NOAA Seeks Comment on Ending ALL 'Traditional' Paper Charts - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 95 Old 11-19-2019

Re: NOAA Seeks Comment on Ending ALL 'Traditional' Paper Charts

Some perspective is needed here. NOAA makes charts for US waters, and mostly inland and coastal US at that. US territories also. They do not make charts for world-wide voyaging. Other countries and companies provide those charts. NOAA is not stopping production of paper charts - they are just making charts using a new data format. You can still buy paper NOAA charts.

You will not get lost on the US coastal and inland waters. At least you shouldn't. You won't be going around the world, or even outside US coastal waters, with NOAA paper charts. At least you shouldn't.

If your angst is that you will come to grief along the US coastal or inland waters because your GPS goes out, along with all your electronic devices, and you only have the new ENC format NOAA paper charts instead of the old RNC format ones - you are over-reacting.

Celestial navigation is not going to get you into Jupiter FL Inlet. It probably won't get you into San Francisco Bay.

Mark
chef2sail likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 95 Old 11-19-2019

I know this is tangential to the topic, but anyone who is interested in how automation-dependence decreases safety may find this video interesting. It's old: 1997. But the problem - even though recognized that long ago - hasn't gotten better. Gadget addiction.

I think of this issue every time I see another skipper go by with his head buried in a screen, or hear someone planning to cross an ocean with only computers to provide course guidance.

American Airlines training: "Children of the Magenta Line."

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-19-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #53 of 95 Old 11-19-2019

Ironically, the airlines have been moving to iPads for their charts too. Again, this is not the same as gps navigation, only charting.

It really cracks me up that what we can do safely at hundreds of knots in the clouds, will kill you at 6 knots on the water, with your house in tow to take a nap in and figure it out in the morning.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 11-19-2019 at 09:00 PM.

post #54 of 95 Old 11-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Celestial navigation is not going to get you into Jupiter FL Inlet. It probably won't get you into San Francisco Bay.

Mark
True. One transitions to coastal pilotage as soon as the coast is in view, referencing compass bearings to prominences (you have a hand sighting compass, right?) and referring to the chart.

If it's clear enough to use celestial navigation to find the San Francisco environment from seaward, it's clear enough to use my eyeballs and pilotage to navigate into the Bay. If not, I'd wait offshore till I could navigate visually. I wouldn't try passing through the channel and under the bridge without at least one mile visibility - even with all my electronics working and the best chartplotter - because I need to see traffic. Not all of which has AIS. If the dewpoint to ambient temperature spread isn't more than 2 degrees C (3.6 degrees F) and the temperature isn't rising, I don't attempt it. The CG is happy to give you those numbers, if you aren't too shy to call and ask.

When it isn't clear enough to use pilotage or a sextant: "one should never be far from a good D.R.*" (marked on the chart).

* Deduced Reckoned position. (No, it's not "Dead" reckoned. That's an old misprint that got filtered down to us by an idiot editor from the abbreviation "ded.")

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-19-2019 at 11:29 PM.
post #55 of 95 Old 11-20-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbryant View Post
True. One transitions to coastal pilotage as soon as the coast is in view, referencing compass bearings to prominences (you have a hand sighting compass, right?) and referring to the chart.

If it's clear enough to use celestial navigation to find the San Francisco environment from seaward, it's clear enough to use my eyeballs and pilotage to navigate into the Bay. If not, I'd wait offshore till I could navigate visually. I wouldn't try passing through the channel and under the bridge without at least one mile visibility - even with all my electronics working and the best chartplotter - because I need to see traffic. Not all of which has AIS. If the dewpoint to ambient temperature spread isn't more than 2 degrees C (3.6 degrees F) and the temperature isn't rising, I don't attempt it. The CG is happy to give you those numbers, if you aren't too shy to call and ask.

When it isn't clear enough to use pilotage or a sextant: "one should never be far from a good D.R.*" (marked on the chart).

* Deduced Reckoned position. (No, it's not "Dead" reckoned. That's an old misprint that got filtered down to us by an idiot editor from the abbreviation "ded.")
No need to sit out and out wait the fog. Turn your radar on. Mine seems to work well in low visibility as well as being superimposed on MFD with the AIS
Minnesail likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #56 of 95 Old 11-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbryant View Post
While that’s an interesting historical fact, we all need to keep up with the times. Even the USCG navigation standards manual refers to it as dead reckoning. That is fully adopted nomenclature now. Telling a newb to say deduced would cause confusion.

Almost the entire language has evolved over time and linguists embrace it. If you really want to blow your mind, read up on the great vowel shift. Several hundred years ago, none of our vowels were pronounced the same as today. If you’re an English speaker and we’re transported back to an English street corner in the 14 century, you wouldn’t recognize a word they were saying. Life moves on.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #57 of 95 Old 11-20-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
we’re transported back to an English street corner in the 14 century, you wouldn’t recognize a word they were saying.
Mate, I'm in London now and I can't even ask directions

SanderO and Minnewaska like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #58 of 95 Old 11-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Mate, I'm in London now and I can't even ask directions

Have you visited the Science Museum to see Harrison's Chronometers? Or did you get lost ;-)
post #59 of 95 Old 11-20-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Have you visited the Science Museum to see Harrison's Chronometers? Or did you get lost ;-)

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I found it fine, but I accidentally dropped the oversized watch and it doesn't work now. I quietly slipped it back on the shelf

I left a $10 donation so they can buy a new one
Minnesail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #60 of 95 Old 11-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While that’s an interesting historical fact, we all need to keep up with the times. Even the USCG navigation standards manual refers to it as dead reckoning. That is fully adopted nomenclature now. Telling a newb to say deduced would cause confusion.

Almost the entire language has evolved over time and linguists embrace it. If you really want to blow your mind, read up on the great vowel shift. Several hundred years ago, none of our vowels were pronounced the same as today. If you’re an English speaker and we’re transported back to an English street corner in the 14 century, you wouldn’t recognize a word they were saying. Life moves on.
The etymology is surprisingly complex. This (long) article traces some of the controversy: Is ?dead reckoning? short for ?deduced reckoning?? ? The Straight Dope

While I don't see how the navigation technique has anything to do with death, and that the use of "dead" instead of "deduced" is more likely to confuse newbies, I don't feel any more compelled to correct someone when they write "dead" reckoning than I do when they write "leech" instead of "lee edge." Actually I prefer the modern aviation term "trailing edge" and other modern terms that refer to airfoils.

One can't appeal to a central authority on English. None exists. If I were teaching sailing, I would use the common terms, prefaced with the statement that: "these are historical terms invented long before aerodynamics became a science," and then mention the more modern terms that would be helpful to a student who goes on to study the behavior of airfoils.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-20-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in