered on the YT channel or website neither of which I follow.)

Any thoughts?

#42 ·
They likely have enough room to carry plenty of extra fuel in jerry cans. And it would be prudent for them to carry fuel for motoring more than 1,000 miles or similar.

Nothing I have read here inspires confidence in my that Riley is acting prudently as he should. Until I learn something to the contrary... I will not support this passage and recommend that they discontinue and wait for a weather window.

#45 · (Edited)
I think its pretty clear its to take Greta back to Europe. It has the feel of a quick decision, but Im no mind reader so how would anyone know? But I think I recall reading an article (or maybe just a headline as I don't read articles about her) only a few weeks ago that she (ie her parents) were looking for a (free?) way to get back home.

Of the many things I don't know, so I am just generalising the comments to anyone, is if Riley and Elayna have done much in the way of cold weather sailing? Hasn't all their stuff been tropical downwind passages? As I look out the window of my boat in London... I can tell you that its cold, windy and wet and Im really not qualified to sail today. But virtually every day of the last month has been either cold, wet or windy, or all 3. Each week a gale/storm or crappy weather. I know London is a lot further north than Hatteras... but Cape Hatteras has a reputation for a reason. and that line Cape Hatteras - Bermuda - Azores - Spain/Gib is a line that storms start Great Lakes to the Caribbean and hit Hatteras and then turn on that line to the Azores.
Yes, they will probably be fine, a tad cold but thats just a bit of experience, go put on more clothes and hunker down. However the risk percentage is much higher than the 'proper' months to sail.

Now, a word about persuasion.... and this is not meant to be a politically loaded statement whatever... (these, again, are general comments)
We all know not to be locked into time frames imposed by friends and relatives, but sometimes we do get persuaded. Why? Because Great Aunt Betsy has a persuasive personality. (I have a mate who is an ex-police murder detective... he can fry my brain in 5 seconds)
I get the feeling that Greta's parents are very persuasive people and have taught the child persuasion. Otherwise how could she scream at elected politicians and gain some worldwide attention?
So I think its vital we guard ourselves in the future for people who might use some weird trick to persuade us to lock ourselves into their route or timing.

Again, I think back to those records to be the youngest to fly a plane across the usa, or sail solo around the world... Young male pilots would get younger and younger each year until girls took over and kept pushing the records younger and younger... In flying until a 6 year old "pilot" wearing a "Women Fly" hat crashed by taking off into a storm to make a media appointment.
Her death didnt stop the insanity. It only stopped when everyone refused award a record.

So it switched to sailing.... Until a little girl who was asleep when a ship crashed into her because she didnt put her AIS on... nearly died... and finally whoever records these 'records' told the world the would take no more records.

Now the world seems to be locked into the "Around the World without Flying" Google it! https://www.bing.com/search?q=Around+the+World+without+Flying&form=OPRTSD&pc=OPER
Now the age is going down and down... so this week a 16 year old, next week, 14, week after a 4 year old politically savvy round-the-worlder-without-flying....

So, we need to be aware of persuasion in all its forms and ensure our decisions are *our* decisions and no one elses.

Mark

#66 ·
Art of persuasion be damned . The captain has the final responsibility to be in charge of the safety. Sometimes that means being the one who says no.
We are not running the rage even though you are all sick...or no we aren't crossing the pond in November with a nor'easter developing off Hatterass.

I have crossed the Atlantic twice. Long before GPS and Satellites were used like today. First time 22 days piece of cake. Second time terrifying with 30 ft waves. I was young and dumb on a crew. Both times were in June the safest month.

#46 ·
They are about 380 miles from Bermuda doing 6 knots. I'm looking at the Windy.com and it looks like tomorrow (Saturday) they will be in 30 to 40 knots as the low developing off of Georgia/South Carolina begins to move northeast. After they get through that it looks like they will have 20 to 30 knots on the nose if they are heading to Bermuda. Anyone else seeing this scenario?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.