NOAA Seeks Comment on Ending ALL 'Traditional' Paper Charts - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Re: NOAA Seeks Comment on Ending ALL 'Traditional' Paper Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
No need to sit out and out wait the fog. Turn your radar on. Mine seems to work well in low visibility as well as being superimposed on MFD with the AIS
Not recommended when traversing the Golden Gate Channel during ebb tide. You'll want to maintain visual separation from the logs and pilings floating out of the Bay.
SanderO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

[[[vEdited by Mod]]]

The OP thread was talking about navigation and charts and reprints.

It drifted a little to where you took it to sitting put in an ebb tide entering San Francisco Bay because of logs and pilings. What does that have to do with navigational charts

The statement makes no sense anyway. Many of us sail travel in currents where there may be logs and floating pilings, it doesn’t have to be SF Bay. Most of the logs, deadheads are underwater and you wouldn’t spot them. It doesn’t prevent us from sailing.

Let’s try and stay at least close to an OP sense of the thread. Let’s also try think about the statements we make.
I’m sure the sailors in SF Bay aren’t hanging out every foggy ebb tide. They be out there hanging out a lot as FOG is SF middle name
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-21-2019 at 04:48 AM.
post #73 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Sorry to offend the Thread Police. I will endeavor to not troll you by calling your posts "nonsense."

I've made about 50 passages through "the gate" and seen things floating there that I'm glad I could see and avoid. I saw what looked like a whole tree once. None of those objects would appear on radar. Logs don't generally have AIS. Maybe you should listen to channel 16 in the bay more frequently for all the "floating object" reports.

Two rivers empty into the bay, and when the bay drains tremendous amounts of water at ebb through that narrow channel, you'll see all sorts of things.

With equal respect....

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-21-2019 at 04:23 AM.

post #74 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbryant View Post
Sorry to offend the Thread Police. I will endeavor to not troll you by calling your posts "nonsense."

Thank you.

À note to everyone: the newer forum rules bans Trolling.

Like, lump it, or see your posts disappear, voilà.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #75 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Isn’t it possible the ENC technology development has been slowed by diversion of resources to raster?

In the age of artificial intelligence, there is no conceivable reason why we should need human cartographers choosing what to put on a chart. ENC just isn’t fully developed and that’s where we should focus our resources IMO.
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #76 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

The government isn't really taking raster charts away. Most people stopped using raster charts because better technology came along.

I say file those old raster charts where they belong, right next to the Loran C and the DECCA navigator.

If you want basic paper charts as a back up. Make your own from the ENC files. If for whatever reason you can't or don't want to make your own, there are 3rd party charts that are in many ways more yachting freindly than the big old NOAA charts.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-21-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #77 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Exactly a Katherine Hepburn kind of thing:
Mid-Atlantic accent

(Buckley was a sailor, so this is totally on topic)
Kate Hepburn had a family summer house in Old Saybrook, Conn., on Long Island Sound. I have sailed past it several times. So, again, completely on topic.
Minnesail likes this.
post #78 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Btw, I've never bought a chart from NOAA. All of the charts I have on my boat are from Maptech. If I'm understanding things correctly, we'll still be able to buy the same quality charts from them and others that we do now. Won't Maptech still be able to "curate" the up-to-date NOAA data and offer their products for sale as they do now? In short, what are the advantages to buying a map from NOAA over from a third party vendor like Maptech?
post #79 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Btw, I've never bought a chart from NOAA. All of the charts I have on my boat are from Maptech. If I'm understanding things correctly, we'll still be able to buy the same quality charts from them and others that we do now. Won't Maptech still be able to "curate" the up-to-date NOAA data and offer their products for sale as they do now? In short, what are the advantages to buying a map from NOAA over from a third party vendor like Maptech?
My understanding is that Maptech (et al) get the data from NOAA. This is where the skilled cartographers are, Maptech only packages and sells it.

I agree with Outbound, I have some qualifications but cartography is not one of them. This is a highly skilled profession. The idea that AI is going to do this is, ehm, completely unrealistic. If you understand how modern AI works, how the networks are trained and the amount of data you need for that, you know what I mean.

Looks like a cost-cutting idea by some pinhead. How many cartographers can you pay for one oil tanker on the rocks?
post #80 of 95 Old 11-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post

Looks like a cost-cutting idea by some pinhead. How many cartographers can you pay for one oil tanker on the rocks?
I don't think we want to go back to the days of oil tankers position fixing with horizontal sextant angles and running fixes.

Ships are using modern navigation techniques. An old school chartfolio for an oil tanker might cost 10's of thousands of dollars and take up an entire room for storage and it would take a second mate working full time to keep them up to date. I don't think its oil tankers or their owners pushing to save old paper chart formats. I suspect its mostly just yachtsmen.

Have a freind who is a coastal pilot, big ships. He and all his colleagues have been issued ipads for their charting needs. They aren't carrying around back packs full of paper charts.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-21-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in