SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   cruising costs in Europe (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/331894-cruising-costs-europe.html)

Davil 11-14-2019 10:56 AM

cruising costs in Europe

Hi
I just finished my season cruising and looking at next year.
During this season sailing the East coast including Nova Scotia become aware of how much dockage on slips and moorings cost during high season.
Like to find out from members with experience on cruising/sailing Europe (France.Spain.Portugal.Italy.Greece.for instance.
Unfortunately (physical limitations) anchoring is possible within limits.
Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

chuck5499 11-16-2019 07:59 AM

Re: cruising costs in Europe

We have been in the Med for the past 6 years. Go though my old posting, search, and someplace you should see 10 years of cost data that give you an idea.

Davil 11-16-2019 04:36 PM

Hi Chuck
thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
very comprehensive and helpful does address the questions I have and more.
on one of your postings, you commented

"Second a lot of the marinas or tie up spots in the Med are simply docks that charge very little so why do I want to drop the hook, launch the dink, put the motor on, go to town then reverse the whole thing when we get back. Lazy? Maybe but gee it is easy to back in tie-up and see the town for a day two at just a few euro or lira or whatever."

As I plan to try out Europe and after this season cruising the Northeast found to my dismay and surprise how much needed to use marinas vs anchoring as I used to do 20 years ago. mostly due to "geriatric difficulties" I concluded that if am going to extend my cruising life will have to include more docking expenses.

I am relieved to see these marina's expenses (understand there are more expensive depending area and season) are manageable for me.
Thank you again for sharing
David

PS
how difficult will be to back up with a Monitor windvane on my transom (Cape Dory 30 MKII 1987?
I have to do it once in New Jersey and have to go bow in.

Minnewaska 11-17-2019 08:50 AM

This is interesting, as I was under the impression that dockage in the Med was spendy. Maybe just the tourist traps, which is the case everywhere.

If I'm not mistaken, Monitor makes a kit that allows you to swing it out of the way or more easily remove it. I'm not sure how you'd get off the boat, if you med moored bow first. I doubt anyone would allow it either.

I assume the dockage Chuck is referring to is Med Moor type. Back up to and tie the stern to a bulkhead, with your anchor set to hold your bow in position. The boats to your port and starboard are a few feet away. Lots of fenders! You typically need some sort of passerelle to reach the shore.

MarkofSeaLife 11-17-2019 09:03 AM

I was on the Atlantic coast and marinas are about 600 per month.

I'll try to find a rate sheet.

In the Med I was mostly anchored. Marinas can be expensive.

The sliding scale - for example Turkey - was 8 nights = 1 month. So it's crackers to pull in for a night unless you need to.

Must of the 'free' berths are if you eat in their restaurant... Which means you have no choice and are captive to rip off's.
Be careful :grin

capta 11-17-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davil (Post 2051636992)

PS
how difficult will be to back up with a Monitor windvane on my transom (Cape Dory 30 MKII 1987?
I have to do it once in New Jersey and have to go bow in.

When I circumnavigated I would not, though I could, back in to Med moor and put my vane gear to a concrete wall (or whatever). I guess it depends on one's priorities, but the vane gear was much more important to me than what other sailors thought of my docking abilities.