cruising costs in Europe - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

cruising costs in Europe

Hi
I just finished my season cruising and looking at next year.
During this season sailing the East coast including Nova Scotia become aware of how much dockage on slips and moorings cost during high season.
Like to find out from members with experience on cruising/sailing Europe (France.Spain.Portugal.Italy.Greece.for instance.
Unfortunately (physical limitations) anchoring is possible within limits.
Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Full time cruiser

Re: cruising costs in Europe

We have been in the Med for the past 6 years. Go though my old posting, search, and someplace you should see 10 years of cost data that give you an idea.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
The Following User Says Thank You to chuck5499 For This Useful Post:
Davil (3 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 6 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hi Chuck
thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
very comprehensive and helpful does address the questions I have and more.
on one of your postings, you commented

"Second a lot of the marinas or tie up spots in the Med are simply docks that charge very little so why do I want to drop the hook, launch the dink, put the motor on, go to town then reverse the whole thing when we get back. Lazy? Maybe but gee it is easy to back in tie-up and see the town for a day two at just a few euro or lira or whatever."

As I plan to try out Europe and after this season cruising the Northeast found to my dismay and surprise how much needed to use marinas vs anchoring as I used to do 20 years ago. mostly due to "geriatric difficulties" I concluded that if am going to extend my cruising life will have to include more docking expenses.

I am relieved to see these marina's expenses (understand there are more expensive depending area and season) are manageable for me.
Thank you again for sharing
David

PS
how difficult will be to back up with a Monitor windvane on my transom (Cape Dory 30 MKII 1987?
I have to do it once in New Jersey and have to go bow in.

post #4 of 6 Old 3 Weeks Ago

This is interesting, as I was under the impression that dockage in the Med was spendy. Maybe just the tourist traps, which is the case everywhere.

If I'm not mistaken, Monitor makes a kit that allows you to swing it out of the way or more easily remove it. I'm not sure how you'd get off the boat, if you med moored bow first. I doubt anyone would allow it either.

I assume the dockage Chuck is referring to is Med Moor type. Back up to and tie the stern to a bulkhead, with your anchor set to hold your bow in position. The boats to your port and starboard are a few feet away. Lots of fenders! You typically need some sort of passerelle to reach the shore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Davil (3 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 6 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

I was on the Atlantic coast and marinas are about €600 per month.

I'll try to find a rate sheet.

In the Med I was mostly anchored. Marinas can be expensive.

The sliding scale - for example Turkey - was 8 nights = 1 month. So it's crackers to pull in for a night unless you need to.

Must of the 'free' berths are if you eat in their restaurant... Which means you have no choice and are captive to rip off's.
Be careful

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 6 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

PS
how difficult will be to back up with a Monitor windvane on my transom (Cape Dory 30 MKII 1987?
I have to do it once in New Jersey and have to go bow in.
When I circumnavigated I would not, though I could, back in to Med moor and put my vane gear to a concrete wall (or whatever). I guess it depends on one's priorities, but the vane gear was much more important to me than what other sailors thought of my docking abilities.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in