SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2110.8nm into our trip and loving it

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
My family and I are over 2000nm into our trip and have loved every minute of it. We've crossed great lakes, cleared the canal, dinghied in the hudson during a tropical depression, puttered the icw, sailed chunks of the Atlantic off shore in fair weather and bad, had loggerheads bottlenose and right whales come and visit us along the way. Now we sit with a direct view of a SpaceX launch from our cockpit and I wouldn't change a thing. It's been a challenge, and we are only 1/3rd of the way done, and we wish it would never end.

We will haul in titusville so I can fix the upper rudder bushings and a mystery prop knock. We also will make the 22hr drive north to see family for christmas then return to shove off to the bahamas. Firefly was always a great boat to us but she 100% feels like home now and we don't miss our land life in the least. Anyone thinking of doing this kind of thing should do it. It takes some money but not millions, it takes a well found boat but not a circummavigator, and it is a challenge but nothing most couldn't overcome.

#4 ·
Haha fair comment Paul. We are in Titusville FL right now. Anchored just south of the veterans memorial pier. We haul out at Westland Boatyard Monday and will live aboard on the hard until the 20th. Other than the water not being swimmable (tea coloured and LOADED with jellies) this is a great spot and great people.

#11 ·
Id much prefer reading about your exploits than LaVagabonde. Keep them coming.???
Great guy too. Saved my tired a$$ one night when my anchor rode separated in the leftovers of a Nor' Easter on the Hudson River. And a true gentleman too: didn't even take video of me missing the mooring ball three times, in 47° weather...in my underwear at 2300 hrs. And yes he had a spotlight. ?

#12 ·
What a night that was! Boat life makes sure we all have memorable times lol.

The jellies here seemed to be mostly "cannonball" jellies but yesterday u say hundreds of little white ones the size of shot glasses drifting by. I'll keep posting for sure! Travelling with a 3yr old has been hilarious and so far has worked out great too.

#13 ·
Even up here in Newfoundland we've been seeing a lot more jellyfish. We came into an anchorage in September and found collections in the many thousands of them.

I'm relatively new to the island, but the few locals I talked to about this confirm that it is very weird.

Attachments

#19 ·
Very coo.
I’ve seen a Mercury, Gemini, 2 Apollo and 3 Shuttle launches and they never get old.
It’s amazing how slow it starts and then how quickly it gains.
Plus the sound is unbelievable.

Great pic

Reactions: Minnesail
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.